Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Need ideas to get dried grout off tiles.

Does anyone know how to get dried grout off the surface of tiles without damaging the surface?
    A bloched job has left dried grout on the tiles and I've tried to scrape the grout off but it is a slow job.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'd try metho or turps with steel wool or brass brush. Don't hold me responsible for any damage to the tiles though

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadamona View Post
    I'd try metho or turps with steel wool or brass brush. Don't hold me responsible for any damage to the tiles though
    DON'T use THIS method.

You will end up with steel or brass marks on your tiles. These marks can be more difficult (than the grout) to remove properly.

If the tiles are on the floor or flat surface, you could try a WEAK solution of hydrochloric acid and water. No matter what you use you will need to be careful as the grout is abrasive.

I think your best option is to use a "sharp" scraper and just try to "lift" (scrape) the grout off. Be aware of course that too sharp an edge can easily crack/mark any glaze on the tile.

Good luck.
    Kind Regards

Peter

Try and remember, a tiles' surface is very hard, usually harder than glass. Considering you usually score a tile by using a diamond or carbide-tipped instrument. I'd avoid using chemicals as it could affect the rest of the grout. Using 000 or 0000 steel wool or a fine brass brush shouldn't mark the surface (but as always, test on a scrap tile beforehand). From experiance, I have used a coarse brass-brush in a drill and even that didn't scratch my tiles.

If your tiles are textured? you'll have a tougher job getting grout out of the pattern.

Perhaps even try using a Mica scraper so you can get some force behind it without worrying about scratching the tiles.

Thanks guys, I'll try the brush method first, then progress from there. The tiles are not textured . Cheers

i did a shocking job grouting some tiles at my old place they where not a gloss finish, just some cheap floor tiles. I got this little scrapped from bunnings which is a grout removal tool it has an edge that looks like the jigsaw blade edge for cutting tiles didnt leave a single mark (as said where not gloss tiles) really helped clean up the shocking job i did. This was after it was well and truley dried also!

Quote Originally Posted by sirgoat View Post
    i did a shocking job grouting some tiles at my old place they where not a gloss finish, just some cheap floor tiles. I got this little scrapped from bunnings which is a grout removal tool it has an edge that looks like the jigsaw blade edge for cutting tiles didnt leave a single mark (as said where not gloss tiles) really helped clean up the shocking job i did. This was after it was well and truley dried also!
    I have to agree. I did the same. The tool was less than 10 dollars and I've used it on other jobs since. Works a treat.
    Rick
    uhm , where am I ?