Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I guess it's like when you need something to hold a piece of wood a certain way, you make a jig for the job, so if we hear of a members problem maybe we can devise a way around it and make life a bit easier for them.

I also agree, it should be a separate forum, so that it can be a quick way to (hopefully) solve a few problems, instead of having to search through heaps of other threads.
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day All,
    I've kept quiet in this area, but I now realise we have so much to offer in this area.
    Tell you a story.
    I've a mate..stroke victim...70+ years of age.......lost the use of his left arm......and has a shonky left leg.
    With one handed jigs....feather boards......cam clamps.....he can work wood.
    He can make mitred boxes...he sells spud boxes, and little wheel barrows.
    He can use a small ROS one handed with adapted hold-downs.
    He can weld with an automatic mask.
    He has made the several items since his stroke:
    including a one handed gold panning machine,
    a rill for gold seeking,
    several small keepsake boxes,
    lots of spud and onion boxes,
    and miniature models of trucks/saw mills/timber jinkers, and lots more.
    I have never given him a hand on any project, apart from looking at his machines, and making one handed jigs for his machines.
    He can even make hinged boxes.......(I'm still really rough at this).
    My point is, that if he can do it........having just got into woodwork after his stroke)....then with help in the area of advice and jigs, then any person with special needs can achieve all these things.
    Maybe we ought to facilitate this.

Good thought Bob.
    Last edited by watson; 6th July 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

G'Day Noel,
    Not being a smart @rse, but may be your mate could give you some ideas for woodies in similar situations via yourself!.....
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

G'day Eric,
    Yeah, he's got a good mind........he's only ever suggested one jig though.
    It was a device that would let him plug in an extension cord, and when he was finished. to remove the lead from the extension cord.
    He even makes wedges to put under his beer glass so it doesn't froth over when he pours a can....Important stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    I think the idea is a good one and I'll bring it to Neil's attention. Before I do though, what name would be best

"Special Needs Forum"
    "Woodworkers with Disabilities"

Would something else be more appropriate?
    Bearing in mind that we are an international forum its probably best to use the most descriptive name possible.
    Different terminologies are used in different countries.
    The Yanks use the term "handicapped" .
    Oz used to use that but the term People With Disabilities evolved
    (although the term disabled people is a big no-no.

I tend to feel the term Woodworkers with Disabilities is possibly likely to be more readily understood worldwide than Special Needs Forum.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    He even makes wedges to put under his beer glass so it doesn't froth over when he pours a can....Important stuff!
    The next logical step would have to be a counterweight so it levels out as the glass fills, a lot could use this after their 5th pot onwards
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    The next logical step would have to be a counterweight so it levels out as the glass fills, a lot could use this after their 5th pot onwards
    Sturdee could work that one out I bet!

naa, just use a length of 10mm clear plastic tube..... as a straw
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thats a big "Tee Hee" from me.........
    I hope this one comes off, as it would keep the "grey matter" of the jig builders really working. Its taught me to do a lot one handed whilst testing jigs.
    I'll never let my mate see this as he'd want a counter balanced beer pourer.
    Last edited by watson; 6th July 2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: addition

I think there are excellent thoughts here, I hope this can really go somewhere,
    I dont think we should defer to the Yanks and use suitable names that they might understand, this forum is/was set up for Australians I beleive so lets keep our aussie high standards (eh, our wot?)

My son is disabled and Iam challenged.... at getting answers for him from big Gov brown nose'rs.
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Default Whatability

Thats right stick us in another hole no problem we can get out again best escape artist in the world disabled people they have to be, we get told NO you have to be attended to over their so often.

If it wasn't for disabled you'd have no-one to look up to and admire LOL

You know why the disabled have their own Olympics Its because they beat normal's records.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    At the moment I am unable to kneel to get anything off the floor and would welcome any ideas, just as I and others offered some solutions to scroll sawing fairly recently.

You could do what I do when I get a doze of the droppzy curse swear and watch how fast the wife comes running to see whats wrong...............Oh while your here can U pick that up please...........n a cuppa'd be nice too.........an some of that cake you made.
    Never fails

OK fair point wheelinround, But, does this appeal to you or are we barking up the wrong tree. Dont blame us though we just learn to do what the pollies are always doing. Blowing their fat a**e trumpets and acheiving nought.
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    watch how fast the wife comes running to see whats wrong...............Oh while your here can U pick that up please...........n a cuppa'd be nice too.........an some of that cake you made.
    Never fails
    Try that later today

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Blowing their fat a**e trumpets and acheiving nought.
    Not quite true, it calls for more meeting thus creating more jobs as they are now understaffed because of meetings being attended, better have a meeting about this too.
    Government Portals are the answer, always referred to inreports but never figured out what they are
    There is an excellent book on this subject called 'Death Sentence', referring to the demise and death of a comprehensible English language.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    OK fair point wheelinround, But, does this appeal to you or are we barking up the wrong tree. Dont blame us though we just learn to do what the pollies are always doing. Blowing their fat a**e trumpets and acheiving nought.
    Thanks for taking my point

The forum already has a Health area although this doesn't discuss the matter of how to get around difficulties. I feel that (others may feel different)
    Posting a question in normal areas is just as easy as those who have no physical or other medical problem that post asking "How Do I" and as I have seen their are enough people on the forum who jump in to lend a hand with able and disbaled persons.
    Safety is always an issue but new and innovative ideas like using a hand planner on your lathe is either an attempt to join the ranks of disabled or pure guts n brilliance. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/using-electric-planer-lathe-52154

Would Douglas Badder have been allowed to fly now????

One day we'll see wheelchair international pilots maybe, but only if we are allowed and political correctness is corrected.
    I reffer anyone that has the time to read or glance at the info from HREOC ACT
    This is a shock to anyone with a pre-exsisting condition from wearing glasses, having asthma to seriouse health problems. http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disabi...rance_adv.html

It greatly effects the return to work that is happening world wide. Governments are pushing world wide not just Australia yet its the insurance companies and unions and Workcover OH&S policies that are preventing it for any reason they can think of.
    http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disabi...uiry/index.htm

We all have discrimination from th type of coffee we drink to the beer we swill.

Now I'll get off my soap box so the Domain is free to be enjoyed by all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast