Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    I understand completely. When I was your age my stuff was in and out of vans and trucks constantly. Now, in my later years, I mostly play hollowbody archedtops in my home. Funny how wives change over the years. Used to be a time she didn't mind black tolex Peaveys in the living room. Now, she seems to care. So I took up building 'furniture amps' for blokes like me who got older but still like to play. Make an amp look a piece of fine furniture and the wives are more acceptable to the idea.

I live in the States and have access to many amplifier building supplies. Should you be requiring anything specific, I would be happy to send it over the pond to you. I ship timber regularly, grill cloth wouldn't cost a thing.

thanks for the offer. may take you up on that at some stage. id love to build a great looking cab and amp like yours one day too. ill wait until the time is right though.

and again, great looking work

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Grill Cloth

Im finishing a few speakers off in the next week or two, Ill need speaker cloth for at least 2 pairs. Id like to get good quality as the speakers cost a packet, (Danish drivers and top line componants).
    Who do you get the stuff from?
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

I got mine through Rockler. They had three colors last time I looked. Here's the link.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...peaker%20cloth

Whoops! Looks like they've discontinued the white. Two colors only now.
    When all is said and done, there is usually a whole lot more said than done.

Default Other source for grille cloth

Put on a false moustache and spend a half hour browsing in Spotlight!

)

They have a number of different types of fabric suitable for grilles, and you can also pick up dacron wadding.

Doug
    "Nothing succeeds like a budgie without a beak!" :D

Go to Spotlight (female version of Bunnings) and check out material there. You can get the equivilant of proper speaker cloth for a fraction of the price, and you can get it in wonderful colours is so desired.

Forget the false moustache, just walk around with a limp wrist so the sales assistants don't give you funny looks. It's like your invading a private inner sactum at times.
    *****Integrity can be doubted by others, but it always remains within. The difficult thing is reaching karma and not six-packing the liars.*****

Grille cloth! what's that? Is that the stuff that spoils the look of your drivers....

just an update, after redoing the grillcloth on my cab with a bit thinner stuff (70% shadecloth as opposed to 90% which i realised i had used last time) and with a proper stapler, as opposed to thumb tacks. it looks great, doesnt vibrate with the low frequencies (was moving pretty far ~6-8cm) and is now plenty tight. only downside is the 18x18mm tas oak frame is pulled in around 6mm or so at the edges of the long side (640mm from memory) due to the tension. the vinyl around it is black so its not really noticeable, but shows the amount of tension i had to put on the thing to get it looking and feeling really nice and tight. looks very professional though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12