Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cheers everybody for their reply.

I decided to take things into my own hands, turned off the unit. turned off pilot light, get rubber malet out.. knock the gas valve box (in/out box)

fire up pilot again.... turn thermostat on.....Bobs ur uncle....

Thanks all again for your replies, much appreciated :aussie3:

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Are you serious ? you hit the gas control valve with a mallet and it worked ?
    The gas valve is usually solenoid driven on late models and is operated by the electronic controller.
    I hope the gas valve isnt stuck to the on position now and potentially allows uncombusted gases to flow if the pilot goes out.... Cheers

no solenoid is not stuck open..... lol...

our is a old style ducted.... never been serviced....
    and no i dont recommend anyone hit it with a hammer...

jus thought i would give it a try and it worked... i kinda knew in the first place that it was the solenoid as I tested that there was enough current to trip the solenoid.

Default Brivis

Hi,
    I am trouble in getting my ducts on when central heating is on. It shows all i.e. fan running, gas seems to be fired as only radiant heat is coming out of all the ducts but no flow of air?
    any suggestions? what is the location of Motto? 2-3 montsh ago it came out and service man fixed it and got $100 (just plug in)--I am wondering whether it came out again?
    pl suggest

So many variable, but it sounds to me like the main duct has fallen off, which is what happened to ours at first..... the heat melted the crap gaffer tape they used and down she came ..... went into the roof space and it was lovely and warm ...... the heating bill that month was something to be believed! I suggest getting up in the roof and checking that first. After that, if you can verify that the fan is operational, it may be that the unit is 'cycling' but not getting to full throttle so to speak. This is what happened in our case .... we could hear it running and all that but no joy out of the ducts. I bought a replacement thermocouple and presto..... then I bought another for the next time it fails.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Quote Originally Posted by seriph1 View Post
    So many variable, but it sounds to me like the main duct has fallen off, which is what happened to ours at first..... the heat melted the crap gaffer tape they used and down she came ..... went into the roof space and it was lovely and warm ...... the heating bill that month was something to be believed! I suggest getting up in the roof and checking that first. After that, if you can verify that the fan is operational, it may be that the unit is 'cycling' but not getting to full throttle so to speak. This is what happened in our case .... we could hear it running and all that but no joy out of the ducts. I bought a replacement thermocouple and presto..... then I bought another for the next time it fails.
    We've currently got the same problem. Fans spin, pilot lights up but nothing comes out of the ducts.
    Tomorrow ill change the gaffer tape and see if that does the trick. Otherwise ill try changing the thermocouple, but my question is where abouts do I buy one from and is it easy to install?

Cheers

If your fan is on and burners are on then the thermocouple is not the problem. If your thermocouple is knackered then your pilot will not stay lit. There must be a duct that has fallen off somewhere.

Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Tools View Post
    If your fan is on and burners are on then the thermocouple is not the problem. If your thermocouple is knackered then your pilot will not stay lit. There must be a duct that has fallen off somewhere.

Tools
    Cheers buddy. But the thing is nothing is coming out of any ducts so i guess there must be something wrong with the two main ducts coming out of the unit. Will change the gaffer tape tomorrow and check all ducts.

if the ducts are off then hot air will be raging throughout your roof space, and that'll be easy to fix.... If it isnt that, then I believe a call to the Brivis hotline (number should be on your t/stat) may be in order..... or a local service agent if you know one..... the fault I described was fixed by changing the thermocouple, which took minutes. Though I am trained in electronics engineering, I can't recall anything that was particularly difficult. One piece of advice again, even though I mentioned it previously..... buy another one for next time. The place I bought them from was in West Melbourne but I can't recall their name ..... will try and find the receipt. You'll obviously need to know the precise model number of your unit. For what it's worth, ours has two thermocouples. I replaced both.... they bend over time due to the heat, then they fail. As mentioned, our unit turned on...... fans ran..... gas ignited and then turned off...repeatedly.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Our ducted heating is acutally under the house. I went under the house today and noticed that one of ducts had a problem which what caused no air to come out. The core bit which is inside the insulation snapped and blocked the air going through.

Rang up spare parts and they quoted $60 for 6m worth of core, insulation and sleeve for the 12" 1300mm (this is what it said on the sleeve). Not sure what the 1300mm is. Does it matter if I buy a 12" 500mm (for example)?

Anyone know of any other places that sell the core, insulation and sleeve?

Quote Originally Posted by gt88 View Post
    Our ducted heating is acutally under the house. I went under the house today and noticed that one of ducts had a problem which what caused no air to come out. The core bit which is inside the insulation snapped and blocked the air going through.
    Had a problem with the lack of heat to 2 ducts, bathroom & bedroom, turns out the duct tape let go at one of the joins, the spiders under the house had been kept nice & warm for a day or 2, have to get some decent cloth tape I think.

Anyone know of any other places that sell the core, insulation and sleeve?
    I did see ducting at Bunnings a month or three ago. I didn't really take any notice of the size or price though, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrian View Post
    I did see ducting at Bunnings a month or three ago. I didn't really take any notice of the size or price though, sorry.
    Thanks for that mate. Will head down there in the coming days for a look.

Can anyone help me with the 1300mm thing? I know it has to be 12" due to the extract from the unit which the ducts connect to is 12" but im not sure what the 1300mm relates to.

Why can't it just be reattached?
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Quote Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Tools
    Hi
    We have only lived here 6 months and other house had a younger heater than this one which is a Buffalo approx 80's model Now when we light the pilot it stays on while heating but when we switch the manual thermostat off the pilot goes out and have to go and relight each time Brivis want $175 to come out (ripoff) Any ideas and what is a thermocouple
    Also does anyone know if a model this old can have an electronic thermostat instead of the manual type
    Presume someone other than Brivis can come and look (hopefully cheaper)

Just looked up thermocouple on How stuff works

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast