Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Teach myself fitting and turning

Is it possible to teach yourself fitting and turning enought to get a job as a fitter. I am a bit old for an apprentiship.

I have enough money to buy a lathe my be a 9x20 or similar.

Or would people suggest getting a bigger second hand lathe hopefully with metric calibrations.

I have done a basic fitting course (short course) and have a couple of references How to run a lathe and the green book.

Thanks heaps

Mike

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Don't under estimate yourself

Quote Originally Posted by mike j View Post
    Is it possible to teach yourself fitting and turning enought to get a job as a fitter. I am a bit old for an apprentiship.

Hi Mike J,
    Hey! don't write yourself off too early.My oldest adult apprentice has been 45 years of age. Employers value adult perspectives, attitudes and work ethic.They will teach you the rest.
    In the trade there's a lot that is not written down in the books.While book study goes hand in hand with training,nothing can take the place of a trained (insert appropriate trade group) observing and giving feedback on your practical efforts.

The other bit of important info is :
    Don't buy a Chinese lathe

Grahame

Mike from my experience unfortunately most employers want to see trade papers,Ive worked with quite a few fitter machinists who have papers ,there not worth a pinch,i suppose for 1 thing you have to decide what it is you want to do,what type of industry ,you may find it easier to get a position as a T/A and gain a bit more experience,im not sure what basics are covered in the short course you reffer to,the trade is very varied and i think you would have a problem trying to self teach yourself,theory is terrific in books but doesnt really cut it in the workshop,a lot depends on what youve done in past employment.

G'day Mike.
    Ditto what Pipeclay said.
    We have 2 fitters/ millwrights at our sawmill. One was a self taught fitter/machinist that had his own business on the south coast. Sold it and moved to the north coast. He does fantastic work. I have learnt a lot from him. The other used to pull beers at the local RSL for 10 years before doing 2 years as a fitters assistant and has now been with us for 12 years.
    One is 50 and the other is 60.

Check out if there is a "mens shed" in your area. You may find a retired Fully qualified fitter/machinist that is full of practical knowledge and would be only too please to pass on what he knows. You never know....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Quote Originally Posted by glock40sw View Post
    G'day Mike.

Check out if there is a "mens shed" in your area. You may find a retired Fully qualified fitter/machinist that is full of practical knowledge and would be only too please to pass on what he knows. You never know....
    And I have known a lot of tradespeople who will not tell you anything because they fear you may take the job off them. As others have already said, try going for a trades assistant job which will give you the opportunity to learn "hands on". Personally you cannot beat experience from having done it whether it be turning or cooking. I have seen machinist's who have walked over others more qualified than them but like in any trade, profession etc it also helps if you have natural talent for that area.

All the best in which ever direction you do go Mike.

Regards
    MH

Smile

I did an apprenticeship as a Fitter and Turner then worked in industry for many years before going to University to complete an Engineering Degree.

I am sick of people always looking to circumvent the qualification process for becoming a tradsman or an Engineer and looking for the easy road.

To become a tradsman or engineer which I now am it takes many hours of study and work experiences. Unqualified and an unregulated process for cherning out tradsmen or engineers would by puting peoples lives at risk as well as your own.

Get an adult apprenticeship..period.. if your too old let some kid have the apprenticeship.

Talking

Hi Mike,

I did my Mechanical Engineering Dip through TAFE in Newcastle. I did it part time, at night, with all the tradies who were looking to upgrade.

If I had a beer for every time one of them asked me where at BHP I worked, and were incredulous that I was a cabinetmaker, I'd have a liver like Keith Richards'.....

Also, most (but not all) of the lecturers / teachers didn't really trust me initially because I wasn't from the greasy trades.

What I'm trying to get at is it's 2007, people are now (generally) more educated, and if you're capable, GO FOR IT! I agree that an apprenticeship would definately be the way to go, but nonetheless, THERE ARE OTHER WAYS.

EXAMPLE: Mr Honda (of Honda Motor Company fame) NEVER had a qualification until Ohio State Uni gave him an HONOURARY Doctorate. All he was interested in was learning what worked, and applied that to his factory. And Honda seems to have done ok...... To quote Mr Honda "A movie ticket is worth than a Degree - The movie ticket guarentees you can see the movie, the degree doesn't guarentee You'll get a job"

In short, you CAN teach yourself, certainly. But an apprenticeship would be a an easier option. Assuming you can live on apprentice wages.

Finally, my motto below says it all, I think.
    A man who thinks that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt a man who's doing it........

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by mike j View Post

I have enough money to buy a lathe my be a 9x20 or similar.

Or would people suggest getting a bigger second hand lathe hopefully with metric calibrations.

I have done a basic fitting course (short course) and have a couple of references How to run a lathe and the green book.

Thanks heaps

Mike
    In an attempt to encompass what others have said in response to your post, yes it is possible to teach yourself fitting and turning. The end result though would be only the theory part. Knowing the theory is good, but in the real world experience counts. So while you can learn and become self taught, there will be endless situations for which you will not have the experience. However THOSE situations are precisely where you really learn the trade

If you can and have the interest and desire to, try for an apprenticeship. Even if it is a short ie 3 year apprenticeship you WILL learn more in THOSE three years than you could ever possibly teach yourself.

I became a certified Fitter and Machinist (lathes, shapers, milling m/c's etc, etc) at 19 (4 year apprenticeship). Surprisingly I never became involved in the industry, but gravitated to other jobs.

I still know how to use all the machinery and do enjoy the opportunity when available. I did a couple of TAFE *courses* to gain access to the machinery so that I could do some repairs to my then recently aquired metal lathe - needed a surface grinder and a LARGE mill

As it turned out, on reaching the end of the course, I would be less qualified than I already was I did enjoy the machine facilities available at TAFE and it was gratifying that the teacher realised I knew what I was talking about and advised the (tool) storeman to give me whatever I asked for, without having the teacher first qualify what was required.

I even got to help some of the other students when the teacher was busy

As far as buying a lathe is concerned. An older lathe tends to be a better buy than some of the new equipment. The new equipment of course is metric where perhaps an older model may be imperial.

This isn't really a problem, more of an inconvenience, though with the digital calipers these days it is very simple to work in both standards.

My lathe is almost the same age as myself, it was made in same year I was born, 1949. Obviously it is a little worn but it still very good. The spindle runout does not register on my dial gauge, so it is effectively zero runout. Close enough for my turning needs. It is of course imperial but as I said before, if necessary I whip out my digital calipers

Though I can work in both measurements, I STILL have that "gut feeling" for a thou' (thousandths of an inch), but don't get that same feeling for .02mm

Good luck in your ventures into the realm of fitting and turning ...

HTH
    Kind Regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mech Engineer View Post
    ..........I am sick of people always looking to circumvent the qualification process for becoming a tradsman or an Engineer and looking for the easy road...............
    RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) is a legitimate pathway to trade qualifications. I suppose you could say it is "circumventing" the traditional apprenticeship pathway to trade qualifications, just like taking a series of back roads rather than the motorway is "circumventing" a toll booth. Yeah, you save on the toll, but it takes longer, and it actually costs you more. I gogt my trade papers through RPL but I'd have taken the easy option of an apprenticeship if it was an option.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

As far as I know, one is never too old to get an Apprenticeship. Employers are not supposed to be able to discriminate against mature aged Apprenticeship applicants.
    We had a 60 year old apprentice a few years ago. He finished his trade and then retired. Go figure. Not something that I would condone, but possible all the same.

Sterob,

All that 60 year old apprentice did was rob a young person of the opportunity to an apprenticeship.

Yep, that's right, but my point was that an employer cannot discriminate by age( or anything else, for that matter.
    Like I said, I don't agree with someone doing that.

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Though I can work in both measurements, I STILL have that "gut feeling" for a thou' (thousandths of an inch), but don't get that same feeling for .02mm

HTH
    What about 0.0254mm...

As for apprenticeships, I know of a guy who wanted to do a plumbing app'ship but couldn't afford to live on apprentice wages, so he bought a plumbing business, became apprentice to his plumber employees, and being the boss was able to collect a decent wage.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeclay View Post
    unfortunately most employers want to see trade papers
    I've had a trade certificate since 1986 and have never been asked by any subsequent employer to sight it!?

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech Engineer View Post
    Sterob,

All that 60 year old apprentice did was rob a young person of the opportunity to an apprenticeship.
    Not really. The employer either had a choice or he may have been the ONLY candidate. Don't forget that "engineering" until recently had become a dirty word amongst school leavers, they ALL wanted IT jobs!!

Either way that employer obtained about FIVE years worth of STABLE work. The work ethic of such a person would be better than that of a younger person. Less sickies, hangovers, surfing etc, etc
    Kind Regards

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast