Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floatation Foam

Howdy Prozac, second post from the top explains.

MIK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Post Approved foam, Buoya by Thermotec

There are two approved (for commercial boats)foams on the National Marine Safety Committee's National Register of Compliant Equipment. Microlen by Thermoplastic Industries and Buoya by Thermotec.

If you were in Qld, I could sell you some Buoya
    http://www.thermotec.com.au/cms/inde...pecialty-foams

Call Thermotec's head offic to find your local supplier (yes they also make pool noodles)
    http://www.thermotec.com.au/cms/index.php?page=61

Bingo, this is the goo I mentioned. Two part polyurethane and the cat's meow, the bee's knees, the frog spit on a hot rock stuff to use. From a chemical stand point it's not a difficult thing to make and I was surprised with the reply about the lack of availability in your country. You're going to love this stuff, until it's time to remove (it sticks good). Mix smaller batches, because it expands surprisingly more then you'd think and within 30 seconds of mixing the process starts, so be ready. Also be careful about pouring it into enclosed places with limited escape routes. It's powerful enough to pop a deck off a boat if there isn't enough room for it to escape.

I use this stuff (not the exact brand, but polyurethane foam) to make molds and foils. I've also made decorative "ginger bread" like things for houses and copied imposable to duplicate carvings and moldings.

The Thermotec products appear to be in a several different densities, which is good for sandwich or cored construction methods or just plane old floatation.

Quote Originally Posted by PAR View Post
    Bingo, this is the goo I mentioned. Two part polyurethane and the cat's meow, the bee's knees, the frog spit on a hot rock stuff to use. From a chemical stand point it's not a difficult thing to make and I was surprised with the reply about the lack of availability in your country. You're going to love this stuff, until it's time to remove (it sticks good).
    G'day Paul
    This is the stuff I was refrring to in post #2 in this thread. I'm told it is still only available in retail as sheets, blocks & noodles - not available as a 2-part pour-in. A business user might be able to obtain the 2-pack, but I'm not able to confirm/deny that at this time on a Sunday evening.
    cheers
    Alan J

I have a boat that had poured in foam installed over 10 years ago.

It's of fibreglass construction but last time it was pulled for anti-fouling we discoverdd to good sized holes in one hull (it's Seawind 24 Catamaran) but had no idea because the foam stopped it sinking.

On close inspection there was no osmosis and no deterioration from having the foam installed.

No idea what the foam was but it sure works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12