Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Coast Help

Default Gold Coast Help

I have just joined, I have an interest in Woodwork, making mostly sawdust, and would like to be more involved in the New year.

The Gold Coast is very barren for groups, there is a Wood turning group near me, but that is not really my interest.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

STAR

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Star,

What type of woodwork are you interested in?
    What's your experience?
    Do you have a work area setup?

I just did a google search on 'woodwork gold coast' and it returned a few people who run classes, adult education and private people.

Fletcher

Fletcher.

the only thing I can find is a course at the Gold Coast TAFE.

I have a small hobby workshop. Equipment.

TABLE SAW
    SLIDING SAW
    ROUTER TABLE

DRILLS, SANDERS, CHAIN SAW, BELT SANDER. FIXED BELT SANDER ETC.

Looking to Santa for Jointer and thicknesser.

I am not interested in fanch fine timber furniture , I am not that good, but live on small acreage and like to build outdoor garden things etc.

Talking Star trouble.

1)Look through these forums. If you can"t find one that fits you then I'd be greatly surprised.
    2)Watch the lifestyle programs on TV
    3) Go to all the "How to" and DIY events that you can at places like Bunnings.
    4) Buy some home handyman books eg Readers Digest.

Question: Why the name Star?

Artme.

I have used that name on all the bloggs and sites I am interested in. It started in a Performance field I am involved in when hubris was more important then substance.

Star

I'm moving from Brisbane to the Coast in a weeks time. I wish I'd taken the time to attend one of Richard Vaughan or Robert Howard's classes in Brisbane. I suppose I still could, but it'd be a bit of a drive. If you come across classes or groups please let me know.

Maybe there are enough forum members in the region who would like to meet up.....
    "If something is really worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - GK Chesterton

Dion.

The Richard Vaughan and Robert Howard courses you mentioned , were they promoted by Carbatec at Cooparoo.

I can remember picking up some promotional leaflets on some course last year and thought they would be interesting.

There was a week end routing course too. Unfortunately i do not get to Brisbane that often, but I would live at Carbatec if I did.

STAR i reckon u got the most important tool of all for fine woodwork,,,Chain saw

I've noticed there are a few member of this board on the Gold Coast, although one is just about to depart for Japan. Maybe it's time to have a GC BBQ and bring the locals out of the woodwork (so to speak)?

Elanorer(sp?) has a WW Club, there is also one in Tweed Valley, think there is also a Mudgerrba based club as well.

Cruzi.

The Mudgeeraba one is a Wood Turning Group. They are very active and operate four nights a week and on some week ends. They have their own club house and some very friendly members.

I know a few from other interests and the club is only about 3 minutes from my place.

Unfortunately, wood turning does not do it for me, a pity, because I think that club is very active and an asset to the Mudgeeraba and Gold Coast Community.

Still, if I can not find what I want I might join up as I feel I will learn about wood and other issues that will benefit my sawdust making.

I do not know of the other groups mentioned can you give us more details.

The Tweed Club meets on Mondays out at Limpinwood Valley but will be moving to Murwillumbah Showgrounds next year.

A few turners in the club but a few cabinet makers and scroll-sawers as well.

The president of the Tweed Club is also a member of the Elanora Club, they do everything there. Think they run 4 days a week, not sure which ones though.

Will pm you contact details next week sometime.

Thanks Cruzi.

I look forward to your message.

Welcome aboard Star. Apart from the Mudg group of woodturners, don't know of any others in the area.

Fuzzie's idea of a BBQ is a good one, but too late now for this year. Love BBQ's and if nobody else vulunteers to hold one soon, I will early in the new year. Gary from GPW was also thinking about holding another one.
    Neil

Dai.

I would love to catch up with all the Gold Coast Woodies. I agree with Christmas here and family commitments its a bit hard but I hope we can all meet up early in the New Year.

I will offer to be the Apprentice chief. My family reckon I make a mean burnt sausage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast