Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Kitchen Drawer Sizes

Hi All,

I am finalising the details for our kitchen reno, but I am having trouble with drawer sizes.

I am planning on having 2 drawer banks of 900mm(w) x 650 or 750mm (d) drawers. Will drawers this size be way too big and awkward to use? Planning to use these for crockery primarily.

I was planning on using Blum Tandem or Tandembox runners for this exercise.

All opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jonty

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Jonty,

The best suggestion I can give, is try it. Build a mock-up, put the crockery in it, and see if it is too big or awkward. Note, that a well built drawer with good quality runners will help a huge amount in the ease of using the drawer, just make sure the runner is weighted for how much weight the drawer will carry.

900 wide drawers!!! That's W I D E !!!!! Where abouts in the kitchen are you planning on putting these drawers? if they are opened, where does the person stand to use them, considering they are 750 (max) deep. Do they have to lean over to reach the back of the drawer, or stand from the stand?

I kinda feel, that these drawers are waaaaay to big for crockery and too awkward, considering the depth.

Yeah, I think building a mock-up will help you immensely.

Cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by JontyG View Post
    I am planning on having 2 drawer banks of 900mm(w) x 650 or 750mm (d) drawers. Will drawers this size be way too big and awkward to use? Planning to use these for crockery primarily.
    I've built drawers 900mm wide but 500mm deep in our kitchen, one set for pots and pans and the other for corning ware dishes etc.

They are built out of 19mm melamine both sides and bottom. Very solidly built and no problems whatsoever in regards to the weight etc with normal standard runners. We've been using them now for about 16 years and still no sigh of wear on the runners.

Much easier to use then forever getting on your hands and knees to forage for them on shelves. One day no kitchen will have shelves below bench height but only drawers.

Peter.

Hi Jonty

With superior quality runners like Blum you can put quite heavy loads in drawers with few problems. Make sure you get double action runners so you can pull the drawers fully out and do not have an inaccessible rear section - I think Blum are all double action.

Many drawers are unnecessarily deep. If shallower you can fit in an extra drawer and increase the effective storage space. For example, our cutlery drawers are 150mm deep - much waste space above the partitions. Depth of 100mm would be adequate.

Our largest saucepan only requires vertical clearance of 170mm. Our largest 15 litre boiler requires 265mm vertical clearance when laid on its side. Crockery stacked 600mm high might be unstable and breakage prone .......

Have you thought about wandering around a couple of kitchen display centres and poaching the ideas and sizings from the professionals?

Good luck

Graeme

FWIW I agree with all that's been stated .... my only query is the depth of your drawers, which I personally think is too deep unless you have particular items requiring dedicated drawers that deep.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Well 900 x 650 will be perfect for a kitchen drawer.