Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What finish for a Merbu deck around a Pool

Hi all

I have just finihsed building a Deck around our pool.

The Decking timber is Merbu.

my question is what should i be finishing it in particlarly given that it is going to constantly have pool water (salt) splashed on to it and in full sun.

I have had one suggestion to not use any commercial product but to finish it off with a mixture of Linseed Oil and Turpentine - any view on this approach - if so does any one know the correct mixture ratio's

Alternatively what woudl the recommendation me for the best long term finish for my deck

Thx

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi there Decker

I would avoid linseed oil - it has problems with black mould when used in exposed areas.
    A lot of people have been talking about the Spa n Deck product - have a search and see what you find.

Cheers,
    Loki

Thanks Loki

Yes have seen it mentioned in a few posts. Also have seen mention of the "napisan" treatment ???

Due to circumstances beyond my control (i.e shonky pool builder -are there any other kind?) 10 years ago I had to build a merbu deck of about 30-40m2. I had a really good landscaper who made me swear on a stack of bibles and the life of my first born son that I would regularly apply Cabot's Natural Decking Stain in natural colour.

I kept my oath and now the deck is as new with no splitting or warping and as I am in Brisbane and the deck is in full sun all year round this is no mean feat. Usually apply a coat twice a year before summer, say September-October and after summer, February - March.

I first used to do it by hand (a 4hour job) but have graduated to using a cheapie lambswool throwaway pad and a big rectangular bucket (1/2 hour job).

I suspect that any of the other quality deck stains (e.g Feast and Watson) would provide similar protection.

Well done with your twice a year reapplication. That shows both true diligence and comittment to keeping your external timber looking good and protected. I have found many people start off with this intention but the time tends to fly by and the 6 month coating date turns into 9-12 months. The problem with coating is not letting the surface deterioate to a point that it looks blotchy. If you coat over a blotchy deck it will look even more like a dog threw up on it. All of the manufactures of coating products state on their reapplication information that annual maintenance or earlier MAY be needed. If it is in full sun you can count on it. At least Cabots decking oil which is 60% kerosine will soak into the timber and does not form a skin on the wood. If you use a film forming product and let it get to a point where it starts to crack, lift, peel or bubble(yes one product I know that is on every shelf bubbles) and then attempt to recoat it will look absolutely like the entire kennel threw up on it.

I have found that products using natural oils ie. tung, linseed,lanolin tend to turn black from mould if exposed to sun and rain usually within 18 months or often much sooner.

This whole outdoor timber coating journey is just frought with good points, bad points, and each of us need to sift through all the information we can find and then make an informed and hopefully an educated GUESS on what will suit us. I am waiting for the crystal clear product that blocks UV, lasts 5 years in the sun, only needs 1 coat, dries in 5 minutes and the tools wash themselves.

jimj www.restore-a-deck.com.au