Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Knife Sharpening

G'day all,

I've just purchased a decent set of knifes for the kitchen made from laminated high-carbon steel hardened to RC-61, and it comes with a diamond steel. I've never used a diamond steel, but I don't see that it will do as good a job as my water stones do. As far as I can tell it's roughly a 600 grit or 25 micron dimaond steel.

My question is; is there a benefit to purchasing a ceramic steel, or combination diamond/ceramic steel rather then using water stones? The DMT ceramic steel for example is in the 7 micron region, while I can happily hone on an MDF grinding wheel with Verita honing compound to 0.5 micron.

Actually, I guess the question is two fold: 1) Sharpening in the kitchen on the fly requires a steel, do I bother with a ceramic or combination steel? 2) With a quality carbon steel blade and a good honing process in the shed, is there any need to have a steel at all? Will the edge last long enough not to need one an on-the-fly solution?

I know something about sharpening a blade, not I'm not that handy with a knife. SWMBO is very handy with a knife, but couldn't sharpen one to save her life. Any advice is appreciated.

Dave.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Dave,

First up, I am no expert on knives or sharpening, (or anything really) but,... I do love knives and have many and I do like them sharp in the kitchen.

I reckon nothing beats a good workshop setup for re-sharpening worn knife blades, i.e. ones that have the edge worn down into the taper too far and need the primary taper reset or re-ground.

If the taper is OK, (leads to a fine enough edge) then I use a ceramic steel on the softer steel blades and a diamond steel on the harder steel blades. The diamond steel is well worn now and quite smooth compared to a new one. I find the diamond steel is too agressive on the softer blades, (like Wusthof and Zwilling Henkels) but great for the harder Victorinox blades, (I like these knives, the 250mm is a beauty). Nobody goes near my knives with a steel but me, so I can preserve the natural steeling angle I have got used to.

So to answer your question: YES, it is worth having a steel in the kitchen to touch up blades on the fly, to keep that edge super sharp. That is a definite YES for me, simple convenience. The knife will stay sharp longer, you don't need a 10,000 grit edge on a kitchen knife, in my opinion. I know RC61 is pretty hard for a kitchen knife but I would be very careful, gentle with a new diamond steel and would rather use a ceramic steel instead. Use the diamond steel for a while on all your other knives, to wear it in before touching your nice new knives.

If I was in your shoes I would buy a ceramic steel and lightly touch up the blades as required. Head for the shed only when it takes too long to get a good edge with the ceramic steel.

There are some good threads here on sharpening knives and steels with views by people far more qualified than I to advise you. A search might help with the more techical aspects of knife sharpening, steeling angles etc.

Me, I keep it simple, KISS, ceramic for the soft ones and worn diamond for the hard ones. And off to the shed and stones only when needed.

Out of interest, you wouldn't have a photo or two of your laminated blades would you? Pretty please. Did I mention I love knives.

Cheers
    Pops

As Pops said if you use a diamond steel every time you touch up your knife in the kitchen you will ware them out in no time, you should only resort to a diamond steel when the edge can no longer be formed on a normal steel (ceramic/steel)

When they arrive I'll post a pic Pops, they're coming from WA. Breaking in the diamond steel sounds like a good idea, wouldn't hurt to practice on the old set either, thanks for that.

I did a bit more research on the steel used in the knives, it's VG-10 high-carbon stainless steel, which according to my research is fairly good on all fronts (hardness, durability, stain resistance, edge retention, yet still easy enough to sharpen).

I've never had any success with a standard steel... might have to buy myself a ceramic steel then
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

Hi Dave,

They sound like a Top buy. Will keep an eye out for the pics.

As far as a steel goes, I reckon keeping a consistant angle, blade to the steel is the important bit. Have found that the more consistant I was with this the quicker the job got done and the better the result. Practice. Sort of like freehand chisel sharpening I guess. So if you spend some time on your old knives with a ceramic steel, (or the new diamond one) practice you will get, and it will be well worth it. Again, just my opinion. Happy sharpening.

Cheers
    Pops

Hi Dave ,
    I would be extremely hesitant to use your diamond abrasive on the knives especially if they are top grade.

Knives are unique in that different makes of knives respond to different stones. I have about a dozen different types of stones and abrasives from Japanese water stones to ceramics,natural stones and synthetic sharpening stones.
    They all sharpen different knifes.
    That is, after I can hone the correct angles .If the primary angle is not correct ,forget it. In your case the hardness is a few points higher than the norm ,so I am inclined to think you gave got some quality blades there.Japanese Global perhaps?

Most of my sharpening is done by hand on ceramic and leather barbers strop.I can sharpen all of our kitchen knives to shaving sharp. The ceramics are so smooth they are shiny and my knives deposit a smooth dark grey smear on the stone.The edges are effectively polished.

Perhaps a ceramic stone may be the best to start with as i get the best overall results from it.

It will take time to get the correct cutting edge. If you are new to sharpening Japanese laminated knives a a look at this site may help you.
    http://www.fine-tools.com/G10002.htm

Grahame

Thanks Grahame. Here is an example of what's in the set; it's a set of Scanpan Damastahl knifes. I have a feeling the lamination is mostly cosmetic, but by all accounts they're pretty good gear. The set comes with a diamond steel, seems fair to me that it should be appropriate for the task.

Up to now I've been sharpening knifes on an indian stone, and more recently water stones with great success, but it takes an aweful long time. With the cheap knives we're currently using there really isn't any point because within a week there useless again. I'm hoping the new set will hold an edge long enough to justify spending the time to sharpen them properly.
    - Douglas Adams

I'm happy to report that they really are quality knives. Heavyish, with a fairly meating edge to which the bevel is applied, awesomely sharp out of the box. They're a slightly different style so they're taking a bit of getting used to.

As for the diamond steel, I love it! Put a fairly good edge back on the old knives in no time, though I think a ceramic would compliment this very nicely. That's on my Christmas shopping list I think

Here are some pics Pops. As I suspected, the damascus style lamination is purely cosmetic, in the third pic you can see quite clearly that the core of the blade is a single thick forged peice. I gave the paring knife a quick once over the stones this evening and it's sharp enough to shave with now
    - Douglas Adams

Hi Kman-oz,

Now is time to stock the kitchen up with band aids. Every time I sharpen up friends' knives, (ones that have been dull for a long time) somebody cuts themselves. Just not used to very sharp knives.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your purchase.

Cheers
    Pops

I don't know a lot about sharpening knives, but I did read recently that you should use a steel every time you use your knife (I do not...about once a week), and you should only use a ceramic sharpener about once every 12 months because it will wear the knife down quickly if used frequently.

I sharpen on the stone every month and use the steel every five minutes or so depending on the item I am cutting.

I have to say that I am a chef and obviously use a knife a great deal more than in a domestic situation. Nevertheless I recommend using your steel fairly frequently and your stone every six months or so.

As for wearing out your knife quickly I have a 14 inch Gibson and Patterson knife that I have had for 24 years which I sharpen on a waterstone and steel, sharp enough to dry shave with, this knife will see another 24 years I reckon.

Diamond steels are ok for using on a blunt knife but I believe they are too abrasive to use on a regular basis, they tend to leave a very coarse edge on the knife and this edge usually does not last long. The idea of a steel is to hone to a fine edge and for this you need an almost smooth finish on your steel. (an uncle of mine used to use a long philips head screwdriver as a steel, he said it was cheaper than a good steel and it had more uses!!!)

Good luck with the knives and remember it is better to cut yourself cleanly with a sharp knife than to 'rip' yourself with a blunt one.
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    The idea of a steel is to hone to a fine edge and for this you need an almost smooth finish on your steel. (an uncle of mine used to use a long philips head screwdriver as a steel...
    By that reasoning, I've been thinking that a steel might also act like a burnisher. I may not necessarily need to be abrasive if it's capable of forming an edge like a burnisher does perhaps?
    - Douglas Adams

Hello,

Nice knives, would be nice to hear how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by kman-oz View Post
    By that reasoning, I've been thinking that a steel might also act like a burnisher. I may not necessarily need to be abrasive if it's capable of forming an edge like a burnisher does perhaps?

Polished hardened steel does exactly that, but be really careful not to chip the hard edge. I have come up to a conclusion that it's best not to burnish very hard edges with a similar touch as burnishing softer hardened stainless steel edges. Generally I do not like to use the steel stick on anything harder than 60 Rc. But If there is a need for that, an oval shaped stick is then the best, does not concentrate the pressure of a small radius stick against the edge side. Larger radius is better, but if having round cross-cut, they are also heavier, so go for oval cross-cut.

I used to work in a big salmon fish farm where we used extensively Wengers and Swibos for fish cutlery. The main reason was that stainless blade took the sea environment and they were possible to desinfect with hot steam and put in the dishwashing machine. Those knives are made from AISI 4xx, possibly 420, and hardened up to about 56 Rc. They take very good edge with both abrasive and polishing stick.

My sis is a fan of japanese-style kitchen knives and damasteel. If you don't mind, I'll copy your brand of knives and buy similar kind of set for her for Xmas.

kippis,

sumu

Hi Kman,

Thanks for the photos mate. I went and had a look at these on the weekend. I really liked them, (better in the flesh even). The curved handle is very comfortable in the hand.

Good choice there I reckon. Should last out your kitchen days with blade to spare.

Touched up my old SS Barclay cooks knife last night on the very old and worn diamond steel. Cuts tomatoes like nobody's business now.

Hope you enjoy your new knives.

Cheers
    Pops (still with all my fingers)

Hi Sumu,

I played with the Japanese style of Kman's knives on the weekend too. they also are very nice in the hand, and they look good too, same damasteel look. Your suster will be very impressed with them.

Cheers
    Pops

I honestly can't comment on the performance of these knives other than to say they stay very sharp and take very little effort to touch up. This in itself is reason enough for me, because I got very lazy with the cheapies purely because the edge didn't last. These are worth touching up often. About the only thing that stands out to me is the balance; they have quite a heavy handle which suits me, though none of the knives that I purchased has a particularly long blade (<20cm) so I'm not sure how this applies to the long kitchen knives.

The wife certainly loves them though, every time she picks one up she comments on the ease of use and sharpness. They are a little heavier than she's used to, but they also have a considerably thicker blade and larger handle. It's funny to note that they get used where she might normally have used scissors or something They certainly hold their own in the kitchen! Though the cross grain cutting board isn't holding up

Thanks for the perspective on burnishing sumu. I haven't tried the old steel yet, thus far I've only used the 4000 water stone, I'll give that a go next... maybe the ceramic isn't required?

Dave.

P.S. I didn't have good light to take these photos and they don't do the knives justice. The appearence is quite striking in the flesh. No injury pun intended
    - Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast