Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 32yr old looking for possible position (has IT Experience)

Hi all,

Not sure if this will come to anything, but it never hurts to put some details out there and see what happens. If any more specifics required, please PM me.

Name: By Request (no, thats not my name, I mean get in touch.

Marital Status: Attached (10 years). No children.

Location: Southern Sydney (Sutherland, moving to Ryde/Epping area soon).

Experience: Various positions over the years, including:
    Computer Technician/Sales (Harvey Norman & Retravision), Accounts Receivable (small business, short term position, but I was quite good at it ), IT Management for large Real Estate franchise (2x servers & 50x workstations).

Have been self employed in mobile computer repairs/ IT Consultancy approx 8 years. Controlled all aspects including advertising, fielding calls, selling my services, invoicing, chasing payments. Onsite, email and phone support, with a 'knack' for giving good direction via email and telephone to solve problems where practical. Service home and small business clients, ranging from retail stores to solicitors.

Although not experienced in any particular other field, am not neccesarily looking for another IT position as I am fairly drained and fed up with computers. Will still consider a position that may not be quite as high pressure as being soley responsible for getting them fixed (as I have been whilst self employed). Not keen on 'hard sell' sales. I can sell IT products based on a technical know-how and good communication skills, but I am not a 'salesman'.

Other industries interested in: Real Estate/Mortgage broking/Conveyancing, Animal Management/husbandry/care

General interests: Animals (house full of pets), Kayaking, Fishing (specifically kayak fishing), Woodwork (VERY, very limited skills). Music (listening to, varied - Elvis to Ozzy Osbourne)

Can work autonomously, actually prefer it that way, however can take direction when required.

I feel I have excellent communication skills and can deal with all walks of life and backgrounds. As a result I have built up an excellent rapport with many regular clients, many of whom are 'freaking out' that I might not be there to help them for much longer.

Having been self employed for 8 years, Character/Work References will be available from current long term clients.

Open to change of career direction, even if not related to prior experience or interests. Not afraid of 'hard work', but am not interested in hard physical 'labour' or commission only work. I am willing to travel as part of my position where neccesary but am not looking for positions where the main function is driving (ie on the road all day for deliveries, etc). However I do have an excellent driving record with full gold NSW Class C drivers licence (never lost points) when needed.

Non Drinker (odd glass socially), or illegal drug user, however I am a smoker (I do respect non-smokers nearby, smoke outside at home, and never in the car with passengers, and all workplace regulations). I live on coffee.

Thanks for your time.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

North Ryde is turning into a bit of a 'Silicon Valley', so if you want to stay in IT, there are a stack of big organisations you can try. In a big place you'd be in a team, so the responsibilities would be shared out.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're planning your mid-life crisis, so go ahead and buy yourself a little red convertible!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes I know, thats what scares me, being so close to IT I might never escape!
    The mid life crisis sounds like an option.

Default Gratuitous advice

Don't mention yr age when applying for jobs.

You can't win. The employer may have an age range in mind and chances are you're either too old or too young.

Much better to get to i/v and impress with talent and experience than get culled before.

Legally employers can't discriminate on age, obviously they'll work it out on I/V but get there first.

Good luck
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Thanks Bodgy.

Take an early retirement and go fishing. Have you seen the Australian Kayak Fishing Forum: (AKFF) an excellent place to go if you are into kayak fishing. As far as the career goes... cant help / no idea. I go fishing once per week and think of fishing the other 6 days...

Very helpful Jimmy.

However, I am already a member of AKFF and also KFDU (www.kfdu.com.au).

We have been tempted to move to Tassie ourselves, however this cold spell is enough to put us off anywhere colder....