Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my next rescue

Default my next rescue

Hi girls,
    this is a picture of my next rescue mission
    joints are stuffed
    I am more of a re finisher than a wood worker
    my problem here will be to try to keep as much of the upholstery base as possible and still repair the joints and broken frame properly.
    astrid

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Once you have clicked "Managed Attachments", you then need to click the "Browse" button on the page that has opened and the select the picture from your computer that you want to show. Once you have done this, you then need to click "Upload" which will then transfer a copy of your picture to the Forum's server. And finally click "Submit Reply" on the first page.

Another thing to is that the pictures must be under 100kb or the forum won't accept them
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Default try again

here go's

Default dear honorary girls

thanks for help re pics.

any sugestions re my problem?
    astrid

I drink, so your pic seems fine to me.
    That's a fine rescue project though!

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    thanks for help re pics.

astrid
    You need to take some close-up pics of the joints in question for that.

Use a tripod (stool, chair, anything you can hold the camera steady on) and use the macro setting on your camera if it wont auto-focus because you are too close...........confused yet?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Will be watching this thread with interest. I have an old oak dining suite in the garage (buried under other stuff) that belonged to LOML's grandmother I am going to restore (one day). All of the chairs are dowelled and need to be reglued.

I was planning to dismantle the chairs and extract the dowels, scrape the joint surfaces, maybe drill out the dowel holes a tad biggger then reassemble.

Most of mine all need reupholstering too. The seats are leather but in varying stages of disrepair. They are lift-out panels so pretty immaterial to the restoration because they can be done separately later retaining as much or as little of the original as required.

Steph

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    thanks for help re pics.

astrid
    You mean "my problem here will be to try to keep as much of the upholstery base as possible and still repair the joints and broken frame properly."?

Sorry to say that we can't really tell until it is stripped down and the frame exposed. From what I can see in the pic, it would be best to reupholster completely. I'd take a bunch of pics from all sorts of angles to capture what it should look like, before stripping it.

Quote Originally Posted by s_m View Post
    Will be watching this thread with interest. I have an old oak dining suite in the garage (buried under other stuff) that belonged to LOML's grandmother I am going to restore (one day). All of the chairs are dowelled and need to be reglued.

I was planning to dismantle the chairs and extract the dowels, scrape the joint surfaces, maybe drill out the dowel holes a tad biggger then reassemble.

Most of mine all need reupholstering too. The seats are leather but in varying stages of disrepair. They are lift-out panels so pretty immaterial to the restoration because they can be done separately later retaining as much or as little of the original as required.
    S-M

dont drill dowel holes bigger. this will make your joints looser.
    just carefully tap old joints apart, and mark which dowel came out of which hole

clean old glue off dowels and out of holes( I find a sanding drum on a dremle or drill is good for this)
    glue back together (measure the diagonals on the base of the legs or the chair might wobble)

clamp or use a spanish twist untill glue is dry

if you break a dowel

Steph
    Last edited by Groggy; 28th October 2007 at 08:40 PM. Reason: messed up

Default sorry

messed up post
    astrid

Thanks Astrid - I was only going to drill out the dowel holes if I could get new dowels slightly larger. I figured this would give the glue a better bite during reassembly?

I'm a bit confused about what you said re your chair and the upholstery - it looks completely stuffed (scuse the pun ) to me so wouldn't you be best off stripping everything down to the timber anyway?

Steph

Default re upholstery

normally I would strip out the lot
    but the client dosent have a lot of dollars and to fully re upholster costs a lot
    the back padding is the expensive bit and is separate from the front
    likewise the arms.
    so if I can get the seat out then take the thing apart leaving the back intact.
    i can strip, re glue re polish and re assemble.
    the client can cover back with calico, webb the seat and make a cushion like a deck chair
    hence she gets her grandmas chair fixed and usable and can re upholser properly when she has the bucks

astrid

Probably best to tell the customer to come back when she can afford to do the job properly.

Why pull it apart once and only do half a job, then have to pull it apart again.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

why would she have to pull it apart again?
    as i said the back pad is independant of the front and sides.
    take the front and sides off and repair peices independantly
    i know that its difficult to see from the photo but I think it can be done
    i'll have a better idea when all the outer cover is off

astrid

Default chair rescue

OK,
    Ive stripped off all the upholstery except the back and arms.
    all joints buggered under the covering, frame held together with bits of old timber and nails( lots of these) all supporting frame borer ridden.

separated the back from the seat and took it to a good upholsterer for advice.
    he said can be saved by re webbing the back and tacking on calico to hold in loose coconut fibres.
    to re upholster this chair would cost in excess of $500 plus fabric.
    thats fully sprung, rolled edges button back

so, Ive pulled it completly to pieces, saved old hand made dowels where their not broken .
    put smaller bits in a meths bath and let them strip themselves while i cleaned out old tacks

Next step will be to take each piece and drill out broken dowel, repair any cracks so each piece is ready for assembly.

this seems like a lot of work, but the chair is made of honduran mahogany and once the black shellac stuff is off the timber is magnificent.

will post more pictures soon, all I've got at the moment is a pile of pieces.

astrid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast