Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Jim Michalak Ladybug

Have started building a Jim Michalak Ladybug,a 14' camp-cruiser with free-standing balanced lug rig & pivoting leeboard.This design is,I think,a development of his very popular 11' Pickup & Woobo designs,but enlarged & with side seating instead of sitting on the floor.Nothing wrong with sitting on the floor except that these boats have a double-chined hull so when heeled you would tend to slide to leeward more easily.Ladybug has side seating.Very civilised.

If anyone else has started one I would like to hear from you here.

I started a new thread as I have already discussed how I came to choose Ladybug over other fancied designs in a previous thread.

While I still hanker for more of a performance design,my good wife & sailing partner had a major influence on the decision.

But I have to admit I like the concept behind Jim's designs which is to produce a boat that is practical,performs well & involves the simplest structure & rig so you end up with a boat that,while it won't win a beauty contest,is very usable.....& at an affordable price.

His plans are clear,simple,well dimensioned & have a brief & simple ,but concise description of the building sequence & how to make your own sail.A first-timer will have no trouble reading these plans & he has written an excellent book on boat building that would be a sound investment for a novice builder.

I have attached a photo of the first Ladybug built by Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks Magazine & he & his wife love it.Look how relaxed those three are leaning back on the gunwale as they slip along nicely in a fresh breeze.

Way to go!

Cant wait to test-fly mine.

Al

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I hope that you'll post lots of pics of your progress. They do look relaxed and that's going to be a real motivator during the build. Good luck!
    Rob

Rob,

I've actually made most of the parts already....bulkhead frame timbers cut & bevelled,all the other solid hull timbers cut,rudder,lee-board made,just getting onto mast & spars.Will buy hull plywood soon & get that cut out ready for assembly.

btw,all of the above is from left-over material from previous projects....never throw anything away!....one day it will be used.Wives don't seem to see it this way but it's true!

My practice is to make boats in reverse....most people make the hull,then the little bits but I do it the other way round.Then put it all together.Takes up valuable work area space for a shorter time this way.Think about it.Just as much fun too!

I'll try to remember to take a few pics during assembly.

This is a very well designed simple boat that will go together easily.
    Al.

Hi Aussie,

I am a big Michalak fan and I know of a Fat Cat and a Piccup under construction in Brisbane at present.

I am currently building a Larsboat and have plans for Family Skiff. I have to admit that, seeing the first photo of a Family Skiff in the last newsletter, I felt a little ill and decided its just too ugly, (It may yet form the basis of a low powerboat with straightened lines, a horizontal deck and stepped chine though)

The Ladybug and Mayfly16, on the other hand are not bad looking given their 'form over function' concept.

I'd love to see construction photos if you get time to post some.
    Charter boat? What charter boat!?

Default Michalak in Newcastle

Hi Ausie

There's a Michalak Blobster building in Birmingham Gardens too! Actually, looks like being the first one finished, I think.

I'll post him an email with a link to this thread

Greg F

Good Greg,I'll catch up with him one day.I haven't been on the Michalak site for a while & seem to have missed him there.

Dink,the Familly Skiff does look more a power boat with that fine entry,but I would not be put off by that pronounced sheer until you see the boat from other angles.

First time I saw a GI15 it was the strong curve of the sheer,much like an Australian surfboat, that took my eye,but as you walk around that boat the lines flow wonderfully & she has a strong characterful shape that looks even better on the water.

But as you have observed,Ladybug & the Mayflies have similar cockpits & differ mainly with one being multi-chined & the others flat bottom.

Al.

Default Michalak Blobster

Hi Ausie,
    Greg F emailed me today to let me know of your posting here (thanks Greg). Yes, I'm building Jim M's Blobster design. Just about got it finished and ready to drag out of the garage, up the drive way and (I hope) on to her trailer. I'm really pleased with the way she has gone together. There is a lot of boat here for just under 16 feet! There are some photos of the construction on the Michalak Yahoo Groups site.

I'm wondering how many other Michalak builders are out there in Australia and around the Newcastle area in particular. I have a picture of a Michalak Messabout in my mind that could be great fun!

Cheers
    Miles

Miles,

I'm interested to come & visit one day & see how you're progressing.Nothing to see at my end yet,just a pile of bits & pieces.

It'll be towards the end of the month as I'm up to my eyeballs at the moment making a WRC outdoor dining table & seats for an old friend & will then be out of OZ for a few weeks visiting daughter.

Your progress so far looks good....you must be having lots of fun.

Al.