Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Chalenge Create a project with the router used in the plunge mode

Reading the "Challenge create the ideal router table" has prompted me to ask you to produce an article, which could be part of a project where the router table was not used, Few examples: Leg for a table or chair, Elliptical Trinket box, Elliptical Picture frame, Small rectangular bxes with mitred corners, just to mention a few.
    Learn new Routing skills with the use of the template guides

Log on to You Tube for a collection of videos 'Routing with Tom O'Donnell'

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Re: Challenge: Create a project with the router used in the plunge mode

Originally posted by Template Tom
    Reading the "Challenge create the ideal router table" has prompted me to ask you to produce an article, which could be part of a project where the router table was not used, Few examples: Leg for a table or chair, Elliptical Trinket box, Elliptical Picture frame, Small rectangular boxes with mitred corners, just to mention a few.
    No takers?????

How about a table edge does that count?
    Cheers, Al

Sorry no

Default Why?

Hi Tom,

Why limit to plunge mode? Make things using the most convenient, safest and cost effective method.

The plunge mode is more useful is certain situations but the table mode is more useful other situations (where it is safer or more accurate to push the workpiece instead of pushing the router).

Don't get me wrong. The router in plunge mode is very very useful making the router called "the most versatile tool".

When I made my "Reuel's DIY router-table", I had to use the router in plunge-mode using premade-jigs and template guides to ensure accuracy of tracks and dadoes.

The table greatly reduce the number of jigs and templates required because of the movable fence and movable mitre guide. Hence the motivation to build or buy a table. It also improve accuracy.

Ask people why they buy a table-saw or Triton even though it may be possible to just use their portable circular saw + jigs to make many things.
    Reuel

Default Re: Why?

Originally posted by reuelt
    Hi Tom,

Why limit to plunge mode? Make things using the most convenient, safest and cost effective method.

"I have at least two routers in the router table permanently fixed so I do not limit the router to the plunge mode. Who said that the router table is the most convenient and SAFEST and cost effective? Someone that has tried both methods?

The plunge mode is more useful is certain situations but the table mode is more useful other situations (where it is safer or more accurate to push the workpiece instead of pushing the router).

"I agree with the first statement. Again who says it is Safer and more accurate to push the workpice instead of pushing the router?? Some one that has never tried using the template guides??"

Don't get me wrong. The router in plunge mode is very very useful making the router called "the most versatile tool".

When I made my "Reuel's DIY router-table", I had to use the router in plunge-mode using premade-jigs and template guides to ensure accuracy of tracks and dadoes.

The table greatly reduce the number of jigs and templates required because of the movable fence and movable mitre guide. Hence the motivation to build or buy a table. It also improve accuracy.

" We are only talking about using the table mode for a limited number of projects, have you ever considered what can be achieved with the router in the plunge mode with the aid of the template guides"?

Would you allow a blind person to use the router in the router Table? I would allow a blind person to use the router in the plunge mode once I had set up the Jigs and templates required."

Ask people why they buy a table-saw or Triton even though it may be possible to just use their portable circular saw + jigs to make many things.

"Personally I would purchase a table saw to make the jigs and templates and certainly not a portable circular saw. The Jig saw is also used in some instances for the consrtuction."

" Have a look at what I am saying "Take you router out from under the table and use template guides to Get More from Your Router" you will be surprised what it realy can do."

check out the latest American Woodsmith no.150.

http://www.woodsmith.com/main/ws150toc.html

Just got it last night so haven't thoroughly read it but there is an article on template routing, then they go on to make 3 gift boxes using the techniques shown.

Tom, I guess thats what you are looking for?
    To err is human, to really stuff up requires a computer!

Default American Woodsmith No 150

Originally posted by stephenmeddings
    check out the latest American Woodsmith no.150.

"I did check out the magazine as you requested (on the internet only) there certainly is a gift box there that would fall into the category of Template guides. I was unable to see the method used and what templates and template guides were used to make the box."

"If you wish some samples of what I mean have a look at my Home page www.wa1.quik.com.au/tod "

http://www.woodsmith.com/main/ws150toc.html

Just got it last night so haven't thoroughly read it but there is an article on template routing, then they go on to make 3 gift boxes using the techniques shown.

"It is not a magazine I usually purchase though I used to get the Australian version. I would be interested in the article if you could send me a copy to view I would then be in a better position to say that was what I was lookig for. It does look promising though".

Tom, I guess thats what you are looking for?

" I hope it will be what I am asking others to look for.

I should have mentioned click under photographs on the home page

Tom, I'll scan a copy tonight for you.

Looking at the photos, its like the heart shaped trinket you have. They go on and make a lid etc.
    To err is human, to really stuff up requires a computer!

Stephen
    Thank you very much I will be interested in the method chosen

Default Tks

Thanks Tom,

I respect your opinion and skills.

BTW, I have already been using the router template guides since 1990 when I bought my first router (1HP). I now have a 3.25HP Hitachi and I do have and use template guides. Hitachi routers do not need 3rd party Guide Bushes. Original 9.5 to 40mm available. 16mm comes std.
    Last edited by reuelt; 4th December 2003 at 06:56 PM.
    Reuel

You would be one of the few who would use template guides. I would be interested in what sort of projects you achieve with the use of the guides.

Have a look at my home page to see what I have been doing
    www.wa1.quik.com.au/tod

There is quite a variety of projects listed under Photographs
    keep up the good work hope to hear from you soon.
    I think I should get of this forum and let others have a go so you may not hear from me for a few days but I will keep coming in to see what is going on.

I have just completed my latest idea. still to be used on a final project, that is to insert housing dovetail joints and routing Mitres with the router in the plunge mode. Size of material is only 40mm x 7mm. will let you see the final project now that I can post pics