Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default A great Idea

As a person with a "disability" I am not fussed what terminology is used.

I have asked for and received heaps of help, hints and ideas from the members of this forum on a number of subjects including vehicle types, vehicle access, garage modifications, wood turning while sitting and numerous others.

I agree with a separate section if for no other reason than to keep it all together and easy to access in the future.

I have received far more and far better advice from places like this forum and other similar people than you can ever get from a Gov department.

Thanks and keep it all going. What a great community.

Macca

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Wheelin',

I thought Bob's idea was a good one, and I still do. We create forums for all sorts of groups for two main reasons:

1. for convenience for regulars so they can fairly quickly find items that interest them, whether it be a Festool, hand tool or pens, and

2. it is a great help to new members to get an idea of what is in the forums just by browsing the forums list.

A third benefit is you can quickly drop into a main group and see what's new, if anything, that may be of interest. I don't think the creation of the forum would make any special statements about the topic at hand, other than it has sufficient interest to group like posts. The Woodworking Women's forum is probably a good example.

Groggy

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Wheelin',

I thought Bob's idea was a good one, and I still do. We create forums for all sorts of groups for two main reasons:

1. for convenience for regulars so they can fairly quickly find items that interest them, whether it be a Festool, hand tool or pens, and

2. it is a great help to new members to get an idea of what is in the forums just by browsing the forums list.

A third benefit is you can quickly drop into a main group and see what's new, if anything, that may be of interest. I don't think the creation of the forum would make any special statements about the topic at hand, other than it has sufficient interest to group like posts. The Woodworking Women's forum is probably a good example.

Groggy
    As I said thats my opinion.
    I feel the more disabled situations are hidden away the rest of the world cant see the problems we face so they become blind to LIFE in ALL its reallity.

After years of fighting quietly to be recognised for who and what I am and for what I could do not what I couldn't do.
    Sorry I get a little hum...........................testie regarding being told you must assimilate/join in be one of the group only to be told by the same idiots your different we dont want to know you when it suits them. ie - Politicians, do gooders.

Many items that have been invented to help disabled person of the years are now everyday items in your daily lives.

Look around you, bet you can't come up with 10 items.

I admire all those who work with disabled people with genuine hearts....its the money grubbers who P&^% me off.

I have been disabled all my life by people who regard themselves as superior yet these same people cant get off their BUTTS to save themselves.

Who's more disabled ?
    1 A drug taker who cant get by without a fix even if its recreational ?
    2 A person who cant stop smoking ?
    3 A wood turner ??

A= they are all the same

Well, the forum has now been created and this is the first thread in it. I hope that anyone who has a requirement for a different approach for woodworking can find their answers here. Whatever the issue may be, if it requires a different technique or approach, hopefully they'll be able to find an answer here.

Not having looked around the 'net' much, would this forum be one of the biggest as in subject matter available.I know there are others esp. overseas but they tend to be centered on one area or centered on their own egos.
    Just curious?
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Not having looked around the 'net' much, would this forum be one of the biggest as in subject matter available.I know there are others esp. overseas but they tend to be centered on one area or centered on their own egos.
    Just curious?
    This is definitely one of the biggest (most frequented) and, I think, one of the broadest in coverage.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Who's more disabled ?
    1 A drug taker who cant get by without a fix even if its recreational ?
    2 A person who cant stop smoking ?
    3 A wood turner ??
    3,which excludes me as I only own a lathe.
    Define a disability, 1 & 2 are addictions not disabilities, list my disabilities, can't work with camphor laurel, does that count?
    Bloody narrow minded approach
    And I work with disabled people because I can help, I get paid because I need to live, lets be realistic.
    That is an extremely narrow minded approach.
    Red deflector on but I really don't give a Cliff Rogers Siberian Hamsters Sphincter
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    3,which excludes me as I only own a lathe.
    Define a disability, 1 & 2 are addictions not disabilities, list my disabilities, can't work with camphor laurel, does that count?
    Bloody narrow minded approach
    And I work with disabled people because I can help, I get paid because I need to live, lets be realistic.
    That is an extremely narrow minded approach.
    Red deflector on but I really don't give a Cliff Rogers Siberian Hamsters Sphincter
    Thats right define disability now you have it.
    dis·a·bil·i·ty play_dis·a·bil·i·ties 1. a. The condition of being disabled; incapacity. Does this mean those who are generaly regarded as healthy ....can't turn wood disabled, or ride a push bike, play tennis, footy or even chess. It is their incapacity not to be able to do these things makes all of us disabled.
    YES!!!this includes your disability not to be able to use Camphor for what ever reason

b. The period of such a condition: Anyone with any medical condition is disabled

2. A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area. Does this include closed midned individuals who cant accept perfect people or those who cant admit they have a disability. Being affraid of something is a disability!!!!!!

