Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Should I seal or paint the floor or just leave it alone?

Folks,
    I've waited 30 years for this, and finally I am on the verge of getting my shed.
    At last a home for all my woodworking stuff!!
    No more moving the router table to get to the WC2000 to move it out of the way to move the jointer to get to the thicknesser - oh joy!!

I thought I had it all worked out, at least in principle, but when it has come down to the wire I am a bit confused.

My question is ....Should I seal or paint the floor?

I had thought treating the floor would keep the dust down, make it easier to clean, and stop spills soaking into it etc...BUT.. there's always one isn't there?...well several really ....The floor, by the way, has been finished with a helicopter so it's nice and smooth and looks OK now just 3 weeks after the slab has been laid.

I understand that concrete dust will only likely be a problem if the mixture had too much water in it ..BUT (number 1) how do I tell if this is going to be a problem as it's only been down three weeks?

I thought that if it was sealed or painted then it wouldn't matter BUT (number 2) all the info I have suggests that I must wait 12 WEEKS!!! for the concrete to cure before I apply a paint like Berger Jet Pave.

I had thought that a clear sealer might be the way to go and I had info that suggested that I only had to wait around 3-4 weeks after the slab was laid before I applied it..BUT (number 3) it seems that the clear stuff is susceptible to UV and requires re-coating after 2 years!! Now most of the slab will obviously be under the roof BUT (number 4) because I have three roller doors which will most likely be open, especially during the warmer months ( about 9 of 'em here in Qld) then the sun will get to a significant area of the floor. They tell me that adding a colour to the clear sealer will help with the UV problem BUT (number 5) not to any significant degree.

So, have I got this all wrong? Should I just leave it as bare concrete? I know that's the quickest but is it the best?

Suggestions please

Ian

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Congratulations Ian! How many floor plan drafts have you made?

I was going to paint my shed concrete but it ended up being moved in on way too quickly to even have a chance.

When I raised the question with HWMNBO last year, he said the best paint to use is the paint the mechanics use - of couse I've forgotten the name . The paint is grey, expensive, but any spills can simply be wiped off. I think it has some gloss in it as well as it is supposed to be reflective.

I hope this helps even a little.

Cheers
    Wendy

Thanks Wendy,
    Plans?? plans ?? Plans are for Girls!! - see earlier post on this very subject

I have a very rough concept of a layout but apart from where I intend to put my workbench, when I build it, I will play it by ear, as space is not a real problem at 6m x 9m (ooooo... I can hardly wait).

I suspect the stuff your talking about is some sort of two part epoxy, and I think it's difficult to apply and as dear as poison. Anyway my real issue the time I have to wait until I can apply something ---12 WEEEEEEKS !!!
    I don't think I have that much patience, so if I move in now will I regret not treating the floor with something. Obviously much easier to do when the place is empty

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
    Folks,

My question is ....Should I seal or paint the floor?
    Seal it, using a decent sealer, last job I did with sealing a floor we used a product from a mob in Box Hill (victoria), same stuff as used in commercial multi story car parks, was (3 years ago!) $120 per 20lt drum
    http://www.cementaid.com/

I had thought treating the floor would keep the dust down, make it easier to clean, and stop spills soaking into it etc...BUT.. there's always one isn't there?...well several really ....The floor, by the way, has been finished with a helicopter so it's nice and smooth and looks OK now just 3 weeks after the slab has been laid.
    only another week or so to go before it reaches near max strength

I understand that concrete dust will only likely be a problem if the mixture had too much water in it ..BUT (number 1) how do I tell if this is going to be a problem as it's only been down three weeks?
    no, the most common reason is working the surface too much, 3 weeks is enough to know, if you can gouge it now with a bit of wood it is most likely going to be a dusty job, the sealer I mentioned about soaks down 3 - 6 mm and 'sets' rock hard, if you do have a dusty surface, that will fix it.

I thought that if it was sealed or painted then it wouldn't matter BUT (number 2) all the info I have suggests that I must wait 12 WEEKS!!! for the concrete to cure before I apply a paint like Berger Jet Pave.
    speak to the above mob about sealing the floor...

So, have I got this all wrong? Should I just leave it as bare concrete? I know that's the quickest but is it the best?
    I wouldn't, but thats me

Leave it as bare concrete. Why creat work for yourself. Let it look like and become a shed and not some sterile environment where you'll get smacked if you so much as slop your coffee.

Terrian,
    Thanks mate - I came across an earlier post by you on the Cementaid products where you talked about a hardening compound called Diamite. I went looking on their web site and spoke to a Sales Rep and it looks like there might be a couple of options. One is a product called L.B.9. and the other is called Calres 120. I'll go to their Coopers Plains outlet to take look.

Rod,
    Don't tempt me

Regards

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Smith; 26th February 2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: unfinished - forgot to sign off

I wouldn't waste money painting concrete, just buy more toys with the money instead
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

How about putting down a floating wooden floor? Its much kinder on chisels when you drop them, not to mention a lot easier on your feet and back.

Sundance,
    The thought did flash through my tiny mind but it's just too large an area and then echnidna really would have a point. As it is I reckon it'll cost around the $200 mark to spread some sort of liquid about but as echnidna says the money may well be better spent on toys.

Rod1949
    - yeah I know what you mean, but I don't want a doctors surgery - just a nice place to work. This shed is a major part in my retirement plan. This is my one and only chance at this and I just don't want to miss an opportunity to get it right, so I'm canvasing the forum to see what others have/would have done.

Regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
    Terrian,
    Thanks mate - I came across an earlier post by you on the Cementaid products where you talked about a hardening compound called Diamite. I went looking on their web site and spoke to a Sales Rep and it looks like there might be a couple of options. One is a product called L.B.9. and the other is called Calres 120. I'll go to their Coopers Plains outlet to take look.
    No problem, their products are not the cheapest solution, but are amongst the better solutions.

Glad to of been of help. Good luck

This is a photo of the garage from our previous house. I painted the floor with Berger Jet Dry. Best thing I ever did. So much easier to sweep clean, and if needed you can even mop it clean (ever tried mopping bare concrete?) Looks better too, but that's a personal opinion. I did wait about 12 weeks before painting it. We still used it as a garage during that time, and just cleaned it (pressure washer) and acid etched before painting.

G'day Ian,

I painted my garage floor in my last house when I lined the garage to keep weather/dust/insects/heat out. I just used a standard concrete patio type paint - it was grey but it wasn't anything special.

I plan to do it again at my new house (haven't got around to it yet). The only downside was it made it a little more slippery when it was wet. On the plus side, I found it far easier to sweep up dust, also easier to see a small nail or screw that I dropped, and it just looked better - like I was in a 'real' workshop not just my old garage.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thanks for all your responses.

I think the bare concrete look will win out, if only from the point of view of the budget- which is shot to hell already!!.

It's been 3 weeks now and the surface is nice and smooth, seems hard, and isn't dusty so I think it'll be OK

Regards

Ian