Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Creating a jig to cut 6 degree angles - circ saw

I'm a complete amatuer, and asked earlier about table saws and circular saws. In the end (today) I bought a circular saw.
    Anyway, I need to cut along a length of timber at a 6 degree angle (and 45.) The base plate of the saw obviously can be rotated out to 45 degrees but it's far from acurate, I would assume.
    So, am I best using this combined with a protractor to get the 6 degree angle or building some sort of jig? Bear in mind I need to only cut about half a dozen lengths at this angle.
    If the jig would be easy to make and more accurate, what do I build? I just can't image what I could build to assist myself.
    Sorry if I sound like a total doofus, but I am.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

One method is to use a piece of stiff cardboard and cut with a knife the 6 degree angle long enough to cover the base plate of the saw and project past your blade. Turn the saw over, extend the blade as far as it will go and place the card on the base plate and then tilt the saw to match this angle. Retract the saw so that only enough blade is available to cut the full depth of your workpiece. Make sure your saw is not connected to power while doing any adjustments. When cutting use a guide clamped to your workpiece. If you want the 6 degree angle on both ends (tapering to the top) you will have to cut from the opposite side of your workpiece for the second cut.
    Take care and read the safety instructions that came with your saw.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Ahhh, good one. Thanks for that. I'll be sure to count my fingers before starting and let you know if the number changes