Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Artist who is Into Woodworks

Hello everyone!

I'm just new in here. I'm more of an artist and my work is focused on making family oil portraits. I noticed recently that artworks framed in wood are more attractive to customers over those that use only ordinary ones. Probably it's because of the artistry and the difficulty that highlight the whole artwork. For this reason, I'm trying to learn wood carving for our frames and perhaps, given the time, I can learn more than this.

I'm really glad I found this forum

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome portrait
    One of the simplest methods of getting the frame to look smart is to use a scraper shaped slightly so that as you scrape it along the wood it leaves a pattern in the timber... this can be on the face of the timber or around the edges

One thing though... as a portrait artist Id suggest you make your frames simple perhaps a gentle line around the outter edge... your portrait is or should be the focal point of the whole the frame should not take away from the picture... the viewers eye should be drawn to the portrait not the frame.

ahem... Ive had a few "discussions" with my paint and canvas artist sister about this very thing and although its fine and dandy to have a nice carved and wonderful frame around a picture be it a landscape a still or a portrait... as an artist the actual painting is what should be of attention the frame is just an after thought if you will... the painting should be the focal point of the whole the frame should be simple with perhaps slight raised or recessed work on it

Best with it... and since youve been here for awhile now where are the pics??

Cheers
    Shane

ahem... thats not to say that frames cannot be different or made to look "weird" as the thread somewhere here shows... it depends a lot on the purpose of the framing in that other thread case it was to highlight and bring together 3 peices of work so the shape needed to flow while keeping all the pictures together... the frame in the end result works... its also not to say that a wide large frame wont work for a smaller picture just that it doesnt look "right" you know? keep the frame simple and the attention on the picture is best.

okay found it for you Apricots thread on his making some strange shaped frames for a particular purpose.

Cheers... and again welcome!
    Shane
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

tap tap tappetty tap???

I take up me megaphone and while lettin myself ROCK AN ROLL!!!!

Wakey wakey

ah well must be busy

man this is hard work this I can tell yer
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

man this is hard work this I can tell yer [/QUOTE]

for who? us to read or you matey to produce
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    man this is hard work this I can tell yer
    for who? us to read or you matey to produce [/QUOTE]

For me!!! Strewth tryin to get her to respond is bloody well like pullin hens teeth!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo View Post
    Strewth tryin to get her to respond is bloody well like pullin hens teeth!!
    Yeh, for someone who is "really glad I found this forum", it's strange that she hasn't logged in again since a few minutes after posting this thread.

Never mind WD, we appreciate your efforts.

Now thats nice to know mate

But seriously... Id really like to keep yarnin with her... seems Im kinda drawn to arty pharty sheilas of late... well I do tend to tell em what I think and get them rather upset even when Im bein bloody nice I still upset em!

Sheilas eh?