Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Built in wardrobe designs

Hi all,

I would like to install a built in wardrobe in the spare room. I would like it to be custom sized, but as I have limited wood working skills I would prefer to get a flat pack to suit me, and I would install it.

Anywhere I can get some plans, or a cheap flat pack?

I am after a very basic design of sliding door and mainly hanging space. I will simply put in a couple of cheap premade drawers inside.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ikea have a few to offer. They also have some nifty little planner software that you can down load and play with the design. This may help even if you don't go for an Ikea kit.

Where are you?
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Sydney

Sorry, can't help you then!

Here in Brisbane, I've used a company, Kitchens by Kathie, who makes your cabinets to order and you install them. There's also a company called Second Chance Kitchens, who recycle old kitchens.
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

I did a couple of wardrobe interiors out of 19mm melamine when we had a renovation done. There's a mob in the Chatswood area, SYD (I think they're called Bills Board Factory) where you fax them a list of sizes and they cut them out of whatever sheet stock you want and do the edge banding, etc. I think it took a couple of days for the order.

The three wardrobes each had on side of shelves, and the rest hanging space. It cost me about $200 for all three together - about the price of buying the sheet stock from Bunnies - so cutting is near enough free...

All of it was pretty much perfectly sized and I just screwed it together with chipboard screws.

The one bit of grief I had is that while Bills Boards are millimetre perfect, the builder's weren't! Took some effort to make 90-deg corners to fit into 88-deg wall spaces...

Cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

Quote Originally Posted by Ozkaban View Post
    There's a mob in the Chatswood area, SYD (I think they're called Bills Board Factory) where you fax them a list of sizes and they cut them out of whatever sheet stock you want and do the edge banding, etc. I think it took a couple of days for the order.

The one bit of grief I had is that while Bills Boards are millimetre perfect, the builder's weren't! Took some effort to make 90-deg corners to fit into 88-deg wall spaces...
    Thanks for the info, I get to chatswood very often. Price sounds right

Square buildings...Do they make them anymore??

I got mine cut at Bismac in Victoria Ave Chatswwod. But you have to plan the layout cuts for a full sheet of melamine ie 1.2 m x 2.4 m. I planned it on a scaled down page with the cuts and each piece marked out for them. They were very accommodating.

The another mob is Johns Pineboard in St Peters
    http://www.quotify.com.au/kitchens/d...eboard_Centre/
    I haven't bought melamine from them only hettich hinges etc. However he has a computer layout system to work out the best way to cut what you want from the least number of sheets. They are also very helpful.

I ended up using Bismac because I think they were marginally cheaper and I'm also local.

There's also a place on Penshurst St Willoughby called (I think) Sydney Kitchens, whom used to do a service for handymen, ie get it together, ready for assembly and installation
    http://www.sydneykitchens.com.au/index.php?topic_id=1
    I'm not sure they still do it as I went through this exercise about 8 years ago

Hope this is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    I got mine cut at Bismac in Victoria Ave Chatswwod. But you have to plan the layout cuts for a full sheet of melamine ie 1.2 m x 2.4 m. I planned it on a scaled down page with the cuts and each piece marked out for them. They were very accommodating.

Sounds good - I will have to look them up next time. Bills Boards did the layout for me - they showed me the computer program where they punch in all the sheets and out comes a nice printout with the cutting layout... very cool.

Cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

We have a mob in Newcastle called OZ robes they do flatpacks but the end peices and infill panels are only Melamine if you dont mind that look.. I obtained the doors through Bunnies I just used Hollow core internal doors i setr them up to slide on a track also supplied by oz robes... Dont make the mistake i did though when building the robe select the tallest doors possible in relation to ceiling height to gain max access I used I think round 2100 mm doors and the ceiling are 2600 so i have about a 450mm - 500mm infill panel above that is fixed i could put 2 smaller doors above but dont want to go to the hassle and over time will just replace them and cut the infill panel back....

The latest is that Hume and Corinthian doors no longer make the larger 2340 internal hollow core doors with the embossed finish(woodgrain) finish and panels they only make a flat panel door in that size!!!

Dave

I might have lead you astray - You were saying wardrobes - I was thinking kitchens.
    In any event I'm sure that Bismac and John's would be able to help

BTW I joined everything with dowel and screws, you could use biscuits and screws just as easily

this is slightly off topic, but what kind of wood would you use for a built in wardrobe besides mbf? and where do you recommend to buy it in Sydney?

Thanks