It's my month for getting all my problems off my chest,
This one is as the result of a silly lack of foresight on my part.
I havd a small 6" NAEROK planer/thicknesser which was excellent when I first got it. Suddenly it startId to plane the wood all different angles and shapes.

After trying all sorts, I finally stripped it down and found the cavity betwen the base of the planer and the stand was stuffed (I mean hard stuffed) with planings which had eventually forced the chain of the height adjuster to jump cogs and the result was that the rising work-base was at about 10 degrees off the horizontal.
What a wuss I hear you saying, red faced I have to agree.
I put the chain back, fortunately it hadn't stretched, as there was a jockey with a good amount of play, which had allowed the cogs to slip .
Now. I put the chain back in place at what I thought was the right height but when I tested it, planing was very lopsided and I just couldn't see how to get it right.

This rambling post ends with me asking, Is there a method of accurately setting up planers?
i) I did wonder if screwing the work-base pillar screws right up to the top then putting the chain on and hoped that was the answer. It wasn't.
ii) Then I got my engineer friend to turn me up some very accurate pieces of tubular mild steel and used them as spacers and though that ws better, there is a slight downward slope on wood emerging from the throat of the thicknesser.

How do they set 'em in the factory? Can't ask as I was told Naerok are no longer in existence. (You may know differently/)
As always, any advice would be useful and very welcome!

docusk