Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default As the worm turns

Got a question I hoping for some advice with. I bought some crotch elm from a fellow I met at the grocery store. It has absolutely gorgeous figure so I took a chance. The problem is that it has been significantly worm eaten. However, after dining the borers left behind their little sawdust(?) packing in almost all the holes. Now ,while not as hard as the surrounding wood, it does have some hardness to it. If I sand it and finish over will the packing stay put over the years, or will sometime in the future will it lose it's toughness and fall out? I would rather not dig it all out and fill with filler and try and match the color. The figure is so busy the holes are not very noticable as they are. Pictures below and thanx ahead of time.

Attachment 54701

Attachment 54702
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

anybody who gloats over their purchase of Elm easpecilly from grocery stores gets no sympathy from me
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

I admit to a certain amount of showboating . However, I do want any suggestions concerning worm hole repair.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Hi Capt, I don't know about the longevity as is, but if you drop a couple of drops of liquid glue into each hole it may stand the test of time. Only a thought.
    Regards

Are you talking about the superficial holes or packed sections of the burrows? Superficial holes should be no problem, you could either leave them for an "antique" look or fill them. From your description it appears that you are talking about the sections. If you dig out the material, mix it with glue and pack it again it should look just about exactly as it looks now, but won't fall off in the future. Because of the added volume of the glue, you could have some leftover to fill some superficial holes if you wish.

A good soaking with CA should do the trick.

Thanks for the advice. Like a dummy , I've already dug out the holes on the least holey piece. I'll try and save the castings on the rest. It should work well F&E . I've already been having bad dreams of going myopic with six or seven different colored pencils trying to match the figure.

William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Zero View Post
    Got a question I hoping for some advice with. I bought some crotch elm from a fellow I met at the grocery store.
    Mate, if thats what you're being offered in a grocery store whats available on the street.. Ebony??
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

It was one of those weird things that would never work in a novel. I only took up WW about 7-8 mos. ago and don't know anyone else who shares this hobby. I was standing in line at the payout of the grocery and this guy my age comes up behind me. We both had copious amounts of sawdust on our clothes and starting chatting. It turns out he had read a WW magazine from a while back about a guy up northeast who milled his own lumber with a chainsaw and a small bandsaw from windfall and scrap. It intrigued him and he pulled his dads old tools out and started playing with it. He said he still didn't really know what to do with the boards he was cutting but he enjoyed the patterns he was getting. I started talking about the boxes I recently had been making, and suggested he might like to try that. He asked me if I might like to take a look and maybe buy some of his wood. You can see what I couldn't live without. And he's got a slab of the same except spalted from a different part of same tree he's cutting up for me later this week. Will post pics when I get it.

William Blake

That is beautiful wood, love the flame in the first pic (third board from left counting the one partially cut off). I can almost see a face (sad woman looking down) in it... it could just be my imagination but I love it.

Corbs
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

Bugga me, thought you must have stayed at drinks with the Officers for too long Corbs but I think I see it too