Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Tie Down bolts to put in cement (J bolts)

I am enclosing under an old queensland, I have had concrete stumps replaced by steel posts and I indend to frame between the steel posts to put but a wheatherboard wall (outside) and line the inside. However I needed to extend the concrete slab to the new edge where the steel posts are, I am having this professionally done, but I want to have some die down bolts to bolt the framing to the floor. I know I need something like a J shaped bolt. Can anybody recommend size and where I can obtain them (need them in a hurry so price is not a big consideration and I dont need that many).frank.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Just get some 10mm booker rod, put a nut on it or just bend it, and tie it to the reo. Or just use dynabolts.

I'd just spaghetti and nail them down unless there are specific tie down regulations. Brisbane's not cyclone area is it?

I assume dynabolts would cost more and are more prone to failure. Not to mention require drilling into something I am just about to pour.

10mm booker rod, is this name for threaded rod, eg you cut it yourself?

spaghetti and nail, I get the nail idea, but I thought I would need to higher a ramset gun to nail into concrete plus I am worried about cracking/chipping the slab.

Spaghetti, oh well I missed that all together.

I guess I dont need tie down but more something to secure the framing to the floor. Any ideas today (tuesday) as tommorrow the concrete gets poured.

Spaghetti is the plastic sleeve that you slide into the hole you drilled in the concrete so that the the nail or screw will bind in the hole. I agree with pawnhead, just install fastenings at the time of framing. you can use 100mm batten screws - a 6mm rotary hammer drill will drill straight thru pine framing and concrete in one go. If you put fastenings in the conctrete, you won't be able to preassemble the wall and knock it into place.

Cheers
    Michael

I was also reading is you can hand nail a concrete nail.

I have a rotary hammer drill (cheap ozito that's coped a flogging to date). I am not sure if I am going to pre-assemble though. The real issue is I have two steel posts, and timber joist above and concrete slab below. I really wanted to ensure that it fits tight to brace the house which has the shakes at the moment, months later its still freaking the wife out.

But I will take your advise and put secure the framing later.

More walls won't stop upstaairs shaking. Diagonal braces need to be in your plan. The weatherboard sheeting isn't that tough.

I was planning to use plywood bracing on the inside of the walls, I thought this would be sufficient.

Brissy,
    Have you sought council approval for what you are doing? It will probably be needed especially if you are going to be actively using the space downstairs. Better safe than sorry. Check before you do anything just in case.
    Have a nice day - Cheers