Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Festool Plunge Saw

Hello, I am realitively new here and was trying to search for posts regarding the Festool plunge saw (TS 55 or ATF 55). Does anyone have experience with this tool? Can you help point me to the correct posts?

Thank you.

Todd

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

What do you want to know, mate? I have one (TS-55) and it is the bee's knees. For breaking down sheet goods, it can't be beat.
    Cheers,

Bob

Default I guess

what I want to know is how accurate is it to use. I see reviews that say you don't have to take the material over to the table saw once you use the TS 55. Do you use the guide rail? Do you have to clamp it down? I am just looking for general information from someone who does not work for a magazine that gets their money from Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by sbnx View Post
    what I want to know is how accurate is it to use. I see reviews that say you don't have to take the material over to the table saw once you use the TS 55. Do you use the guide rail? Do you have to clamp it down? I am just looking for general information from someone who does not work for a magazine that gets their money from Festool.
    Well, Festool gets all my money instead. It is highly accurate. At first I still took my pieces to the TS to finish cut, but I built a cabinet last week making all the finish cuts with the TS-55. It came out actually better than on my table saw! I use the guide rail and I clamp it. On longer rips it won't need clamping, but on shorter cross-cuts you will want to clamp it.

A trick I learned from someone is to line up the guide rail using razor blades. Just push the rail up to the razor blades and you are right on your line. Or, you can measure and mark as always.

It is also safer than a regular CS or table saw, in that it plunges all cuts. The zero-clearance widget eliminates tear out on either side of the blade. It really works.

I like the 55 because it is lighter than the 75 and I use it mostly for sheet goods. Dust collection is superb using the CT-22. Almost no dust at all.

But I am just one data point, let's see what others think.
    Cheers,

Bob

Sbnx, the TS55 is as accurate as you place the guide rail on the work piece. I always use the rail and I almost never use clamp the rails down. Check out my web pages on the TS55, http://www.burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage14.html. I'm not paid by Festool.

Also take a look at the Festool links thread that is sticky at the top of the Festool index.

Default Thanks everyone

I would like to thank everyone for their reply's. I just say WOW to Brice Burrell's web page. That was exactly what I was looking for. I took the plunge (pun intended) and bought the TS55, a 1080 MFT, and an ETS 125 RO sander. Of course several accessories. I can't wait to get to cutting.

The only concern I have is how to get the guide rail square to the edge of my 4X8 plywood. Do you guys use a T square or just measure and make two tick marks?

Thanks,

Todd

Onya, mate. Now here's a link to a place that will answer your squaring questions. Take a squizz at this site:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-sq-2.htm
    Cheers,

Bob

......I just say WOW to Brice Burrell's web page. That was exactly what I was looking for........

Todd

Todd,
    I'm glad you found the site helpful, best of luck with the new tools.

Hi Todd,

i own a ATF65EB, that's just the slightly larger version with electronics and electric brake. Together with the FS guide rails it can deliver extremely precise results. When -for instance- making holes in doors for mounting glass afterwards, even a jig saw can't start in the utmost corner of a saw line, let alone a circular saw. A plunge saw allows to lower the blade into the material, but that's still way off the nearest corner. So after finishing the cut to the other corner, you would have to find a way to turn the machine 180 degrees, let the running blade sink into the already made cut without damaging anything and finish the unsawed bit before you made the first plunge. I've done tricks like this with plunge saws from Metabo and Holz Her, but with a Festool set it really works like a charm.
    It's situations like these that let you appreciate the precision with which these machines operate. There's a superb bearing array on the blade arbor, there is no play on any part or accessory whatsoever and the Festool saw blades are truly marvellous. These machines aren't chosen by expensive project builders for nothing (reception desks from expensive woods, custom hi-end furniture, hi-grade interior cladding, etc.).

I think the electronic version has definite advantages. When fitted with a proper blade, other materials like perspex or melamine can be processed in the way they should. With a 84-tooth TCT blade i specially reserve for perspex alone, i can saw 10 mm material on low rpm with very low pressure (a fingertip would do to push the machine through), with constant rpm and nicely shaven of curls, without any melting. The cut is of such quality, that the finish barely needs treatment afterwards. In wood there are often tiny grooves to be seen, left behind by the teeth and showing the revolutions and diameter of the blade. Not so with a Festool saw, when you treat it properly (= don't force it) and keep it clean and well maintained. Those proofs of quality about sum it up, in my view.

The electronics provide soft start, indication (LED) of upcoming overload and current fold back, should current level and overheating become threatening. But people with half a knowledge of tools don't let it come that far, do they?
    The electronic brake is a safety measure and the blade indeed stops very quickly, but it is rather a strain on the carbon brushes and motor commutator, since the electronics quickly reverse the motor's turning sense by changing the field poles for one second when the switch it let loose suddenly. This causes some very violent sparking on the commutator, which could even wear it down more than the usual start-up power surge sparking does. When i weigh longevity against the advantages of braking, i probably would not choose the B-version a next time. This is the only minor disadvantage i can find in the machine. It's a joy to use and provides pride in your results.

