Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Finish for high humidity area...

I've been asked to make a cabinet for storing towels in a spa room, the spa room is obviously a very damp area, can anyone suggest a good finish that would last...
    I'm thinking of an oil finish rather then a varnish???

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If you didn't prefer an oil finish, marine grade varnish would be the first thing that springs to my mind.

I think spas and saunas usually use all raw cedar. No finish to stuff up...

I think you're right there Len. I think I remember reading somewhere about using a penetrating oil finish (BLO maybe?) on western red cedar in wet areas? Could easily be wrong

Wood: seems the choice is either use a wood that will withstand the moisture by itself, and either not finish it or use a finish/protectant that doesn't seal the surface, or use another timber and seal the surface completely using a marine varnish etc. Depends what timber you want to use and what look you want I guess.

Don't forget the glue either - and the fasteners too I guess. PVA and standard screws and you're going to wind up with a mess in a few months

Thanks for the replies-

I've been asked to make it out of Victoria Ash , to match the rest of the furniture throughout the house, like you said Len, cedar would be the best choice of timber. (Might be able to change there minds

DarrylF- I was going to use Av260 Two Pack crosslinking PVA
    glue and probably stainless fasteners.
    All the hinges on the entrance doors to the spa room and the chrome tapes have started to corrode!

Justin- Yes a marine grade varnish is a obvious choice but with time and wear and tear I think even marine varnish would not last— maybe I’m just paranoid…….

Info for AV260 Glue

I'd be trying to change their minds Besides the durability, cedar has a very pleasant smell when left raw IMHO - when used in a sauna/spa room.

If the screws are going to be hidden you might be able to use the type designed for use outdoors on treated pine? Basically powder coated I think. I'd go stainless personally.

I'd be very concerned about using Vic Ash in a sauna...based on my experience of it in a damp area, I'd expect it to go furry and an unattractive grey. It's a nice timber, but not for that situation.
    Go for the cedar, I reckon.

PVA & Vic Ash not suitable in that environment! fullstop! Even if the PVA is AV260...do some research on AV Syntecs website for there suggestions in high humidity environments.

Cedar it is, if they don't like that idea they can find someone else! Full Stop!