Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Random Orbital Sanders - Ozito, GMC or??

Hi I've got two small verandahs to sand down after spraywashing with Karcher and then staining. And possibly one WB house to paint... the current paint is not in bad nick but the wrong colour.

Pretty amazed at the price of some of the tools at Bunnings and the like. Have a $29.95 Ozito 184mm from the local hardware that feels light and for that price and the limited use can't see too much downside.

Can see Ozitos, GMC with the dual (125 and 150mm) interchangable pads. I've got a Bosch drill I've had for years but I'd hardly call that sexy. Looking for something that is light to use, fun and possibly not megabucks.

For what I have in mind what make would you suggest? After these projects the tools could well sit unused for some time.

Will most of these hook up to shop vac?

Thanks,
    John.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day John,
    Don't know about the Ozito, buy I have three ROS...one a Ryobi.....has buggered velcro, and the other two are GMC's....both gifts.
    The dual GMC is not the bees' knees of ROS.....it works with the following limitations.
    1. Using 40 grit pads results in irremovable circles in the stock.
    2. My machine does not like the highest speed.....it unwinds the velcro pad, but runs ok on 3/4 speed.
    3. The rubber pad over the on/off switch creeps under the switch mechanism, so the a jolt on the bench will start it up.......fun.
    4. I have never used the 125mm model as I can't get the vac fitting to fit.
    These are not tales out of school, as I have notified GMC of all of these problems.
    I know I could get the machines replaced under warranty, but I don't know that I need another one.
    I wonder if stores would give you a demo on the Ozito???

Hi Watson thanks for your experience with the GMCs. Just back from Bunnings and without giving anyone a run, the dustbags on the Ozito (450W, 125mm @ $52) don't look very business like. Small cotton bags.

Must admit the smaller of the two Bosch's there caught my eye, the PEX270 (around $99) looks about the right weight and looks to have a very good dustcatcher. I see one other post in here somewhere where the user said he could use this for a reasonable length of time without getting numb hands and the dust collection seemed affective. Whether or not 270W is powerful of not, not really sure. It also comes with what looks to be a decent case and manuals.

Might ask about a demo... guess to be any use you'd have to be sanding something rather than just giving a couple a "rev"

Had a bosch, it was ok
    I had an ozito, very nice to use, I will buy another.
    Got a GMC now, it works ok but I won't buy another.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

For the kind of sanding you are contemplating, I suggest that dust collection into a vac of some sort is the most important feature. Check to see which ones will fit to a shop vac. Otherwise, you will be covered in dust and the small dust bags are a joke and the dust build-up wears away the abrasives very quickly.

Just my two bob's worth.
    Cheers,

Bob

Thanks HB... anyone with any suggestions for a make and number of watts for a Shop Vac.

John

avoid a gmc, they don't last.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by MelbMan View Post
    Thanks HB... anyone with any suggestions for a make and number of watts for a Shop Vac.

John
    No worries. Sucking up sanding dust is not as difficult as sucking up nuts and bolts, so almost anything will do. More importantly, check the fitting against the fitting of your sander to make certain they are compatible.

Also, be sure the sander has a good warranty, as the cheaper ones are hit or miss and may need replacing two or three times before your project is done.
    Cheers,

Bob

So taking Watsons advice a helpful guy at the local Bunnings gave me a demo yesterday of an Ozito 450W and also the Bosch PEX270. The Bosch was a lot smoother, still some vibration of course. THe Ozito felt powerful.
    But the Ozito did feel like revving up say a Kia or Hydunai engine as the revs rose it sounded like a cement mixer with a marble in it. Whereas the Bosch perhaps a V6 but not the best V6.

So I might go back one more time and try something a bit up from the Bosch to see if they feel any smoother. While I won't use this ROS continuously I figure I'm saving some money doing it myself. So I want something with the lowest fatigue factor. I'm partially doing this for the pride of doing it yourself and being able to look at the finished job. But enjoying the steps that make up the job.

Came home with a Stanley AntiVibe hammer (just over $50). It wasn't the cheapest hammer by any means but swings very nicely. A small punching job on a verandah afterwards has marked the head a little bit but using a punch I wanted something with a good swing and enjoyable to use. Min is 450gm... just about the right weight for me.

My other recent tool purchase was a $29.95 Xceed 184mm circular saw from the local hardware. They told me the same company distribute the WorX brand. I don't have in mind anything at all at the moment to cut.. so with this in mind it seemed hard to go too wrong with this at the price. So didn't feel too guilty about paying a bit more for yesterdays hammer )

John

My other recent tool purchase was a $29.95 Xceed 184mm circular saw from the local hardware. I don't have in mind anything at all at the moment to cut..
    In that case, the saw will work out fine. If you decide to actually cut something, you may have to have a re-think.
    Cheers,

Bob

HB.. touche!

As you say perhaps I can just plug the Xceed in and give it a run every now and then. And look at something more serious should some serious cutting cross my path.

John on the learning curve

HB.. touche!

As you say perhaps I can just plug the Xceed in and give it a run every now and then. And look at something more serious should some serious cutting cross my path.

John on the learning curve
    No worries, mate. Just havin' a bit of a lend. I would hate to tell you about my first jigsaw.
    Cheers,

Bob

Bob just back from Bunnings and finished up with a 125mm Makita ROS.

Saw the same guy as yesterday and he was again happy to open up packaging for a trial run. They had a new 5 in 1 Black and Decker sander.
    I was thinking 5 in 1 couldn't be good. You wouldn't believe how much this vibrated. My hands are still tingling. Back to the box for that one ($99).

So next step up was a Makita or DeWalt in that price order. The vibes on the Makita B05021K are about half the Bosch PEX270 (which in turn has about half the vibration of an Ozito). The Makita's got a a nice colourful carrying case.. the deal was done. So for me the level of vibration was the buying key. Thanks guys for your input here.

Here's a link to a series of reviews from Amazon which I found when I got home with the new "baby"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00004YOKD?showViewpoints=1"]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Makita BO5021K Random Orbit Sander (Variable Speed)[/ame]

John

John,

How much did the Makita set you back in the end? And is the Bosch PEX270 a green or blue bosch?

Cheers,
    James.

Hi James $177 for the Makita (comes with 15 sanding discs for what they are worth). THe Bosch PEX270 is a green one and $99. Both prices from Bunnings. Both come in plastic carry boxes... the Makita is very snappy looking and more the size of old fashioned leather bag. The Bosch case is more like a briefcase. HTH

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast