Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default African Mahogany (locally grown) - Bowl

See attached image of a African Mahogany bowl. African Mahogany is a popular tree up here in Darwin. Many trees were planted after cyclone Tracy but unfortunatly it's a tree not suited to withstanding high winds (shallow root system for such a large tree), so many are being removed. I was speaking to a tree lopper/slabber a few months back and he said they will start to become a little more scarce over the years to come. The stump that this came from was from a tree that was dead for about 10 years then cut down and left for a further 2-3 years. The fellow that I got the stump from was going to use it for carving but gave up in the end and gave it to me. I have another three fair sized blanks. It was pretty easy to turn, cut well and of course polished up really well will EEE wax and Shellawax Cream, in fact I had to use double polarisation when I took the photo to allow some timber colour to come though the brilliant high gloss finnish.

Peter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Peter

How can I reverse the double polarisation that you used, it worked so well, the bowl doesn't show up at all!!

BTW African Mahogany is a very nice wood to work with.

Joe

Have fun......................keep turnin

Some of the Darwin African Mahogany has turned up in Melbourne. I saw the most amazing looking table at a furniture store in Alphington and asked what it was.
    They apparently sourced it from the Soul of the Tree which got it from Darwin.
    If you can get more of it I would grab it, as I understand it the council was going to burn this timber but someone who knew what it was like got it to melbourne.
    Suresh

Sorry about that, I'm sure that it was there.

Beautiful Little Festo
    The bowl that is....

Ben

Peter

Very nice bowl......looking at it I can just imagine the arome when turning that wood! It was surely worth waiting for the pic.

Cya

Joe

Have fun..................keep turnin