Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cordless drill Help

Need some advice on the purchase of a Cordless Power Drill. My current project requires me to fasten Laserlite sheeting to a treated pine frame, using Oneshot 50mm screws, apporx 6x7m area.My current drill runs out of puff after 10-15min.

Budget < $600. Brands I have looked at are Dewalt, Makita and Bosh. Will a 14.4v suffice or I need a 18v?

After this project is over, the drill will be mainly used on weekends for work at home.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by cfour View Post
    Need some advice on the purchase of a Cordless Power Drill. My current project requires me to fasten Laserlite sheeting to a treated pine frame, using Oneshot 50mm screws, apporx 6x7m area.My current drill runs out of puff after 10-15min.

Budget < $600. Brands I have looked at are Dewalt, Makita and Bosh. Will a 14.4v suffice or I need a 18v?

After this project is over, the drill will be mainly used on weekends for work at home.
    If a 14.4 would do, my local Bunnings is selling the Bosch Professional GSR for 200 bucks on sale (and would probably retail for more like 300) with other drills up to that 600 budget of yours. This is with the uprated 2.0 aH battery. (My older GSR has only got a 1.5 battery).

In my experience, using cordless drills for screwing into timber generally puts a reasonable load on the run time of batteries. The best solution is 2X 18volt batteries, with a 1 hour charger. LI-ON is another option, however they are pretty expensive, and I am told they only recharge 500 times, versus 2000 with nicad.

I use an 18volt Dewalt DC925 all day every day. It handles everything I throw at it, except for masonry for which I use a Dewalt 18volt rotary hammer drill. If you need other tools you simply buy other Dewalt 18 volt stuff from the states via EBAY cheaply, and use your existing battery/charger.

In the Dewalt range, the vast majority of tools are 18 volts. This is important if you want to be able to buy other Dewalts, and use your current battery/charger. I think there are over 30 different tools which use the Dewalt 18v system.

One annoying thing with the Dewalt charger, is although it has a 1 hour charger, it refuses to charge a HOT battery which has recently been given a very hard time until it cools down. I understand this is to extend the life of the battery, but it is annoying if you don't have enough batteries and have a LOT of work to do...

There are cheaper brands, but if you get something like this it will last you for years.

I would assume this is similar for Bosch and Makita, however I don't have much experience with them.

Went to Bunnings and had a look at the dewalts, they only had old stock but were advertising a 18v for $450 (2-speed so I assume old stock). The new model 18v would set me back around $550 elsewhere. Wonder if there is much difference in the new model except for the 3-speed?

Had a look at the Bosh GSRs but they seemed to be at full retail, no special at the Bunnings I was at.

Makita 18V Li Ion system is not bat but costs a bit in OZ. Alternative is to import from US and spend $75.00 on a transformer to handle the different mains voltage.
    Batteries available in 1.5 AH and 3AH. Most units now have a charger that charges 1.5 batts in 15min, 3AH in 25min. Earlier charger was a 45minute charge.
    Chargers cope with hot/warm batteries by charging at lower rates and include a fan and ducting to cool the battery.
    Good range of items in the system, from radio through drills compact to SDS hammer, impact drivers, sabre saws, jig saws, circular saws (wood and timber), 1/2 in drive rattle gun.
    Few people selling US sourced gear on ebay, or you can buy through woodcraft etc in US, or US ebay.

Hope this is usefull in making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by cfour View Post
    Went to Bunnings and had a look at the dewalts, they only had old stock but were advertising a 18v for $450
    Sounds like a cheaper model. You either want a DC925, or a DC988. The 925 is a newer model with more grunt. They are both 3 speed.

I get all my dewalt stuff from here http://stores.ebay.com.au/RUBYGIRLS-TOOLS The auctions end at greatly differing prices. I have seen the circular saws (no battery or charger) go for anywhere between AU$100, and AU$150 including postage. I normally wouldn't let on because of increased competition, but I have all the Dewalt stuff I will need for quite a while .

Don't bother with a transformer to convert the charger to 240V, just throw the 110v charger out, (or sell it for $10.00)! The 240V chargers come up for about $110 for Aussie models on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DeWALT-DC925-...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know about warrantee though. I have never had a faulty item yet.

have a look at the panasonic 15.6v. I've got one and love it.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

The closest I have come to a 925 locally is the following 2

18v - http://www.justtools.com.au/prod157.htm
    14v - http://www.justtools.com.au/prod1391.htm

I need this drill withing the next 2 days so ebay is out, maybe for future purchases.

