Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Decking boards

Default Decking boards

Hi All,
    Just after some advice on decking boards. I'm now at the point where I'm starting to think about the actual decking boards that will go onto my deck. I'd prefer hardwood over TP but as price is a (major) factor, I'm trying to get the biggest bang for my buck!
    I've found a bloke who can sell me Victorian Ash for $1.80 lm (90 x 19 mm), which seems to be a pretty good price. Any thoughts about this as a decking product?
    I know it is used extensively for indoor floors but I'm not sure about decking. It will be exposed to some weather until the pergola roof goes on over the next 12 months or so. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

This pdf lists it as a class 4, which is the lowest, and it can't be used for exposed structural members, but that doesn't exclude it from use as decking.
    It says that the heartwood service life is only 5>8 years, but if it had a well maintained coating, who knows.
    The price is certainly very attractive, and I hate TP, but you'd be paying closer to double that price for merbau which is the most common next step up from TP.

There's some decking experts on the boards who may chime in with some advice.

Thanks John,
    My dilemma is cost vs longevity! I've seen a lot of TP decks and they tend to look pretty average in a relatively short time. I'm hoping to get a 'top' over the deck sooner rather than later and with some decent protection (oil or varnish of some sort), I'm hoping this will prolong the life of the ash until a few more dollars allow me to change to merbau or something similar.
    A friend built a deck with cypress decking boards but for the life of me I can't find where to get them or even a reference price. Anyone else out there have an idea?
    Cheerio,
    Mark

I don't know anything about Victorian Ash, however if it is that soft, I probably wouldn't be using it. However I am sure someone will come along with a second opinion sooner or later.

My advice would be to lay the deck you want, now. It will be a major hassle to pull up the decking in five years time and re-lay something better, and I guarantee it will need to be done at the exact worst time, ie when you just get hit with a big car repair bill, or get a new job and have no spare time, life tends to be like that!

I got a really good deal by going direct to the mill. I would encourage you to do the same. It was easy for me, as I live in an area with a few saw-mills close by. Get the Yellow Pages out, and spend a few minutes calling timber mills in the area, you never know what you might find!

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    This pdf lists it as a class 4, which is the lowest, and it can't be used for exposed structural members, but that doesn't exclude it from use as decking.
    It says that the heartwood service life is only 5>8 years, but if it had a well maintained coating, who knows.
    The price is certainly very attractive, and I hate TP, but you'd be paying closer to double that price for merbau which is the most common next step up from TP.

There's some decking experts on the boards who may chime in with some advice.
    Hi pawnhead,
    Printed up your .pdf for future reference. Can't have too much info sometimes.
    Cheers,
    Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!