Festo (from businessman Albert Fezer and engineer Gottlieb Stoll) had stiff competition from Holz Her (the hand held tool division of the Karl M. Reich machine factory), especially from their plunge saw niche. Holz Her plunge saws are very good as well, but the choice of accessories and blades is not so systematic and comprehensive as the range Festo has on offer. Still, in sales figures Holz Her was a serious adversary, standing in the way of Festo's growth. They chose the Microsoft method in 1999: buy it and swollow it up. Since then, some archetypical Holz Her machines like the 1000 Watt belt sander, are to be had in Festool livery.

There is also cooperation with the Czech firm Narex, which carries the Protool brand. These tools are excellent as well, but the size of Festool as a whole and the general direction in which the pro tool markets is going (quality with maximum lifespan from a minimum of expensive materials, striving towards replacements of machines rather than spend on maintenance and keeping large spare part inventories), has contaminated the Festool brand with the same meagre calculating engineering as was before only known from B&D and Bosch owned brands. Modern Festo tools are getting more plasticcy as well, their clever system details sometimes come across more like drawing board hobbyism than real sturdy practical pro-thinking. The plastic knobs and guides and thingamijigs get ever more toy like and lithe, the robustness from 15 years ago seems to vanish a bit. The brand is still extermely popular, since all brands now make finnicky toylike plastic things and Festool still stands out, but even in homeland Germany some criticism is heard from craftsmen who can remember times when a slightly sturdier use of materials came from Esslingen. And by Jove, they mustn't be seen shaving off more than they already do, for the prices they are charging.

Regards,

Gerhard

Hi Todd,

When buying the saw make sure you go thru the available options. Stay away from the non variable speed model, over the past 15years of selling the plunge cut saws we have only ever sold 5 to which the customers demanded that model to save the dollars..... beeing the nsw warranty service centre we have had to do more repairs on non-variable speed models than any other model.

Best package to go for if you can afford it is the ts55ebqplusset which comes with 1400mm rail,variable speed saw, 48t fine cut blade, systainer carry case, & guide rail accessory kit

Details Advantages Plunge-cut saw TS 55 EBQ FS GR SetOrder number: 270054Add product to
    Shopping cart
    technical data Power consumption 1200 W Idle engine speed 2000-5200 Saw blade diameter 160 mm Inclination 0-45 ° Cutting depth 0-55 mm Cutting depth at 45 degrees 43 mm Cutting depth at 90°/45° 0-43/0-55 mm Connection Ψ d/e 27/36 mm Weight 4,5 kg Scope of delivery:•fine tooth saw blade HW W48
    •guide rail FS 1400/2
    •2 splinter guards
    •cable deflector
    •2 clamps FSZ 120
    •combination angle FS-KS
    •kickback stop FS-KS
    •set-back stop FS-RSP
    •2 rail connectors FSV
    •operation tool
    •packed in 2 SYSTAINERS
    Volume

Price (incl. GST)
    1149,50 AUD
    Strengths and benefits
    • FastFix: quick and easy saw blade changing and adaptation to the working material
    • Spring-loaded riving knife for unhindered plunge cuts
    • Attachable splinterguard for high-quality working results
    • Quick-acting brake system for safe, convenient sawing
    • Tool-less play setting on the guide rail

Main applications
    • Precise plunge cuts in materials up to 55 mm thick
    • Cutting interior doors to length using guide rail and plunge-cut saw
    • Manufacturing expansion joints in parquet flooring and false joints
    • Cutting chipboard to size
    • Cutting and processing plasterboard

Team VEK TOOLS,

www.vektools.com.au

Um. He already bought it.

Welcome to the slippery slope.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Um. He already bought it.

Welcome to the slippery slope.
    At least someone is reading the posts.
    Cheers,

Bob

Default Festool stuff

Thanks again for all the replys. Yes, I bought the TS55 several months ago. It has been fantastic using it. Great dust collection and it is very accurate and not tearout of premium veneered ply.

Since the great saw, MFT and sander purchase I was hooked and have bought other stuff. A couple more MFT's, the OFT1400 Router, The CT22 and several systainers.

This stuff is great!!! I wish I had known about it sooner and I would not have wasted my money on the Proter calbe ROS (POS), Rigid Shop Vac, Skil saw, Bosch router etc.

Have a great day.

Todd

The good news is, it's never too late to sell off your old crap and buy new tools.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    Onya, mate. Now here's a link to a place that will answer your squaring questions. Take a squizz at this site:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-sq-2.htm

Thats a nice collection of Systainers in the background.