Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Using plywood that has been wet

Hi,

I've just been told that my workshop suffered a bit of flooding and leaking roof in the downpours we've had in Melbourne today.

No serious damage, after recent rain all my plans are now off the floor, as is any timber. (And I'm happy we're getting some rain!).

However, I've been told that the plywood panels I have cut out for my S&G kayak got wet (4mm marine gaboon ply). Don't know how wet, could be just some drops of water on them. They're ona bench with plastic over them, but apparetly it came off a bit and the roof leaked on them a bit...not sitting in water, just drops on the face of the panels.

Assuming they're not totally soaked, and dry flat, will they be OK to use? I know ply can become delaminated but will there be any hidden/future issues? I can live with some water stains as it will mainly be painted.

Will investigate tomorrow when I'm home, just pre-empting if I need to start again

Thanks,
    Darren

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Darren,

What type of ply is it? If it is Australian marine ply or BS1088 or even exterior ply with an A bond, it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure it is dry before you glue it up. You shouldn't have any delamination problems from a bit of rain water. the BS1088 and the Aussie marine ply have a water proof/boil proof bond.

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

Yep, if it's marine ply it won't be a problem.

If it's not, well it serves you right dunnit?

Even after a good soaking it should be ok, but will be discoloured (waterstained) no doubt.

Cheers, (and sorry about the wet)

P

Hi,

Thnaks for the responses.

Yep, definitely BS1088 - wouldn't be anything else...I may try to save a few bucks here and there, but it'll be marine ply, proper epoxy and fittings. Not going to muck around with my safety...hence my qustion, didn't want it causing me problems down the track.

Appears to be just some spots from rain, not as bad as first thought so will be OK.

Thanks,
    Darren