Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New Home Building Regulations

I am in need of earning some additional income to supplement my pension so I thought I would start a handyman business. In August 2006 the Government through the Dept of Fair Trading changed the licensing rules which as far as I know was not very well advertised which was confirmed by a TAFE coordinator.

To gain a license now to carry out various different trades on homes they no longer accept previous experience to hand you a license without proving you have the skills to carry out the work. Now that is fair enough but there is a bigger catch to the problem.

If it is more than three years since you had a license to do the the work the license doesn't count towards that experience.

They have divided it up into seven areas of trades. See the attached sheet.

Attachment 58233

Now I used to hold a full builders license but because I let it go several years ago it doesn't count but up to August 2006 it would have.

I explained to DFT that I wanted to just do small jobs and cleaning etc. Now at one time you could do jobs up to $200 but that has now been changed to $1000 so I can do jobs up to that but the catch is the Dept of Fair Trading advertises to the public don't have anything done by anyone without a license so it is a Catch 22.

So I thought I would go for a Minor Maintenance & Cleaning License and a Minor Trades License which is two separates licenses.

But here is the catch you have to go to the TAFE to get accredited for this and they want $250.00 just to register and if you decide to go ahead they want a total of $1500.00 for each qualification. That is not the end of it as you then have to pay DFT then for the license.

They will take previous experience into consideration but you have to prove that you have it and all the people that I have done work fork have either died or gone out of business never to be found again. The only other way to get it is to do their written and practical assessment or do a Tafe Campus Skill Assessment Workshop. I suppose all I can do is bring them out to my house and show them everything that I have done.

I have experience in all the areas listed in the fact sheets attached.

Attachment 58234

Attachment 58235

The part that gets up my nose is that Johnny Howard wants aged persons to go back to work but they put obstacles in your way and it is pointless in applying for jobs because no one wants a 69 year old phart. I even applied at Bunnings for part time work but didn't even get past the phone call they gave me. That is probably better than most applications I've put in.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Barry,

I know that in fields such as medicine currency is critical to the wellbeing of patients. This is because the technology moves so quickly. But the stuff you are describing is just bull. Dont let it get you down!

Mate, start your business, keep it local and use your network to grow your customer base. Im sure there are people who know what you do. Those who know you will be able to recommend you to people they meet. In my business the only tradies I deal with are those that have been personally recommended or those I personally know. You dont sound like you want a business empire, just supplimental income, work your network. I cant advocate the cash economy but Im sure there are others who can.

Your reputation is worth much more than a piece of paper!

Dont worry about this "we all have to work till we fall over" crap. More attempts at control by the political class fearful that we will wake up to their leech like mentality and behaviour. They wont have to work till they fall over.

Sebastiaan
    Last edited by Sebastiaan56; 18th October 2007 at 08:17 AM. Reason: finish last sentence
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Hi Barry,
    I would go with Sebastian's advice. Remember to take out public liability insurance.

Cheers
    Michael

Bazza, its good to read that you want to have a go (be more pension for me when I get there), but be fair, it appears to be the little government who's at fault, not the big government.

Bazza,
    What about keeping it all totally informal. Nothing official.
    Stick a notice up in your shopping center.
    "retired builder willing to do small jobs, casual basis, only work mornings' that sort of thing. You only have to do one or two then word will spread. You might finish up doing jobs just for retirees, make a small amount of cash and make a few new friends.

Cheer
    Bill

Thanks fellas handy ideas. I will try them all.

Check if you should have public liability Insurance

I can see the bummer being that you should have it and wont be able to get it without the dopey licence. Go talk to your local member they should be busting their balls to help voters.
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

join the vwa it includes p/l insurance
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com