Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Plug it repair

Default Plug it repair

Can anyone help me fix the plug it connection. I restore timber decking and can be on my hands and knees for 5-6 hours sanding out the edges where my large belt sander won't fit. I use extensively the festool ras 115 and then clean up the swirl marks with the Rotex 150. It seems that I always have the cord caught under my knee when I need to move the sander. Consequently the cord always seems to finally break up in the head of the cord. I would like to cut out the broken section of wire and be able to use it again. I an getting tired of $38.00 a pop for what should be an easy repair. I just can't figure out how to seperate the head that plugs into the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jimj www.restore-a-deck.com.au

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The cord cap (plug-it end) on the integrated vac hose/power cord used on the boom arm is removable. You can identify this type of cord cap because it has a green nut just behind the plug it connector.

Check with you distributor to see if you can get one of these as a spare part without the hose. For that matter, you may be able to get a plug-it cord cap itself as a spare part.

The downside to this is that it might break more often than the integral, molded cord cap.

Just in case others are thinking about this, this type of cord cap is not available in the US.

Dear Powertool,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if we are talking about the same cord. The one I want to pull apart is the one that plugs into my Rotex 150. If this is the correct one. How does it come apart?

Thank you

JimJ

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Dear Powertool,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if we are talking about the same cord. The one I want to pull apart is the one that plugs into my Rotex 150. If this is the correct one. How does it come apart?

Thank you

JimJ
    He is saying that it doesn't come apart, it is moulded. But you can perhaps buy the one that does come apart, replace your moulded plug with that one, and then can easily remove it for future repairs.
    Cheers,

Bob

Default Part available from Festool

The plug-it plug you need is Festool part # 489685 RK-PLUG IT and is quoted at $32.40 on their web site...

If you get a replacement plug it should be then obvious how its pulled apart.

Geoff

489685 (like this http://www.idealtools.com.au/prod2800.htm) is designed to repair broken plug-it cables. The one that comes fitted to your plug-it cable supplied with your tool is moulded on including the read green ring, cannot be dismantled. Having said that, someone might be prepared to cut one up and mess with it, but this is not recommended.

Back to 489685 - this can be assembled and disassembled, the rear green locking ring is octagon for removal by spanner.

Thank you everyone who helped me with this. I now understand that I have unrepairable cord and will now purchase the one that will allow me to dismantle the cap and repair the wire. I feel a lot better knowing that it wasn't the beer at the end of a hard day of sanding decks that prevented me from dismantling the cap. Short of taking an axe to it to seperate the cap it is pleasing to know it can't be done. I won't waste any more beer drinking time.

Thanks again,

JimJ www.restore-a-deck.com.au

Default plug it

I picked up the plug it that can be taken apart and the wire repaired. Still not cheap at 28.00 but at least when the wire starts to break it can be fixed. It was pleasing to cut the wire and reinstall the new plug and put it into the Rotex and it worked.

Thanks again for steering me into the right direction

jimj