Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: www.sawstop.com

Default www.sawstop.com

Anyone seen these before - amazing )

Anyone know where or if you can get one in Australia or how much they cost.

If they are not available what is the safest table saw that you know of. I have never had one before and they scare me.

A mate lost half of his finger on one and he had years of experience and I wish for my fingers or hand to stay safely attached to my body.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think they cost an arm and a leg, so it would be cheaper to lose 'alf a finger..

Al

I got into contact with Sawstop maybe 6 months ago, and they definitely aren't thinking about distributing into Oz in the short term. Too small a market and they need back-up for warranty / servicing etc.

Even aside from the saw-stop device, they look a good machine. Riving knife, decent fence etc.

But we'll have to wait a few years I suggest before they venture down our way. The latest Powermatic saw - I think the PM 2000 - was at least 12 months late on the market after it's intro in the US. And that is despite the already-established network of Jet / Powermatic distributors here.

Jeff

Here is a bit of infomation regarding the sawstop I got when I made inquiries. they retail for about $3000-3900US depending on motor and accessory options..... cheaper than a finger. lets see if I got this quote thing worked out....
    Andrew,

Thank you for your interest in SawStop. One point I wish to make before answering your question is in reference to the SawStop warranty. Should you move this saw to Australia , the warranty as it stands will be void. If an issue does come up that needs on-site help, we will not be able to accommodate that. Also, if an issue arises where a part or saw needs to be shipped, we will not be able to bear the cost of the shipping to Australia . With that in mind, most any issues that have arisen thus far on our saw have been able to be handled over the phone. If there is an issue with a part we deem needs to be replaced, we will supply that part, but the shipping cost will need to be covered by you. We do intend to have a Dealer of our saws in Australia within the next couple of years, so at that time, this issue will be a moot point.

As to your question, once you move there will be only one part you will need to change out to accommodate the power in Australia . This is a part that you can change out yourself with a tool that you can purchase at an auto store. The part is called an motor pulley and it is currently listed at $15. When you make the move, just give us a call and we can supply the part.

Sincerely,
    Patty Terrazzino
    Sales Manager

SawStop, LLC
    25977 SW Canyon Creek Road, Suite G
    Wilsonville, OR 97070

Direct: 503-582-9044
    Office: 503-570-3200
    Fax: 503-570-3303

<HR tabIndex=-1 align=center width="100%" SIZE=2>
    Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:23 PM
    To: Soraya Stelle
    Subject: motor options

Hi I am living in Naperville and have been looking at your saw at my local Woodcraft store (Woodridge/Downers Grove in Illinois) I have a question regarding the motor option for the saw as If I purchase one, I would eventually be taking it back to Australia with me. The voltage and fequency in Australia is single phase, 240 volt @ 50Hz. Would your saw's single phase 230 volt motor work OK at the Australian voltage/frequency? Do you do a motor option for the export market? Could I swap out the original motor for a suitable Australian voltage/frequency replacement motor once I am back in Australia ? Would this effect the safety features of your product?

I look forward to your reply.

Andrew Robinson

And they told me last year that they'd have an Australian supplier by mid year THIS year....
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by sundancewfs View Post
    they [sawstop] retail for about $3000-3900US depending on motor and accessory options.....
    So Andrew, on a straight conversion (using US 85 cents = AUD $1) that would be about AUD$3,600 to AUD$4,700 then add $1000 (say) for the higher retail margins in Australia compared to the US (anyone done a $ for $ comparison US to Australia comparing the retail margins for a top of the range Powermatic?) and you're looking at a price range of AUD$4,500—$6,000.

At that price how competitive is the Sawstop compared to say a Hammer?

ian

Its an interesting market over here. There seems to be a lot of woodworkers. most of the people I know have at least a 10" tablesaw. Powermatic, Delta, Jet, General, Steel City, etc etc.... plus all the other suff. The yanks don't seem so big on sliding table type euro machines or combo machines (in fact its only in the last few years they have started adding things like riving (splitter) knives to their models. You have to take into account the economy of scale in the US too. Consider that they are the third highest population base in the world after China and India. Also the fact that they love to spend money and spend too much some time, as the current stock market and housing sector is showing. I had someone offer me an almost brand new Powermatic 10" saw with all the goodies, extension tables, upgraded fence etc etc for $1000US at a garage sale the otherday. Back on topic though.... The Sawstop saw is an excellent unit. I think when they decided to build it they had the choice. Make a saw with the safety features, but scrimp on the build quality and rely on the safety feature to sell it, or build a solid, well built saw with the safety of their stop unit as a feature to the whole. They did the latter. The build quality is great.

So besides the SAWSTOP what readily available table saw in AUS would be the safest.

I mean I know it obviosuly depends on how you use it but anyone have any suggestions?

that would be the one hanging in my shed, wouldn't cut butter
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Default safe saw!

Every saw is safe, as is every tool. Just us idiots using them makes them dangerous.

1. Never use the saw without a riving knife and guard , this is a yank thing not to.

2. Draw a line (with a texta) on the table at least 50mm all the way around the blade, and never let any part of you body cross that line.

3. Push sticks are the only thing that can cross that line. They are easy and cheap to make.

4. Use safety goggles AND earmuffs.

5. Keep the blade sharp - less effort to push work through.

6. Keep work area clear.

7. Remove distractions - walkman/Ipods, children, wife etc.

Most of these things are common sense and should be a matter of course but we all need reminding from time to time.

Happy sawing

8. Never stand straight behind the timber you are pushing through the saw.
    So if it kicks back you are out of the danger zone
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arry View Post
    So besides the SAWSTOP what readily available table saw in AUS would be the safest.

I mean I know it obviosuly depends on how you use it but anyone have any suggestions?
    I would imagine the euro-style sliders are safest. In theory, you should never get anywhere near the blade.

Or, taking another tack, the Festool TS series saws which are not table saws of course but can perform like one, has a built-in riving knife, and the blade retracts into the housing when you let it go.
    Cheers,

Bob

I can say that the Powermatic 2000 is a very nice saw. I liked it so much I bought one. I was originally going to buy a combination machine but in the end I found I had more room in my garage than I thought I was going to have and the economic situation also changed, as it usually does, for the worse. Mind you, I'm not complaining, the PM 2000 is a very nice saw.

Gripes? A couple.

1. There were a few spots that could have done with a bit more paint.
    2. The saw is spectacularly out of alignment. I say is because I haven't fixed this yet due to a lack of time.
    3. Would have been nice to have had a sticker on the fence box (there were four including the table board) saying which one to open first. i.e. the one with the instructions.
    4. The table board has a huge dip running across the table. Something I will fix by creating a new table but it frankly should not have left the factory.

Everything else is of very high quality construction. Even the paint problems are not a big deal.

By the way, any guidance on adjusting the table top to align the mitre slot to the blade would be appreciated. I've found it to be immensely frustrating using a saw blade. I've been considering buying one of these, unless someone has an idea where I can something similar here.