Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: The Video

Default The Video

Having had a bris(sp?) at the hospital, and having lost one of two in football(surgical remaval), I did reject Derek's nude sharpening video suggestion. However, though there are a fair number of sharpening videos out there, they are for the most part, proprietary. So, my thought was to do videos that were not driven by brand loyalty. Since I will be giving "opinion", I have great latitude so long as I remain factually accurate. The video will start with what I always distinguish as "shaping" from honing. So, I will start with electric bench grinders and jigs, then to the watercooled units(mine is a Tormek) and on to stones and stropping. Leonard Lee's work is a foundation for much of this. I will rarely claim any originality in these videos.
    I just believe that action views will help to a better degree than still photos. I have fought including "Scary Sharp" as a matter of principle- a recently deceased hunting partner and I used that phrase before the now familiar sandpaper method was launched, so I don't acknowledge any originality to the name. The clever articles did do a fine job of delivering the process. I will now incorporate it.
    For most of my chisels and planes and knives I have come to depend upon Shapton stones. I still use a large collection of really great Arkansas Oil Stones for many honing tasks that would ruin waterstones. I also still have a nice set of Kings and enjoyed a fulfilling period of time with Norton Waterstones. I use DMT products for flattening- backs and stones. I was a bit stubborn about accepting the Shaptons, but once I put my mind to them, I came to believe that they are actually worth the price.
    Right now I am waiting on a university student who has videographer experience to get his semester break to start taping. I will be sending early copies to Derek C. for criticism and perhaps to a few more of you as we become better acquainted. Stay on the lookout. Mike

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sounds like a good idea. Are you going to make the video available on here when finished?
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Sounds good

Agree with John, hoping this post is an early headsup for a forum video, not a commercial release.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

I am likely to do a commercial one. But, will also likely offer one of the set, or a less lengthy version to the two forums I now haunt.As I limp toward my golden years, I would like to become part-time involved in tool and finish aspects of woodworking. I have a great deal of professional writing experience; reducing private practice and continuing part-time magistrate position.Mike

Looking forward to it Mike. As we have all seen, sharpening is a very generic & collective term which actually incorporates several different functions - depending on what's being sharpened.

We have several guys here (notably Derek) who have provided excellent logic and detail on the use of grinders, linishers, buffing mops, sandpaper, files, oilstones, waterstones, diamond stones etc etc. Methodology and equipment used obviously varies for different applications, as do techniques and preferences. Results are the defining factor, and individuals are probably guided as much by the equipment they have available as they are by anything else.

Personally, I digest all informed logic and methodology for future reference and usage. I totally agree that videos or "action views" are preferred when available and appreciate your intention to provide the forum with access to your video/s in some form.

Many of us here are limping towards our golden years or retirement, Mike. Some are actually free falling at alarming pace. Some have landed with a painful thud.

Wayne
    Don't Just Do It.... Do It HardenFast!!

Regards - Wayne

I'm keen to see the result too.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Mike how is the video coming along as you say action views will add the bit missing from stills.

With the seamingly endless sharpening methods and mediums some instruction on the pros and cons of each will be most welcome. One of the issues I continually face is working out from suppliers catalogues exactly which are the products suggested in articles and the threads here.

Looking forward to some more learning

Cheers Mike