Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Rust cleaning

Default Rust cleaning

Sorry to get into the same topic again, but I remember not long ago some of you made a comment about some dip to mix with water and clean the rust from old planes, and that it does not affect the paint, but I searched in vain, and it was clearly not chilly dip.

What was it? Rust free, no more rust, rust kill uuuuu I give up.

Have an old circular plane that needs a clean up but I don't want to damage the paint nor attack it with sand paper.
    Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have used some stuff called Deoxidine (name on bottle) and another simply Rust remover, i think i got them both from the local hardware. I'm not 100% sure of the active ingrediant but think it's called Phosphroic Acid. You mix it with water rub on then dry it off, works like magic!!! buy far the best thing for rust available. First saw it first used buy a Panel Beater to prep for painting and it did an awsome job on the top of the second hand table saw i've just bought. If the rust is deep from pitting or from rough finish from machining if will take a few applications but it will literally eat the rust away without touching the metal, is safe for steel and cast iron, give it ago! Am interested to know if anyone else is using it?

Default Rust Removal

There is a product called Corrodip manufactured by a company called Liquid Engineering.

When I moved over to the coast for 6 years and took all my tools with me I couldn't beleive how rusty they went even though they were mostly locked in my tool boxes.

When I came back to the New England Tablelands I looked around for something to clean them up.

I found this product at a the Agquip field day at Gunnedah. You mix 1 litre to 3 litres of water and just dip them in. Most important is not to leave them in to long or it will eventuall remove the paint and send them all black.

You can have a look at their Website and if you ring them up they will probaly come to you. http://www.liquideng.com.au/

After you clean them up there is another product you can use to stop them rusting again, called lanoguard 3000 manufactured by Ramshead Products http://www.ramshead.com.au made from lanoline.

Hope this will help

Regards

Default Rust Removal

Sorry website for Ramshead has changed to http://www.lanoguard.com/products.asp

Regards

Wink Re Rust Cleaning

Didn't know what was in it but it did the job as far as I was concerned without any problems and I haven't died yet and have had no reaction but my tools are now nice and shiney again.

Regards

This is a terrific page about safe rust removal.

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/rust.htm

Non toxic and it works without trace.

Grue
    In Jus Voco Spurius
    http://www.metalbashatorium.com

Marc,

There was an article about rust removal in one of the Autralian wood magazines recently. I noticed something about it on the cover (I think it was the Aust Wood Review- it had info about bows in it as well) when I was wandering aimlessly through the newsagents at lunch today.

It might be worth having a look at that maybe??

Cheers,
    Anthony

The article is in Australian Wood Review, #40

Have fun..............keep turnin

Barry, thats great news! Works really well hey! Supposed to mix 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 with water or some thing like that, i was lazy and used it straight with a scotch brite and no problems or burnt fingers or worse, i shouldn't have but we all do stuff like this time to time.
    I'm surprised that no one else seems to use it or has heard of it as it does such a great job! Glad I could help. Mick C

http://www.liquideng.com.au/corrodip.html

Thank you guys, this is exactly what I was after.

Barry,
    This website isn't coming up. Do you have any later information?
    Les Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Les Harris View Post
    Barry,
    This website isn't coming up. Do you have any later information?
    Les Harris
    That post is pretty old but I did a google search and this came up. Plenty of links to try.

http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...en&q=lanoguard

Default Pure Magic!

This topic thread is now a year old but I want to tell everyone that I have found a rust remover that borders on pure magic. I had deep rust in a window flange of a motor vehicle, on which I used the last dregs of Wattyl Metal Prep, something that I have used a lot on woodworking tools with good success, including bringing rusty files up like new.

Note that this is a rust remover, as distinct from a rust converter. A remover actually chemically dissolves the rust, whilst a converter (which most of the products on the market are) converts the rust (ferric oxide) to a stable iron phosphate. Some converters are very good but all have a common drawback; there is no way of knowing if it has penetrated and converted all the way back to the base metal.

I soon found that Wattyl has stopped making Metal Prep two years ago, so I went searching on the Internet. I found a preparation called Deox, which is available as a powder - Deox C - or as a gel - Deox Gel. Since I was treating a vertical flange, I tried the Deox Gel. Because I was working in ambients in the 2 - 12 range, it was a slow process - put on a coat, leave it 24 hours, wash it off (soapy water) and give it another coat.

The end results have to be seen to be believed. Bright, shiny metal!!!! I have never seen anything remotely like this. It is sold via POR 15, it costs a bomb - $45 for a 1 kg container, buit it works like no other.

I am not suggesting this as a replacement for immersion but it is the solution for anything too big to be immersed. Nonetheless, as soon as I have finished the vehicle, I am going to treat a couple of plane bodies. Just can't wait to see the bright metal!

Les Harris