Wondering if the 14v might just do or the 18v is a safer bet (just heavy)... keep in mind I will need to screw in around 300+ 50m oneshot screws.

I would go for the larger "grunt" than what I need , in theory it "should" keep up with you ......though putting in that many screws, I would probably go for a good power drill with good speed adjustments ......

The 920 looks like the same as the 925 without hammer. Considering hammer action is pretty poor unless they are rotary hammer, that is not an issue. I have had one for years, and only used the hammer action once or twice. When I drill masonry, I use a Dewalt rotary cordless.

14 volt cordless is not sufficient for timber work IMO. You could get away with it for a few screws, but not a big job.

Vijays power tools at Mascot, Sydney should have the entire Dewalt range. I reckon he has the widest range of power tool companies around, and Vijay is a top bloke.

Just to throw another idea around, for driving screws into timber you should really be using an impact driver like http://www.justtools.com.au/prod2972.htm

This would work much better than a normal drill, however it is mainly used for driving screws into timber, and not usefull for general drilling.

Panasonic make an impact driver which can be used as a drill as well http://www.justtools.com.au/prod5007.htm A friend has one and he tells me it is pretty good, but i haven't used it.

Impact drivers work sorta like a rattle gun in that they transfer the torque to the screw much better. Great for timber. You can screw them in without predrilling, and they don't strip the head or snap the screws as much.

Time for me to go to bed! Good luck in your search

Totally agree with av elec. A cordless drill is ok for drilling but for screwing you need and impact driver, I have the exact 18v dewalt as shown and its superb. I use it to screw off custom orb roofing and one battery will do 200-300 screws.

I really could not justify spending that much on an impact driver, so a drill will have to do. I just noticed this hitachi model DS18DL(HL), any opinions or personal experience?

Features:
    • New Li-ion battery technology, (lightweight, long life & compatible)
    • Powerful 64Nm of torque
    • Only weighs 2.1kg
    • 13mm keyless single sleeve chuck with automatic spindle lock
    • 22-stage torque adjustment
    • Comfortable non-slip grip handle
    • With 2-step action Switch lever (Power mode/Save mode)
    • Fully compatible with all existing 18v Hitachi batteries
    • Charge time: Approx 45 minutes

Specifications:
    • Capacity Wood: 50mm (2")
    • Capacity Screw: 8 x 100mm
    • Battery: 18v, 3.0Ah Li-ion
    • No Load Speed: 0 - 1,600 rpm
    • Chuck: 13mm keyless
    • Length: 234mm
    • Weight: 2.1kg
    • Clutch: 22 stage

Includes:
    • Cooling charger
    • 2 batteries
    • Driver bit
    • Side handle
    • Carry case

12 MONTHS WARRANTY

The 18v dewalt looks like the go, unless this hitachi model has good recommendations.

I've never had a bad Hitachi tool yet. I have dad's hitachi power drill at home, which must be near 40years old now. Still works great. He'll never give up his Hitachi circular saw, so my brothers DeWalt will have to do I also bought a Hitachi 1/2 sheet orbital - beautiful machine.

I did however buy a Bosch green Li-Ion mostly due to budgetary constraints, not really needing anything better at the moment, and the fact that my last one (NiCad) is actually still going after quite a few years. Will probably buy a Hitachi or Metabo when it comes time to do some more serious work.
    Semtex fixes all

cfour,

I built a big shed recently including using one shots into steel and my panasonic 12V drill was great. Most of the bigger voltage drills are heavy to hold up for vertical work for extended periods. The panasonic has 3.5ah batteries and will drive hundreds of screws - so much so that one of the top woodworking magazines included a 15.6V panasonic in a review of 18v drills and I think, it blitzed most of the 18V drills.

I have two panasonics - a 12V and the 15.6V drill driver combo. I use them professionally on a daily basis and the 12V drill has been in constant use since 2004 and hasn't missed a beat. It also has a 1/2" chuck. The 15.6v drill driver combo is good but I find it a bit heavy.

Most people who try panasonics never go back to what they were using before.

FWIW

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast