Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Random or orbital sanders- best for grain?

Are the latest random orbital sanders (electric or air driven) a better tool than orbital sanders for bringing out the inherant clarity of the grain in wood? Then followed by a reasonable smooth finish.
    2. Is there a brand and commended model?

Previous knowledge was that you fine finish in a straight line in keeping with the grain. But random orbital sanders spiral across the grain still producing a fine sanded finish in quick time. I am thinking they must also produce immeasurably small sanding lines or scratches across the grain. Which may veil the grain slightly, and that may even be true for both types, but I am not sure.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I use a 6" metabo random orbital sander and with burnishing oil the finish is like glass.
    Cheers

TEEJAY

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

(Man was born to hunt and kill)

Default Orbital Sander

G'day,
    I use an orbital palm sander to burnish boxes, Ideal for Burley timber and a glass finish.
    Scratches are not a prob if you use paper down to the light grades, I work down to 1200 grit and then if it is something special use a peice of white paper (about 1800 grit) sounds extreme but BL_ _dy hell it works.
    The last orbital sander I bought was an Ozito from Bunnies, Lever paper attachment so I dont have to but felt backed paper, 2 year replacement guarantee--Less than $20 what more can you ask.

It also works

Catcha Ravlord13

Wife just read this,
    Please note "MY WIFE DOES MOST OF THE FINISHING."

Sander marks always produced by belt sander. But the orbital sander shouldn't give this mark if sanded enough and using the correct sand paper.
    WM

Random Orbital Sander gives a far more superior sanded finish than any other form of sanding including orbital and a good random orbital sander like Festool will give a far better sanded finish than a cheaper one. The difference between a good one and a cheaper one is quite amazing.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    Random Orbital Sander gives a far more superior sanded finish than any other form of sanding including orbital and a good random orbital sander like Festool will give a far better sanded finish than a cheaper one. The difference between a good one and a cheaper one is quite amazing.
    The biggest difference I found between the Festool and the Ozito was not so much the finish although it was better, but the fact that I can use the Festool all day whereas the Ozito makes my hands and arms buzz for hours even after using it for a few minutes.

What about compressor driven units, anyone have experience with these?

What makes them most handy for me..... is sanding over joints.....will not scratch up crossgrain. Speeds it all up.

So why do we hear instructions saying to sand only with the grain when moving towards the end of the sanding process? Should this just be disregarded if you have a good enuff ROS?

Quote Originally Posted by BrettC View Post
    So why do we hear instructions saying to sand only with the grain when moving towards the end of the sanding process? Should this just be disregarded if you have a good enuff ROS?
    IMO yes. Sand up to 600 or higher and you'll be right. There is a school of thought, however, that says the final sand should be by hand (kind of poetic ) with the grain. I can't tell the difference. But, this is with a good ROS.
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BrettC View Post
    basically. Their brilliant tools in that way. Get a bit noisy after a while. But when you see a blemish somewhere you want to clear, its as simple as picking the thing up, and push it into your work, and you don't even have to think about scratching. Can drift off thinking about your happy place and still not stuff it up.

da ultimate sanding tool