3. Something that hinders or incapacitates. This says it all and proves my point we all have something that hinders our lives and therefore incapacitates our ABILITY to do something.

Wearing glasses IS a disablility, Arthritis, Asthma.
    Is the disability the problem where the drug taker cant say NO before starting
    They only become addicts after constant use they are not additicts before hand becoming an addict makes them disabled.
    The same goes for 2 & 3
    All of these can kill but we are all born to die its one of lifes truths "Live for tomorrow die for today"

I agree with Groggy & Tonto of all the forums I have used in many years (15+) it has to be the most comprehensive regarding coverage of topics and I praise the owner of the forum for his efforts including this new forum for with it we may see that disabled have a voice somewhere else and can once again prove they are as good if not better at setting goals and achievments.

As for calling me narrow minded .........I say thank you it shows I have one use it daily

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post

I agree with Groggy & Tonto of all the forums I have used in many years (15+) it has to be the most comprehensive regarding coverage of topics and I praise the owner of the forum for his efforts including this new forum for with it we may see that disabled have a voice somewhere else and can once again prove they are as good if not better at setting goals and achievments.

As for calling me narrow minded .........I say thank you it shows I have one use it daily
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Wonder if a thread for the woodies who have special challenges would be helpful.

Comments ---
    Well I have now started using it and I put a couple of topics on so far and it is good that we have a place to go that is specifically for disabled people and woodwork

Bob
    Cheers,
    Bob

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...og.php?u=14230 CNC Router Wood Suppliers

Well I can only speak for myself, lost my lower right leg and totally paralysed my right arm in a road traffic accident back in 1978 when I was 19, started woodturning about 18 months ago, can I woodturn with only the use of my left hand, you bet your ass I can, can I rebuild a car, you better believe it.

Disability, what disability, only ever use that tag when I want to draw attention to myself and my abilities to give encouragement to so called able bodied people to try and achieve my standards.

Am I big headed, no definately not, just proud of my grit and determination, and of the results of my efforts.

Call em what you like, we are the same as you, maybe a bit or 2 missing, but who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedster View Post
    Well I can only speak for myself, lost my lower right leg and totally paralysed my right arm in a road traffic accident back in 1978 when I was 19, started woodturning about 18 months ago, can I woodturn with only the use of my left hand, you bet your ass I can, can I rebuild a car, you better believe it.

Disability, what disability, only ever use that tag when I want to draw attention to myself and my abilities to give encouragement to so called able bodied people to try and achieve my standards.

Am I big headed, no definately not, just proud of my grit and determination, and of the results of my efforts.

Call em what you like, we are the same as you, maybe a bit or 2 missing, but who cares.

Dead right, it's a case of getting more use out of what you have left (or right!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zedster View Post

And with a wee drop a Dram and pure Scottish heritage I wouldn't expect anything else

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Thats a big "Tee Hee" from me.........
    I hope this one comes off, as it would keep the "grey matter" of the jig builders really working. Its taught me to do a lot one handed whilst testing jigs.
    I'll never let my mate see this as he'd want a counter balanced beer pourer.
    hi there, how are you, i myself have only the use of my rite arm and always looking for jig`s to help me. so if you have any i would appreciate it if you would pass them on to me. many thanks, Jemmy.

Quote Originally Posted by jemmy View Post
    hi there, how are you, i myself have only the use of my rite arm and always looking for jig`s to help me. so if you have any i would appreciate it if you would pass them on to me. many thanks, Jemmy.
    Hi Jemmy

Do a search for Niki a member from Poland who makes some fantastic stuff with full instructions and photos.

My problem is strength in the hands and legs neruo-muscular problem well after 40+ years they still don't know exactly what the problem is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast