Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which nail gun ?

What nail guns you recommend. The cheapest of the best sort of thing.

my next job is to make up a new fence around our house, and not looking forward to swinging a hammer all day.

I'm not exactly shore what sized nails I'll be using.

But I like the idea of a gun that'll shoot heavy nails ranging 50 mm up to what a framing gun will take. Do they make guns like that. Or will I have to buy two guns.

At work I shoot 65mm pins or less from this one gun. But I don't think the nails are heavy enough for the fence. Any ideas.

Going to town today,...will try to con the misses into buying one.

Any brand I should totally avoid ? (like from bunnings ?) Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Jake, our local Home Hardware is selling a Spear & Jackson nail gun that takes 50-90mm nails, for the princely sum of $129, 1 year warranty.

At that price, look at it as a hire charge!

My framing gun has given up the ghost after quite a few big projects (houseboat, big extension and 2 complete houses) I lent it out so someone and it packed up. As I had bought it s/h I reckon I had my money's worth out of it.

As I am now looking at building a timber framed potting shed for SWMBO, I will buy one of the $129 guns. If it lasts for that jog, like I said it would cost at least that to hire one. If it fails within a year, warranty will take care of it.

Had a look at one, and it seems OK.

Bunnings down here at the moment stocks Trade-air, GMC, & Magstorm nailguns.

Tradeair is made by Spear & Jackson, not a fan of the compressors (bit cheap & nasty) but no feedback on the nailguns to offer. Mate has a GMC coil nailer which he's happy with, but another has been through a couple that have some problem with the firing pin & misfire regularly. Nothing to offer on the Magstorm (we only have the framing gun at our store).

AFAIK there's nothing that will take collated nails up to framing size (50-90mm) other than an actual framing gun.

Other options for fencing would be a coil gun (up to 65mm I think) or a T nailer (don't know max length).

Cheers................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Framing nails seem a bit thick for holding palings on with.

All my guns are cheapies.

I use a trade air framer - it works ok.
    And a T nailer for palings, decking, flooring etc
    Plus a bradder 15 to 50mm for light trims
    And a stapler for ply, thin mdf and upholstery etc
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    My framing gun has given up the ghost after quite a few big projects (houseboat, big extension and 2 complete houses) I lent it out so someone and it packed up. As I had bought it s/h I reckon I had my money's worth out of it.
    In most nailguns the common parts that wear are the rubber o rings so you should be able to repair the gun easily enough.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    In most nailguns the common parts that wear are the rubber o rings so you should be able to repair the gun easily enough.
    Thanks echnidna, we did that twice, but this time the piston cracked and we couldn't find a replacement.

Thanks for the help. T nailers probably the go.

aluminium piston?
    might be weldable
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Exclamation

Jake, do yourself a favour and get a coil nailer for the fence. Don't use a t-nailer, it is a vastly inferior nail. It is only electoplated and will rust through in a few years. Also because the heads are so small, the palings can easily work loose if the wood shrinks away. I'm speaking from experience here, I don't know how many fences I've repaired because a t-nailer was used. Here's a previous thread.
    http://woodworkforums.com/showthread...t-nailer+fence

Cheers
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    aluminium piston?
    might be weldable
    yes the piston is aluminium, but reasonably thin. I think welding would be a job for a real expert, to do it without distorting it that is. Anyway, as I can buy a new gun for only $129, I think it is time to send it to the great nail gun heaven in the sky.

ok. Thanks Michael. Coil nailer. I'll google that and see what I get. I don't know the jargon too well.

Which of these would catch your eye ?
    http://search.ebay.com.au/search/sea...trypage=search

Jake I have an old bostich which is rather heavy and does not take plastic collated nails which offer wider nail variety. So look for a lighter one ( they become heavy if you're fencing all day), one that takes plastic or plastic and wire collated, has a depth adjustment and perhaps offers two triggers, a bump trigger for fencing and a single shot trigger for decks etc...

Cheers
    Michael

Thanks Michael. I'll bite the bullet on something. just trying to save money uno.

I had a closer look at the 65mm nails we use at work today. 16g. Galvanised. T Nailer. Being galvanised I thought why not use them for the fence. Borrow the bosses. Suspecting they may be a little too thin for palings though,, yes ?

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper View Post
    Thanks Michael. I'll bite the bullet on something. just trying to save money uno.

I had a closer look at the 65mm nails we use at work today. 16g. Galvanised. T Nailer. Being galvanised I thought why not use them for the fence. Borrow the bosses. Suspecting they may be a little too thin for palings though,, yes ?
    I did a test last year I think where I put a hot dipped gal nail (coil nail), a bright bullet head and a "gal" t-nail into weakly salty water. several months later, the h/d gal nail was unchanged. The t-nail and the bright nail showed rust after a day. the "gal" nails are only a thin electroplating.

Cheers
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast