Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to buy tools in Hong Kong?

Hello,

Where are tool shops in Hong Kong?

There was adviced that there was in Lockhard Road some tool shops, providing chinese planes, chisels and such. So far nothing.

If You guys could help, it would be cool.

sumu

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Here is an answer I got to the same question last year.

Flyingduck said...
    Cliff, if you are after some tools, check out Reclamation St in Mong Kong, and also Apilu St in Sham Shui Po. They sell a lot of good quality Japanese hand tools which we don't get in Oz for reasonable prices. Most people in these shops can't speak a word of English, so expect to do a lot of pointing. Don't ask any questions, as the standard reply is yes.

I went to both, watch out for Reclamation St. it is confusing 'cos it has a break in it that you have to walk around. Lots of hardware type stuff.

Apilu St. is very interesting, all the side streets in that area are loaded with other stuff, all packed together competing in the same stuff.
    Streets full of fabric, streets full of craft stuff, streets full of electronics/electrical stuff. Allow lots of time to just look.

I did find some Japanese stuff but it wasn't the top line stuff.
    I found one tool shop in Reclamation street, top end near the break, that had Majufang (sp) planes, lots of them in all different sizes.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Thanks Cliff .

My pal is there now, so let's see what kind of catch there will be.

Any comments on those "brands"? Muijingfang is one we know, rumoured to be decent if there is a bit luck.

Any other brands worth checking out, possibly tagged also in western nouns ?

sumu

The M'fang is the only one I saw that I recognised... I got one of the smallest ones available for a mate who makes wooden boats.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

> I went to both, watch out for Reclamation St. it is confusing 'cos it has
    > a break in it that you have to walk around. Lots of hardware type stuff.
    > I found one tool shop in Reclamation street, top end near the break,
    > that had Majufang (sp) planes, lots of them in all different sizes.[/quote]

I really did not see any break there? I wonder whereabouts in the (the number) that might have been? The Reclamation street in South turned more into a fruit thing, then I turned back and went back up again.

Really, really hard to find anything from there. Hand tools are apparently out, the only place I found - the stuff was so hidden that even the staff almost could not find it. The clerk was saying it's now done using electric tools instead...

- J

Cliff is right. Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po (Apliu Street) are the only places really. They deal mainly in electrical tools. Sham Shui Po carries a lot of 2nd hand stuff. The start of the street up near the Dragon Centre has a lot of fake Bosch and Makita. It's the street vendors and the shops if you know who to ask. Don't make the mistake of buying anything cause it's all crap.

There are a few shops in the first section selling precession tools. Lot of Japanese stuff at reasonable prices.

There are a couple of street stands in the middle with 2nd hand stuff but it's all had a pretty rough time.

I find the best is the one of the last shops on the right when looking back towards Mong Kok. Picked up 3 Makita routers off him last time. Bargained pretty hard and got a good price. Helps if you speak the lingo. (I lived in HK from 88 - 97)

The whole of Mong Kok on the left side of Nathan when heading away from Tsim Sha Tsui... Don't be affraid to get into some of the alleys...

Good Luck!
    Is it wrong to be in love with a sawbench?

Moi J,

Quote Originally Posted by jakiiski View Post
    >

I really did not see any break there? I wonder whereabouts in the (the number) that might have been? The Reclamation street in South turned more into a fruit thing, then I turned back and went back up again.

Really, really hard to find anything from there. Hand tools are apparently out, the only place I found - the stuff was so hidden that even the staff almost could not find it. The clerk was saying it's now done using electric tools instead...

- J
    Heey, J, tell us something we don't know already .

Have you found anything else so far?

sumu

Quote Originally Posted by jakiiski View Post
    >...I really did not see any break there? I wonder whereabouts in the (the number) that might have been? ....

Look at this map & follow Reclaimation St up to Mong Kok Rd. You will see that it stops & the starts again at Bute St. & goes right up to Prince Edward Rd.
    You have to walk via Canton Rd. or Shanghai St. to get around the break.

I found 2 places with hand tools, one was just around the corner from Reclaimation St. in Mong Kok Rd. (towards Shanghai St.) & the other was in the block between Mong Kok Rd & Fife St. ( I Think. ) It might be worth noting these instructions & if you don't find them, substitute Argyle St. where I said Mong Kok Rd. It was may last year.

You can also see from this map that Apliu St. has a break in it too.

Hope that helps.
    Cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    You can also see from this map that Apliu St. has a break in it too. Hope that helps.
    The other side of Apliu leads into the old go-downs and is only good if you're interested in buying 10,000 jacket toggles or YKK zippers... I know you already know that Cliff...

If someone lets me know exactly what they're looking for, I could ask my old man. He still lives on a yacht in Sai Kung. He knows every tool shop in HK and is the only person I know with more tools than me

We went into a shop over there that just had beads..... millions of them.
    Cliff.

Default A place in Lockhardt Road..

I found now one tool shop in Lockhart place, they had 3 kinds of planes (at least), 1 Stanley block plane (something like 9 1/2) but that was really expensive (280 HK$). Then one smaller and larger wooden Chinese type plane.

The smaller one is the more impressive one of those, it's made of Ebony and it's even got a brass insert at the mouth. Brand is Duwell and it's got a really funny sticker "Finest Quality Since 2003".... Historical perspective is apparently quite relative...

The bigger one is a lacquered wooden around size 4-5 plane, but it's not as finished one as the 1st one I found close to Reclamation street.

I was really looking to find this kind of Wooden handplanes and now I've got 7 of them, 1+3 bigger ones, 3 smaller ones... Good souvenirs and I'll give or sell away the extra ones.

A million thanks to you gentlemen, you've been more helpful than the concierge at the hotel (who tries to help, but simply just does not know these things).

> I find the best is the one of the last shops on the right when looking
    > back towards Mong Kok. Picked up 3 Makita routers off him last time.
    > Bargained pretty hard and got a good price. Helps if you speak the lingo.

What's a good price and what models were they? Are they cheaper here than in Australia for example? A big router would be nice for a router table... But, it would have to have (or at least would be nice to be able to get) all the collets, 1/4", 6 mm, 8 mm, 12 mm and 1/2".

- J

I paid HK300 for a used Makita 3612BR, HK220 for a 3600BR and HK150 for a 3701. The 3612 needed new bearings. The 3600 was missing the plastic bottom of the base plate and a few other minor things. The 3701 was like new.

As for one machine with all collet sizes... Two trains of thought on that one... I prefer small machines for small bits big machines to drive 12mm and 1/2 inch. The big Maks come with a reduction sleeve for 1/4 inch but it's not designed for prolonged use...

I found the nice planes now, 3-4 times the price of the cheaper ones, but quality was much much better. I got one really tiny one, one smaller (like Stanley 9 1/2) and one number 4 size.

Now I've got a total of 10 planes, a colleague was joking that if someone ever asks me how Hong Kong was, I can say it was pretty plane... ;-)

- J

Default I guess I owe you a picture as well...

So, here's a shot of the handsome trio I got... )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast