Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Circular saw or a table saw?

Hi,

I'm new in this forums and I've built myself this as my only experience in woodworking

It's a computer case.

At that time I only had a B&D drill, B&D jigsaw, a laminate trimmer, and a palm sander.

I soon realised that my jigsaw couldn't make accurate cuts with stock 2cm thick cause the blade curves. I'm looking to get something that is small and portable. I'm by no means going into the woodwork industries, but every once in a while I would like to take out my tools and build something.

The shop person who sells me power tools recommended me to buy a circular saw, make a table, and mount the circular saw inverted underneath the table much like how the router tables do or like a table saw. I was thinking this is a brilliant idea because if it's easier to push stock
    through the blade I could mount it underneath the table, or if I need to hold it I can dismount it. Is this idea any good? I've read a lot of safety issues using table saws but I'm still not fully aware of each and every because I haven't used one. Someone has to tell me whether this is safe to do. I've seen a table Wolfcraft Mastercut 1000 that enables you to invert a jigsaw, circular saw and a router all in 1 table.

If I go the table saw route, what I'm worried is that it is bulky and I don't know where to get good quality ones at a cheap price. Importing these kind of things is a big no no.

Can anyone recommend me a solution cause I don't have much money to spend on power tools.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

oooh, you are bound to get a few different responses to this one!

I started woodworking last year, and bought A) a circular saw, B) a jigsaw, then C) a handsaw, then D) a mitre saw! In that order. Yeah, I wasn't real happy about that. I really didn't know a lot and expected too much from each saw's capabilities, coupled with my beginner skill level.

The problem I found with each was a) circular saw - nice for rough work, no good for fine joinery, its not possible to cut exact measurements without a jig. b) jigsaw nice for circles, disappointing for straight lines c) handsaw nice for straight lines, but I will take time to get good with it d) mitre saw lovely for straight lines, takes up a bit of space (I didn't actually NEED the mitre saw, because the jig I built for my circular saw gave me good results, I only got it cos I went halves with my dad who is building an extension)

If I did it again, I'd buy a mitre saw first up. maybe even a sliding compound mitre saw, as if was the only saw in my shop I'd want the extra cutting capacity a slider gives you. They are the simplest saw for a beginner, they give you an extremely accurate cut, and you can only build good pieces with accurately cut stock.

Would I sell my other saws - no way! Each will have its use, as each is designed for a particular purpose or type of cut. As I get better I hope to use them more and more.

And for me, a table saw is last on the list, because my experience so far has reinforced to me that there are three things you need from a saw - accuracy, accuracy and accuracy, and there is no way I'm settling for an elcheapo table saw.

Question Saws

G'day Rickster and welcome to the font of knowledge, wisdom wit, errudition and strong opinions that are the hallmark of these forums. I f you are not already twisted, then rest assured you will be if you stick around this neighbourhood.
    Two different beasts.
    One is portable and is compromised when placed in an inverted position in a table. This applies even to Triton work centres.Also if you want real power it lacks the grunt. Nonetheless you can get good results with this type of saw. There are whole books written about their use.

A tablesaw, when properly set up,will give you much greater accuracy and it has more grunt.

Your final decision may rest on what you really intend to do and how often.

Some very good advice in view from a master craftsman and a beginner like me.

The thing that holds me back is money. I cannot forever be spending heap loads of cash on power tools but I don't want to be spending heap loads of cash on bad power tools or power tools I may not use in the future.

For the time being I want to start out easy. I know I don't have much time to build things as my University will start soon. But when I find time, I would like to start out on a router table and maybe some tool organisation drawers/boxes/shelves.

I think of myself as a beginner, fresh and starting out. I know I won't work with exotic woods and hard woods as I'm too afraid to destroy it.

I've been reading some magazines that go on and on about table saws and how they use them for dadoes. But I can't see what's the difference between using a table saw or a router with a straight bit to produce dadoes.

If I decide to go down the circular saw tunnel, which should I choose from? I don't have Triton in Malaysia. We have Makita, DeWalt, B&D and Bosch.

As for the table saws, I don't know where to find them in Malaysia but I'm sure I can find a shop or two that sells them. But the thing with Malaysia is that they hardely sell good quality stuff so this table saw could be a "no namer".

So far the only tools in my arsenal that are branded are the drill and the jigsaw. My laminate trimmer is a brand from Indonesia which works very well, never broke down, accurate cuts but the thread that holds the base gets loose so it needs a change of screws every once in a while. My sander broke down, but ever since it's done its job. That's another question, I don't know whether I should be spending heaps on power tools considering I'm a beginner. Will I notice a difference with my ability?

I just have too many questions to ask and don't know where to start or even how to start.

Default Dado saw setups

seem to be almost peculiar to Uncle Sam. Don't know why.
    I'm with you. A router and a straight bit. Plus with the router you have the versatility of different shaped bits. Forget dado saws, not worth it.

A router table would be an excellent first project because it's pretty easy to build and then you can mount the router under the table and away you go. All you'll probably need to buy is a table insert, a couple of knobs, 1meter of t-track and a few screws. There are lots of router table plans in this Forum (including my router table).

Dado blades are considered too dangerous for Australian woodworkers (lol) but many people import and use them. Yes, a straight router bit will do the same job and it really is no more difficult.
    dave
    nothing is so easy to do as when you figure out the impossible.

Rickster,
    in your situation (limited budget, occasional woodworker) you might be best served with a good quality circular saw. Use it with a straight edge to cut sheet goods to size or clamp stock to a pair of saw horses to rip, moving and refixing the timber as you go to avoid the clamps and the saw horses. I've built millions of dollars worth of houses and boat interiors using just that, a jig saw, router and electric planer to do most work on site. I've got lots more gear now, but it's quite possible to get by with very little, it's just more convenient with more gear.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    Rickster,
    in your situation (limited budget, occasional woodworker) you might be best served with a good quality circular saw. Use it with a straight edge to cut sheet goods to size or clamp stock to a pair of saw horses to rip, moving and refixing the timber as you go to avoid the clamps and the saw horses. I've built millions of dollars worth of houses and boat interiors using just that, a jig saw, router and electric planer to do most work on site. I've got lots more gear now, but it's quite possible to get by with very little, it's just more convenient with more gear.
    Mick
    Seems like plausible advice. What would be considered a good circular saw from a bad circular saw? Should I be aware of any brands or models that take it easy from a novice like me?

Quote Originally Posted by Knurl
    A router table would be an excellent first project because it's pretty easy to build and then you can mount the router under the table and away you go. All you'll probably need to buy is a table insert, a couple of knobs, 1meter of t-track and a few screws. There are lots of router table plans in this Forum (including my router table).
    I have 3/4" mdf sitting in my backyard, but no idea where to get this laminate people so call them use or even apply on their router tables. I don't know how to successfully build a fence too. Where can I find "table inserts, a couple of knobs, 1meter of t-track and a few screws" that are relatively cheap but are of above decent quality that exports to Malaysia? I'm all out to build this router table as I can gain some experience building one, but if this means I compromise a lot in accuracy, maybe I should buy one? Also, should I make this router table so that it can fit a circular saw inverted? Like a 2 in 1 table?

Rickster,
    any well known name brand CS should be okay for what you're doing. For router table hardware you could check out the Lee Valley website. They've got a good range, good quality and excellent service and will ship all over the globe.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

Sorry this seems to be turning out to be more of a router table question for a newbie.

Are mitre tracks a must or can I do without it? I can't seem to find it on Lee Valley. I'm confused with the uses of the t-track and mitre track. They do exactly the same thing don't they?

Is this the table insert that is suitable for me? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...000,51208&ap=1

What knobs are you talking about?

Today I went looking at some power tools. Typically, what should I be looking for in a decent circular saw? I saw two circular saws with 7.25" blades, one had the whole thing in metal and the base plate was shorter and sort of more rounded, while the other had a plastic handle but the base plate was higher and squarish, none had dust extraction. One was LG; never heard of LG making power tools. Both had reasonable pricing. I'll have a look at DeWalt tomorrow and see any differences between that and the ones I saw today.

I also spotted a drill press. Now, could anyone tell me if this drill attachment is any good? http://www.wolfcraft.de/jcatalog_gen...7_product.html
    Cause this drill attachment is about as much as buying a "no name" drill press and if I do buy something to make accurate holes, I don't know which route to go. What should I be looking for in a drill press? It's tough to make decisions on power tools like these cause in Malaysia, there isn't such thing as returns, don't even bother asking for resale value.

Rickster,
    it may pay to start a new thread for each different topic, router table, saw types and features etc etc. There's been a multitude of threads on home made router tables which would be worth tracking down as the pictures will explain all about tracks and knobs etc. Personally, I worked for years with a router stuck through a bit of board. It had a piece of box section aluminium held on with F clamps as a fence.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    Rickster,
    it may pay to start a new thread for each different topic, router table, saw types and features etc etc. There's been a multitude of threads on home made router tables which would be worth tracking down as the pictures will explain all about tracks and knobs etc. Personally, I worked for years with a router stuck through a bit of board. It had a piece of box section aluminium held on with F clamps as a fence.

Mick

G'Day rickster,
    Like the above and several other replies, I started with a basic cheap circular saw and hand held router.
    As they say necessity is the mother of invention and when you have limited gear you learn more about what you can do with what you got.
    It is only in recent years when I got heavily into ww that I started accumulating gear.
    It was always the cc, the router ,a corded drill,hand saw and a square.
    you learn to build with what you got.

I would go for the circular saw, you can do everything you want with it.
    Cheers Andrew

Hi rickster

Like most of the guys here I started with cheapish tools { Mainly GMC as they seem to either work or don't work }
    I find I use the table saw {10" } as much as I use the circular , I probably wouldn't make my own saw table as you'll probably find it's annoying to keep ripping the saw out to use it { that was my experience with the router and table now have dedicated router for the table } and as was pointed out earlier you will probably be starved for grunt using an inverted circular

I Used Formply as the table top for my router table the black finish works like teflon and I just brought a a router table insert kit from Carbatec then to finish it

Cheers
    Glenn