Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fitting Triton 184mm Saw to WC2000

Just registered. Recently bought a bundle of Triton equipment including WC2000, Biscuit Jointer, Finger Jointer, Router Base to fit my Triton Router Table & second hand 184mmm Triton saw. I cannot seem to be able to get the Saw Clamping knobs to tighten down onto the Saw base before the red knob hits the red locating base part of the clamp leaving a small gap and the saw loose. The saw base appears to be too thin. It does tighten at one point where the base is thicker due to the moulding for the fence when used in portable mode. The only way around this appears to be to fit a shim in between, but does not seem the right way to do it? Anybody had similar problems? I have already spent two days setting up the saw (including assembling the WC2000!)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'd make a sub-base out of 6 mm ply or MDF and stick it to the sole plate with double sided tape, then plunge the saw blade through it and mount the whole thing in the WC. The down side is that you will loose another 6 mm off your already limited depth of cut. With a 184 mm saw you will only get around 40 mm to start with so another 6 mm will take you down to 34 mm (or maybe even less). Sounds like a good excuse to get the excellent Triton 235 mm saw.

cheers

George

Doesn't sound like a bad solution there George - just one large glorified shim!
    Might be able to get away with 3mm MDF (so long as the clamps tighten)

I think Triton User is right in wanting to not use individual shims - too much chance of them vibrating loose, and out, or at least not holding the saw securely enough.

I'm often struggling with the 63mm or so that a 9 1/4" saw gives me, I'd hate to have 40 (or 34mm) max depth of cut!
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Many thanks to you both. At least I am not having a senior moment and it is not only me who has had this problem, I am going to make up a plate the full size as suggested ( I think 1,5 to 3,0 mm aluminium plate may do it as it only just does not "bite" when I tighten the Locks. I can fortunately get this machined for me. I have temporarily used two router finger guards in the interim but also fear they may vibrate loose. Good news isI tried my first sample cuts last night and they seem very accurate when using a good square as reference. It seems the fiddling on setting up the saw is paying off. I am already saving for a 235mm Triton and a 2400 watt Router.

Adopted George N's idea this weekend, but instead cut two perspex (Acrylic) strips wide enough to provde adequate purchase for either side and then attached them to the top of the 184mm Triron saw base plate, with double sided tape, instead of the underside. Therefore did not loose any cuttign depth. I sugest that one check any existing protusions on any other make of saw with similar problems, as I had to cut one strip shorter on the left hand side of the saw, to acomodate it's own fence mount, when fitted in the handheld mode. In any event, as mentioned before, I could use this protusion to tigthen onto without a "shim". I then re-secured the Triton lock tabs. Works like a treat and, as I used clear acrylic, there is no need to remove if used in handheld mode, as all the graduations are still clearly vsible through the mounting strips. Also, there is no "give", due to the firmness of the clear acrylic, which provides a nice solid locking arragment. Took 10 minuites to do the whole job. Thanks again and hope this may help someone else.

Good stuff.

I missed it first time around - it is a Triton 184mm saw that doesn't fit properly

I guess that's what happens when tools get rebadged either without properly researching their suitability, or ignoring that they are not suitable to marry up with other major components from the same company (IMHO).
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com