Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What oil to use on my deck?

I have two questions actually.

My brother's deck is approx 18 months old and he has never once re-oiled hes deck. (silly boy) so now it looks all black and weathered etc.

After scrubbing and cleaning it what oil would you recommend. I am in Perth and as you know our summers are often long and hot.

My deck is only 6 months old. I have oiled it twice and the oil was a polyurethane one from memory. My deck is still nice looking but I want to oil it again soon. Any suggestions on what to use?

I visited the wood show in Perth last weekend and took a brochure from this company:

http://www.organoil.com.au

and also http://www.ecowoodoil.com

Any comments would be appreciated?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

As no-one has replied I thought I would post another question.

I just used Napisan Oxy Action Max on a small section of my deck and scrubbed it hard. It seemed to remove a lot of dirt and muck etc.

Question: Would this remove the oil as well as it doesn't seem to bead as much as where I haven't done this as yet.

Many thanks

I'm a bit confused with your terminology there Arry. To my way of thinking, a deck oil is more like an oil, it soaks into the wood, and seals it basically because water and oil don't mix. Polyurethane is more like a clear paint, it dry hard chemically and seals out moisture that way. So oiling over polyurethane, or polyurethaning over deck oil? Maybe I'm wrong but this doesn't sound like the right combination. Any one else got ideas?

Hi Arry,
    I have used Organoil on a 100m2 deck. So far it has held up very well in the protected/undercover areas.
    I'm still not convinced about how its stood up to the elements, in the fully exposed areas. It's hard when you don't have anything to compare it to.
    I plan to use it again for the next coat (within the next 6 months) and will reserve my decision until after the second coat has been on a while.

Also keep in mind what Amb said regarding the issues of using oil over polyu.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Sorry, I think my terminology was wrong. I was doing it from memory.

The product that I used was this one: http://www.urethanecoatings.com.au/DeckingOil.htm

Would the Napisan remove all of the oil or just some of it etc ie I don't know how hard I should scrub the deck etc

Default Decl Oil etc

Arry,

If you have used a polyutethane, its a sand back job. If its gone black and daggy, it could be poly that has cracked and let in the weather - its still a sand back job. If it is bare timeber that's gone grey oxalivc acid is the go - you get it from paint suppliers. One of the trade names for it is renuwood - or somthing similar. Have got exposed steps at my place and use Wattyl Deck Oil, Works as good as any, but you still have to re do it about every 9-12 months. But these steps are in full sunlight - facing north, so it is pretty severe. And like Perth the summers get quite warm in Brisbane.

Good luck
    Colin Howkins
    Graceville Qld

Thanks for all of the advice so far.
    As mentioned, the oil that I have used on my own deck is this product:

http://www.urethanecoatings.com.au/DeckingOil.htm

I will probably use this on my brothers deck as well.

How long after preparing the deck, ie scrubbing and cleaning it before I should oil it.

I know you need to apparently wait 3 days for the timber to dry out etc. I don't want to wait too long there otherwise the stains, blackening, dirt, much etc may come back

Any suggestions

Default Decking

Quote Originally Posted by Arry View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice so far.
    As mentioned, the oil that I have used on my own deck is this product:

http://www.urethanecoatings.com.au/DeckingOil.htm

I will probably use this on my brothers deck as well.

How long after preparing the deck, ie scrubbing and cleaning it before I should oil it.

I know you need to apparently wait 3 days for the timber to dry out etc. I don't want to wait too long there otherwise the stains, blackening, dirt, much etc may come back

Any suggestions
    Arry,

I reckon after the cleaning and scrubbing (do it one weekend) and if there is no rain during the week re-coat the following weekend

Colin Howkins
    Graceville. Qld