Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Turning on a router table?

Anyone had any experience with this method? Strange concept really, but it is supposed to work.
    Check this site out

http://www.woodmagazine.com/seminars.../tbleturn.html

If nothing else - interesting!
    Although I doubt the humble lathe will ever loose its job!!

Cheers

Shane....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Has you ever used a thread cuuting tool? We had one some years ago and cutting threads in material like Jarrah was not the easiest. It is not your traditional Pommy Box. I mounted a router just in front of the tool and took out 90% of the waste first. This produced very good results. We have also used the router on the lathe to produce very accurate cylinders and tapers but not quite the same as shown in the site Shane has lead us to. The lathe really is the tool for making things round when you don't have one there are obviously other ways to get the job done. Woodwork is full of interesting things. I have also made dowels by machining timber to squares then routing four times with a round over bit, finishing off with abrasives. This method is especially useful when you need long lengths of things like handrail. We recently made some for the public galleries in the Senate Chamber in Parliament House using this method. I don't have a long bed lathe ( yet ).
    Happy routing.
    Shaun.