Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Save my marriage. With pictures

Hi Team
    I have wooden internal stairs that all creak when you walk up them. This started to happen after the wife mopped them with God knows what. They are slide in stairs which I think may have been glued in. There does not appear to be any screws.

Thanks Cam

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

welcome
    Save your own marriage
    ask wife what she used
    crawl under the stairs and have a look maybe nailed by a pro.

get under it and take some pics so folks here can see what construction methods were used .... also, get someone to walk on it when you're under it and locate precisely where the creaking is coming from ..... finally, stop your wife from cleaning .... things just get dirty again anyway

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

As said, better take a dekko underneath. Creaking is caused simply by wood rubbing against wood or a fastener rubbing against wood. If you don't have any screws now, you will when you fix the creaking.

Make sure the treads are completely dried out before undertaking any repairs. If you post pics, we may be able to give you specific advice.
    Cheers,

Bob

Default Save my marriage. With pictures

PLease Any advice team on how to stop these flamin stairs from creaking everytime we walk on them. After the wife mopped them with God knows what they all started to creak everytime we walk on them. Please help me.

Cam

Try some baby powder and brush it in well the silica in the powder acts as a dry lube , works on floor boards,
    Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Good now we can see what you got
    Still the same answer from me save your own marriage ASK swmbo what she used. stop being a whimp.

They have been nailed I can see the nail holes which have been filled in the first photo and last using putty over the top. They will have been put in at an angle. So when you step onto the step they will tend to pull.

looking at the last photo you can see either shrinkage has pulled the step away from the side.

So did you do what one of the other fellows suggested get someone to walk over them bounce on them while you were under taking photos an watch for the movement.

You could go over each and every nail using a punch and drive them in further and refill with putty sand the whole staircase and refinish it would get rid of the paint spater also.

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

I agree with the powder.... but it ain't "silica" in there it's TALC!

Whatever Chris but it works
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Cut some thin wedges and drive them into the gap underneath the tread to tighten it up in its housing.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Dry lube silicone spray works on everything and lasts for a while too. Just be aware that you may need to remove the silicone from the surface with prepsol or some other wax & silicone remover if you want to re lacquer in the future.
    Cheers

Alan M

My Daughter's food blog www.spicyicecream.com.au

I like Mick's idea. Lots of sharp hardwood wedges from underneath. Don't drive them in deeper than the rebate, and keep an eye that you're not bashing the stringer out.
    You could try some galvanised (galv grips better) bullet head nails1.5>2.5 gauge, driven in the corner from underneath the treads, on an angle up into the stringer. When puttied over they'd hardly be noticed. More solid, but more noticeable would be countersunk screws.
    But if there's a gap, or even a small crack, then I'd drive a wedge in and chop it off flush.

Applying any type of lubricant to the tread/stringer joint will only mask the problem, not fix it. Driving in wedges will tighten the joint and fix the problem rather than just mask it.

You may also need to tie the two stringers together at one or two points, this will make the whole assembly more rigid and thus less likely to creak. There's two ways I can think of to do this, one way is to use threaded rod, the other is to tie some of the treads to the stringers with timber blocks and screws (on the underside obviously).

Take the time to fix it right, once or keep re-applying lubricant, what would you rather?

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

I say all of the above is overkill!!!

If you have a squeaky hinge, would you remove the door, replace the hinges and put it all back? NO, you would start with putting some lubricant on it to stop the squeak, if you have to do it again in 6 or 12 months, big deal.

Being timber it is going to grow and shrink with the weather or the mop, so you could go to all the trouble and pack and wedge and screw and fart around and the next change in the weather cracks or creaks develop.

I rest my case your honour.
    Cheers

Alan M

My Daughter's food blog www.spicyicecream.com.au

Except that a hinge is a part that is supposed to move whereas treads aren't supposed to move in the stringers, they're two very different problems requiring two very different solutions, trust me I've fixed quite a number of squeaky staircases for people who've tried all the usual wax/talc/silicone spray tricks.

Mick

PS there are no short cuts in building work, do you really think that any tradesman is going to do anything that's not absolutely neccesary to get the job done?

- Henry Ford 1938

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast