Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default victa lawn mower - fuel blockage

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to start pulling apart my very old very dodgy victa lawnmaster 2 stroke mower.

The problem as far as I can tell is a fuel blockage. the fuel is getting from the tank to the plastic bit which i guess is the carby. All Ive done so far is pull the tank off and blow through all hoses that deliver fuel to the carby and from the carby to the bit near the spark plug. That highly technical test doesnt seem to show up any problems although I'm not reallyy sure what I should expect.

Any suggestions or references to a good online step by step manual on how to go about it would be much appreciated!

thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

HI andrew

These are a much maligned carb but do work if serviced.

They have a float and needle and seat like most carbs and a membrane that can perish with time. they also have a wire in them that kills the power when you move the throttle to stop.

Getting him off is easy. Unbolt the throttle and hose that runs from the handlebars down to the carby. Pull the fuel line from the tank to the carby at the carby. Now twist the whole carby unit counter clockwise and pull towards you it should come off.

there is a black cap on the side that you can prise off with a flat screwdriver. Watch out for the spring inside. Does the black diaphragm look ok?. Put your finger on the inside of the carby where it met the engine and you can push a valve in and out that moves the diaphragm and changes the engine speed.

The diaphragm is held on with a steel plate that slides off the valve. Slide this over and off and then pull the diaphragm off the valve. Now you should be able to see the needle and seat and fuel float. Hook it back up to the fuel tank and put it lower than the tank and see if fuel runs out. Push the fuel float up and see if it stops the fuel.

You may need to blow through it to clear any blockages. You can also wash it all up with fuel to clean everything. Put a new seat in if it doesnt stop the fuel flowing othewise assembly is a reverse.

This is from memory so if anything doesnt make sense just explain what it looks like.

good luck

dazzler

I don't know about y'all's aussie mowers, but over here we have little tiny ports inside our carbs in the needle. When you take the Carb apart look for them. Take a little tiny wire and make sure they are clean/clear. If you don't, when you put it all back together and install it still won't work right, (unless of course they weren't' the problem in the first place) .
    Wood. Such a wonderful substance.

Ok spring has sprung, the grass is getting longer and I can't really put the mower fix off any longer.

I've followed Dazzlers instructions and have managed to get the carb off, pull it apart, inspect the diaphram (it looks ok) and remove it.

Now I can push the valve (white plastic pin) up and down with my finger, but when its connected to fuel there is no fuel flow anywhere. Even when I pump the primer with my finger (the little rubber half ball on the side) no fuel is visable anywhere.

My challenge now seem to be that the throttle cable isn't connected at the carb end. Its been like this for ages and Ive just used the fuel cock to stop the engine. I imagine the end of the throttle cable is meant to go through the hole in the circular plastic plate (see pic)??

I pulled off the side of the carb (where the fuel from tank connects) using the screw and cleaned out the needle and seat (there was some gunk in there) but as I write this im thinking that maybe when I put it back together I did the screw up like a normal screw (i.e. tight) when it is probably a flow control screw...

anyway any more advice, particularly on the throttle cable would be appreciated. (you can see it and the hole in the first photo...)

thanks

Well done

To fit the throttle cable to the plastic bit (variable choke ) it needs to come in at an angle and then twist back level. So you hold the carb and the throttle wire comes in at about a 45 deg angle, the ball bit of the cable at the end slots into his little hole and then pivot the cable so it sits square.

Okay, that sounds like a crap description but I am tired .

Get some wire (paper clips are good) and gently prod away in the orifices of the carb entry and hose etc to check they are not blocked with crud.

She runs!!!

I managed to get the cable into the plastic bit where it fits beautifully and works like a charm.

The main problem i was having at the end was that I'd put the float back together upside down, as soon as it dawned on me that that it was upside down I put it all together, gave a couple of yanks and off she went!!

i'm very pleased that I can actually use the thorttle to stop the mower rather than the petrol stop cock. much more convenient!

The most satisfying part of the whole project was saying to the better half 'see I told you I could fix it without taking it to the mower man!'.

Thanks heaps for your help Dazzler. I feel like I actually learnt something which I reckon is the main thing.

Thanks again

Default thanks

I followed your joint instructions/report and was able to fix a fuel problem- grass around filter that surrounds the brass securing bolt of the plate (with fuel line in and primer bulb) concealing the needle and seat. I had some problems with the kill switch mechanism, fitting the two wires in such a way as to achieve function. It took a bit of fiddling and thinking until I realised that the wires themselves stayed in position and the plate operated by the throttle cable just slid across to make contact with the brass fitting on the end of the first wire.

Could you tell me how to remove the diaphragm? I followed your instructions until I slid off the plate, but then didn't have the confidence to go further. Does the diaphragm pull off the arrow head of the plastic valve apparatus?

Anyway, my problem could have been solved by just taking out the brass screw as described and checking out the whole filter/needle/seat set up. The needle fell out when I removed the plate, and I was confused as to which way the needle should sit. It looks like I was right and the pointed end sits into the brass inlet.

Thanks again. I've saved heaps of time and probably a fair few bucks.

andrew29,
    I suggest you still turn off the petrol and let the mower stop this way because if you just turn it off via the thorttle you will get an oil build up in the carburator which will make it hard to start.

Regards,
    Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post

Could you tell me how to remove the diaphragm? I followed your instructions until I slid off the plate, but then didn't have the confidence to go further. Does the diaphragm pull off the arrow head of the plastic valve apparatus?

Hi

Yep, just pull and twist and it will come off.

cheers

Default still have problems

Thanks guys for all your help.
    After following all advice so far, my mower now starts, runs for about 20 secs, then revs up to max before cutting out. any ideas? also I have not reconnected the cutout wires. should the rubber boot be attached and sealed regardless?

Quote Originally Posted by marloo View Post
    After following all advice so far, my mower now starts, runs for about 20 secs, then revs up to max before cutting out.
    It's suffering fuel starvation for some reason. It revs as the mixture leans out.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Thumbs up

Do sheep have a carby??

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Do sheep have a carby??
    No, but they can still suffer from fuel starvation

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

After following all advice so far, my mower now starts, runs for about 20 secs, then revs up to max before cutting out. any ideas? also I have not reconnected the cutout wires. should the rubber boot be attached and sealed regardless?
    hi there
    i would be encline to check the needle and float,sometimes they can stick and check there isn't anything wrong with your fuel line, blow through it if you have to

hi there
    it sounds like you have a fuel blockage in the carby, first unscrew th centre fuel jet, this will release the plastic cover and seal.(2)find a thin piece of wire,(copper wire is good), and were you have unscrew the centre main jet, that is were it will be blocked, be sure not to damage thread.(3)put float and needle in place cover plate and seal, screw centre jet,(not too tight) prime and pull cable, let me know how you went.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast