Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Rotary Hammer Drill for drilling really hard concrete

Hi guys

I am laying a new timber floor on top of a slab and will be dynabolting the joists direct to the slab.

I have been using my old Bosch hammer drill and it's just not able to get the 10mm tunsgten drill bit to "bite" into the really hard concrete slab. The drill bit is brand new and good quality and does eventually drill some holes but either the drill of my back is going to break!

As I have about 100 holes to drill to a depth of about 50mm I was going to hire something with more "guts" but decided that I might as well add to the workshop perhaps a cheap GMC or OZITO Rotary Hammer that can take SDS drill bits.

Am I correct in assuming that these types of drills will make drilling the holes into hard concrete a "piece of cake"?

Thanks for any comments your can provide.

Regard
    Greg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lateral View Post
    Hi guys

As I have about 100 holes to drill to a depth of about 50mm I was going to hire something with more "guts" but decided that I might as well add to the workshop perhaps a cheap GMC or OZITO Rotary Hammer that can take SDS drill bits.

Am I correct in assuming that these types of drills will make drilling the holes into hard concrete a "piece of cake"?

Regard
    Greg

G'day Greg

A rotary Hammer drill will certainly make life easier....I use a rotary hammer to punch 20mm holes in 4 inch slabs and have never had a problem (except when you manage to find the reo )

As for the GMC or Ozito brand, I dont have any experience with these, I have had a Ramset (stolen ), a Bosh and a cordless Panasonic. I suspect the choice of brands is just a mater of life expectancy. And these brands may serve very well for what you have in mind. Others may have more idea on this.

Plus you should always take any excuse you can to add to the tools collection

cheers
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by lateral View Post

Thanks for any comments your can provide.

Regard
    Greg
    Go the Ozito, for $67 you cant go wrong.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=37551

Al

G'day.
    I have the GMC version and it is great. Has had a hard life and is still going strong.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

And if you do buy one, the less pressure you use the faster it drills, let the drill do the work and it will be over before you know it.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

I bought one after reading Al's original post and used it with chisel point last week to break up some concrete.
    It never faltered and has paid for itself already
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Another vote for the Ozito ..... drilling with the Bosh hammer drill was so painful ..... the Ozito is so much easier I end up drilling more holes.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

I bought a Metabo UHE22 a couple of weeks ago - it is terrific. Rotary hammer is the only way to go - just point it at the brick "Think" about a hole, and there it is

Maybe not quite that easy, but compared to impact only hammer drills, it is. I had thought about buying something like th Ozito, but I generally only want to buy something once, because it isn't going to fail when I'm not using it.

Mine was around $460 (comes with a few bits, chisel & point), but you can get a Bosch blue rotary hammer for something like $260 - in fact Bunnies actually had the best price on one of those ($245 I think). I think the Bosch may have been rated a bit higher (24mm) but I can't remember. Makita was around that price and DeWalt was a bit dearer I think.

Good luck with whatever you get, you wont know yourself drilling concrete with RH.
    Semtex fixes all

Hi Guys

I went to Bunnings and bought a GMS 1500 Watt RHD...and boy does it make life easier! It cost me $97 and came with some chisel bits and SDS Plus drill bits.

Regards
    Greg

Sounds like a winner.
    Semtex fixes all

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Mine is a dynalink, same as the other mentioned with a different lable, first time I used it I though I had a hollow brick, now I just know what it can do.
    For $70 odd you really can't go wrong.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

yeah just be careful going out and buying the cheap and nasty sds bits because I have come across some crap out in the marketn and they are not worth the time and hassle go and buy some from a reputable brand metabo,hilti or even dare i say it Makita I know what your going to say yeah I will probably use them again after this job but trust me you will and you will be glad you went for quality over crap.... Oh by the way since when has Ozito had any quality tools? I believe power tools have overall slipped in regards to quality and build someone told me GMC stands for (good makita copy)? My ole man has some of the toughest tools and one of them is a 25 year old Balck & decker 9 inch circ saw that has really has a hidding over the years and you cannot go past hitachi 9" angle grinders or any range of Panasonic cordless drills for pure rotary hammer drills hilti is probably the best I have used

I agree with you regarding buying good quality tools as I have always purchased "trade" quality products such as Bosch Blue etc. I did not really want to spend $500 on a RHD as I would not be using it more than a few times a year.

Regards
    Greg

Do you know anyone with the little Festool C12 cordless drill you could borrow? No cords and will easly do the trick

OZITO Rotary Hammer that can take SDS drill bits I brought the 1100W model, just watch the bolts that hold on the gearbox at the front, I was using the hammer drill to jackhammer up some concrete and chisel down around some rock in a retaining wall, well the alen keyed screws all popped out in the concrete. Back to Bunnings for a replacement. New model does not seem to have come loose but keep an eye on it anyways.