Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sydney Train Travel at Night?

G'day all,

Have friends traveling to Sydney next month and they would like to visit a league's club for dinner etc.

To get back to where they are staying they either need to take a cab or take a train. They are a little concerned that night train travel could be a problem as they are all [4] in their early 60's.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Bob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Bob,

In general train travel in Sydney is not a problem. Recommendations are to ride in the middle cars, marked with a blue light, where the guard is stationed.

My Daughter often travels to and from Uni at night, although usually with a couple of mates. I am generally more concerned in her getting to or from station at either end.

That said, there are some areas and lines which have had problems. If you pm me with journey details, I will chime in with my 2c worth.

regards
    Alastair

I agree with Alastair - there are fewer issues on the trains than getting to and from the station. The worst a that you come across are drunk youths. in the middle blue light carriages they rarely muck up. If your friends are in their 60's they are likely to be traveling home before the really 'heavy' louts get on tanked to the gills - after 11.00 pm (esp on Fri and Sat).
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

My experience is that the trains are reasonably safe. As has been said, it's the taxi ranks and the stations you have to be wary of. Tell them to ensure they don't have to be at the station any longer then necessary and if they go to say Penrith or Parramatta leagues, catch a country train, less stops and the taxi drivers know there will be a large number getting off and they will be waiting at the rank for fares.
    An elderly friend recently had their purse stolen getting off the train. She made the mistake of getting her purse out to get her ticket out ready, some grubs waited till the train stopped and the doors opened, grabbed the purse and knocked her to the ground as they took off, by the time she got to her feet and raised the alarm, they were gone (St Marys). She was on her own tho, it just takes a bit of care and common sense.

Bob K

Many thanks for the responses.

There are 4 of them, one is a huge Bulldogs fan [don't ask me why ] so the thought is to go to the league's club as a surprise for him. They are staying at an apartment in Elizabeth Bay and it appears that it could be a Friday or Saturday night - hence the concerns which have also been noted above.

All 4 have traveled before including Europe and never have had a problem - probably because they try and do their homework first as every city has areas where you shouldn't go unless you know what you are doing.

Wasn't aware of the guard's van/blue light tip, so that is a good one to file away.

Regards,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Many thanks for the responses.

There are 4 of them, one is a huge Bulldogs fan [don't ask me why ] so the thought is to go to the league's club as a surprise for him. They are staying at an apartment in Elizabeth Bay and it appears that it could be a Friday or Saturday night - hence the concerns which have also been noted above.

All 4 have traveled before including Europe and never have had a problem - probably because they try and do their homework first as every city has areas where you shouldn't go unless you know what you are doing.

Wasn't aware of the guard's van/blue light tip, so that is a good one to file away.

Regards,
    Bob
    Biggest problem is likely to be tanked up leagueies

Club is a block from Belmore station, which should be fine.

Ridesafe on train, (Blue light coach)

Elizabeth Bay is close to rail, ( Kings Cross station), and while the Cross has the reputation, it is so full of people 'till late at night, that risks are small. A "walk on the wild side" would also be interesting. (Maybe more interesting if you venture down the side streets). Also cabs tend to roam there, which is a bonus.

I would probably just as a precaution download train schedules from Cityrail.com.au, to minimise time standing around on station.

Enjoy
    Alastair

would be no issue in kings cross / elizabeth bay lots of people around at that time of night, more than likely a club bus to station from leguaes club.

Red face

There are plenty of other clubs (Other than Leagues Clubs) that do meals and entertainment as well or better.They are scattered all over Sydney, so why travel, except for the surprise for 25% of the party.
    As another "out of towner"my advice is to follow all that has been said, but, irrespective of how bad the behaviour is,studiously ignore it .The little bastards set out to shock and provoke.Don't "make their night".
    Oh, and don't rely on the transport cops.They are about as useful as an ash-tray on a motor bike!!!

I'd second Gaza's recommendation to catch the Club Courtesy Bus - the Leagues club runs one, I've seen it parked there often enough - just check with the staff at reception about times. My memory of the club is that it is a lot more than a block from the station. Mates family were/are big Dogs fans & club supporters & know all the ins & outs, including the buses. The club itself has become very genteel these days

There is also a regular government bus service that runs past the club to/from Canterbury Railway station and the City and some rail hubs like Strathfield.

If they have NSW "Senior's" cards, get the $2.50 all day rail/bus pass.

Thanks all for your contributions - I have passed it on.

Regards,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Hi Bob,

In general train travel in Sydney is not a problem. Recommendations are to ride in the middle cars, marked with a blue light, where the guard is stationed.
    I remember seeing the notice in the carriages "At night, travel in the compartment marked with a blue light" which some local wag had altered by strategically scratching off certain letters. The result was that patrons were advised "At night, rave naked with a blue light."
    "If something is really worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - GK Chesterton

Really depends on which suburbs.
    I am not generalizing, or being racist (due to the over representation of certain ethnic backgrounds within certain areas of Sydney) , but statistics indicated that the number of crimes, especially violent crimes are highly overrepresented in the western suburbs (campbelltown, blacktown, etc).

Note that the 'guards' have no police powers.
    all they can do is ask an offender/drunk to leave the train, and radio the police (which, by the time they get there the offenders would of assaulted the guard/someone else) and ran off

But yes I do agree that the trains in themselves are not that dangerous compared to the train station, the walk home, etc.

Thanks for the comments