Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Exacta router lift and Rout-R-lift

Anybody out there using either router lifts? I note similar construction, however more interested in the cheaper Exacta router lift, any comments on either of the two, there's hardly anything on the forum regarding them.
    Zelk

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm curious too. I'm tired of fiddling under the table.
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by bookend View Post
    I'm curious too. I'm tired of fiddling under the table.
    Hi Graeme,
    judging by the time of the post you must tired of sleeping as well.

But seriously, not many people seem to have these router lifts.

Cheers,
    Zelk

I too would like info on the Exacta Router lift, I want to use it with a Jet Contractor saw ... and DW 621 router.

I thought this thread would have been answered by now ... and feel guilty that I didn't!
    My Exacta router lift is ALSO branded JessEm and JET! I bought it from Majors when I bought most of my JET machinery. The lift lives in the router table that was mounted temporarily on the table saw about 4 years ago ... and obviously I am still using it! The router mounts onto a universal face plate and I currently have an old Makita fitted. The lift is smooth and precise, there is a small ammount of backlash which disappears if the last adjustment is always up and there is no slippage with use. I am very happy with it and I am currently not coveting any other lift.
    I have made another router plate that replaces the Exacta and I have fitted a pair of Trend T3's to use with the Gifkin dovetailer.
    I have some leave coming up and I am planning on making a better router table and cabinet to fit under the table saw but the Exacta and homemade double Trend set up will transfer to the new router table.
    Fletty

Default Just for something different

I picked up a height adjustable piano stool to convert into a height adjuster for my GMC on a Triton table. Adjustment is done by turning a knob at either end of the stool. This turns a threaded rod which operates a scissor raising mechanism. As soon as I get my camera back I'll try to remember to post some pictures.

Cheers,

Blackout

Quote Originally Posted by fletty View Post
    I thought this thread would have been answered by now ... and feel guilty that I didn't!
    My Exacta router lift is ALSO branded JessEm and JET! I bought it from Majors when I bought most of my JET machinery. The lift lives in the router table that was mounted temporarily on the table saw about 4 years ago ... and obviously I am still using it! The router mounts onto a universal face plate and I currently have an old Makita fitted. The lift is smooth and precise, there is a small ammount of backlash which disappears if the last adjustment is always up and there is no slippage with use. I am very happy with it and I am currently not coveting any other lift.
    I have made another router plate that replaces the Exacta and I have fitted a pair of Trend T3's to use with the Gifkin dovetailer.
    I have some leave coming up and I am planning on making a better router table and cabinet to fit under the table saw but the Exacta and homemade double Trend set up will transfer to the new router table.
    Fletty
    Fletty,
    thanks for the reply, I was surprised to see the thread pop up again, considering the date of the previous post.

I was interested in finding out your thoughts on the fence which was supplied with the router lift. Also, is the router lift engineered well enough when it comes to router support rigidity, that is, is there any flex in the structure considering the support arms are not symmetrically positioned in relation to the router, are there any concerns particularly with certain router bit sizes?
    Zelk

The fence is quite good. It is strong and straight but, being in one piece, it isnt easy to get differential placement of the incoming and outgoing fence halves. The dust shroud is very effective when connected to my 100mm DC line. Probably its only quirks are,
    • the fence holding bolts screw into the router plate so it has very limited fore and aft movement. This hasnt been a major problem because, if I need the fence to be well back from the tool, I use the saw's own fence. The 'new' router table will be fitted with Ttracks to increase that movement.
    • the extruded aluminium mount that holds an acrylic guard above the router bit sticks out further than the MDF faces and interferes with the movement of workpieces more than about 70 mm high.
    • the removable plastic piece that reduces the throat frequently jams
    I have detected no issues with the asymetric mounts flexing and I regularly use bits >50mm in diameter without any measurable flexing or bending.
    Fletty

I gather the fence isn't to bad for most applications and the whole kit seems good value. I no doubt can use other fences, should the ocassion arise.

I'm glad to hear that there is no obvious compromise in structural rigidity.

I like the idea of lifting the router out of the table to change router bits, it will enable me to box what's under the router table, connecting it to the dust extration as well.

I am planning to make a work bench and am tempted to use one end to fit the router lift, not sure if I am going to regret it, I have a stand alone router table at the moment but would like to make more room.

Zelk