Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Joist close to pool

Im currently putting in the joists for my pool deck ,the joist closest to the pools edge is so close i cant get in there to hammer a nail, any suggestions on what i should do....

Also i have attached a joist strap do i still need to skew a nail from both sides?

thanks Paul

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Paul,

Just use triple grips. You can get them at any hardware or hardware chain. I attached all my joists on my most recent deck with triple grips. Just a tip. Nail the triple grip to the joist member first and then nail the joist to the bearer. It will be solid and completely solid once you put your decking boards on. The decking boards will tie it all together. And remember that when using triplegrips or joist hangers always use joist hanging nails rather than flat head clouts. Joist hanging nails are made uniform / one piece and therefore won't snap the head unlike clouts which are made as stem and head.

In regards to the pool deck, how high is it off the ground? I might be doing a similar job in the not too distant future?

Put the beer down, you're not done yet....

Cheers,
    Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

Huh? I dont see the problem...

On one side you have plenty of room but on the other is a little tricky.

Skew nail in one side, and use a joist strap on the other side....
    nail the joist strap into the joist first, then you nail it into the bearer. You will have plenty of clearance...
    THen skewnail on the side not facing the pool. Problem solved!

Paul,

Joist strap and 'malakies' (look up a Greek dictionary). Oosham's way of course is viable but triple grips is the best way in my opinion. That's what I would do with closed eyes.

Cheers,
    Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

hahaha....U must have to do lots of malakies...I grew up with greeks, We always did malakies with stuff...Its the wog way! LoL (no offenc intended).

What are you going to do with the deckboards? Cantilever the 100mm overhang..Looks about 100mm from here.
    EDIT: From this angle, it looks like the deckboards will be over the edge of the pool, not under the edge of teh pool to give you a nice finish.

ok the deck on the high side is 1.3 m and the low side 30 cm. Ok thanks i will go and get some triple grips...

The joist strap wont work on the tricky side as the joist finishes halfway on the bearer it wont work from this angle unless i changed my design and ran the joist straight over this bearer, it might not look like it from the photo but there is not a lot of room to skew a nail...

The reason why i have made the deckboards slightly higher then the pool edge is because i had to excavate the area and then flattened the ground the best i could but with these zodiac pools they have brackets all the way around, the pressure of the water has made one side sink so it is uneven, its a square pool and the deck will be an L shape by me covering the rim you shouldnt notice the side which has sunk, thats the the theory

Triple grip is definately the best solution.

i just returned from the timber yard the guy told me that triple grips where not normally used for joists and also he said they didnt make the joist hanging nails any more.... I will try bunnings next

I agree to triple grips are fine or just jump in the pool and skew nail. I would screw the triple grips on just so you dont accidently knock the timber in the water.

i bought a box of the triple grips they are working out much better then the joist straps .... thanks for this tip

Yeah joist straps can be a pain sometimes. I still used em, They will do the trick. Good luck, dont forget to post some progress pics! We want to see!