Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default sandvik mitre box

I recently bought a Sandvik mitre box (called a box but would more correctly be a guide).

However when I got home I found no instructions (what sort of dimwit would need instructions anyhow.

The trouble was that on closer examination the vertical saw guide is actualy a couple of degrees from the vertical and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Has anyone experience of this type of guide or know why the so called vertical is not?

Denn

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Denn,
    I have one of those, although it appears from your pic that it is made of plastic - is it? Mine is alloy and I bought it primarily because I couldn't cut a square cut to save me life! I only used it to cut framing studs and noggins so I guess that a couple of degrees wouldn't be a problem. It is designed to be used with a crosscut or panel saw, just holding it against the timber with one hand while you saw with the other. I haven't used it for years because I can afford to expend those little electrons as well as being inherently lazy.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Oops, why isn't it vertical? On mine, the angle is locked by a pin on the swivel locating in a hole in the base. If there is stuff in the hole preventing a full seating, then the blade guide will not be square.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by graemet View Post
    G'day Denn,
    I have one of those, although it appears from your pic that it is made of plastic - is it? Mine is alloy and I bought it primarily because I couldn't cut a square cut to save me life! I only used it to cut framing studs and noggins so I guess that a couple of degrees wouldn't be a problem. It is designed to be used with a crosscut or panel saw, just holding it against the timber with one hand while you saw with the other. I haven't used it for years because I can afford to expend those little electrons as well as being inherently lazy.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Yes Graeme,

I reckon that mine is exactly the same as yours, I like to use hand tools occasionally because I have more control over the result.

G'day Denn,
    Cheers
    Graeme
    Oops, why isn't it vertical? On mine, the angle is locked by a pin on the swivel locating in a hole in the base. If there is stuff in the hole preventing a full seating, then the blade guide will not be square.
    Cheers
    Graeme
    Okay I am presuming that they are the same. Now I can guarentee that the swivels are seated correctly.
    If you set the guide at any angle (use 90degrees for the sake of the exersise) and then set a trysquare against the upright, is the upright vertical or not? Mine is a couple of degrees out of vertical.

The pic was a lazy mans effort (I pulled it from the Sandvic site) and is not great so if you wish I will take a better pic tomorrow that shows my point - it's too late for me tonight.

Denn

G'day Denn,

This is probably way off the mark but there is a school of thought which under cuts miters so that the top surface will always close up fully making it look better and also easier to adjust an ill fitting joint. I don't have one of these jigs so this is a guess re your problem.

You also mention that it doesn't match your square - not trying to be funny but have you checked the square - many in the shops are not exact but require tuning before use. If you are unsure of how to check - mark a line on a piece of timber which allows you to scribe a line as long as your square, flip the square along the same edge face and check the line - the line and the square should be the same.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    G'day Denn,

This is probably way off the mark but there is a school of thought which under cuts miters so that the top surface will always close up fully making it look better and also easier to adjust an ill fitting joint. I don't have one of these jigs so this is a guess re your problem.

You also mention that it doesn't match your square - not trying to be funny but have you checked the square - many in the shops are not exact but require tuning before use. If you are unsure of how to check - mark a line on a piece of timber which allows you to scribe a line as long as your square, flip the square along the same edge face and check the line - the line and the square should be the same.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Bob
    Thanks Bob, your first suggestion did enter my mind but not for long - the amount that it is off vertical is possibly 2+ degrees - much more than could be pulled by a clamp. That also answers your second idea - at that amount it is visibly off vertical evan without a square, the square just verifies the fact.

I'm off to the shed to take a picture of it.

Denn

here we go

See what you mean - that to me would appear to be a complete waste of time.

You say it was bought recently, So I guess you have a couple of options,

Email your pix and text to Sandvik and ask for an explanation as well as instructions which were missing which could possibly outline some adjustment or tuning - would be interesting to hear their reply as Sandvik used to have a good rep - not sure if it still is today.

Return to place of purchase for replacement or refund as it does appear to be faulty.

Last option - bin it and chalk it down to experience - neither satisfactory nor solving your problem.

Regards,
    Bob

I think that if I don't get anywhere on the forum, I shall write to sandvik (now Bacho) because I don't believe it is a fault, after all the thing is cast alloy so once the mould is set all the castings are identical. I rather think that it is a deliberate offset for some reason or other.

As you say Sandvic are/were good tools, I have some of thier chisels and am more than happy with them.

Thanks for your suggestions
    Denn