Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Replacing kitchen doors and drawer fronts only

Hi

Long time lurker, but first post! Hello!

I'm wanting to 'refresh' the look of my kitchen by replacing the doors and drawer fronts only. Does anyone know of anyone in Perth who does this at an affordable price?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Why not pull the doors off and rock down to a kitchen shop and get them to make you some nice new ones and screw them on. Get a benchtop resurfacing company to come and do the top.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    Why not pull the doors off and rock down to a kitchen shop and get them to make you some nice new ones and screw them on. Get a benchtop resurfacing company to come and do the top.
    Thanks...I did think of that, but...this might sound dumb, but I'm worried they might not fit! I want the new doors to be bigger than the current doors (at the moment there are gaps).

Sorry to offer bad new .. but after over 20 years in this industry .. I can provide you with some knowledgeable advice.

After you do all this work .. the extra cost you will pay to have things custom made and retro-fited to your old existing cabinets will put you equal to or more tht a new kitchen . Do yourself a favour .. do a complete costing of this project (do omit things like trips to Mitre 10 for screws ..etc .. because there will be many of those trips!) and get a quote on new cabinets.

You might be suprised at what you will find. Door and drawer fronts are 75% the cost of the new kitchen .. so new fronts on old cabinets is not that mch cheaper.

Also .. when you are done dressing up the old kitchen .. you likely have not really improved the value of the house ... so your investment ..whatever it is .. is not as wise an investment as a new kitchen.

Just my opinon Cheers!!

If you can get offcuts from work for free, then it's worth it

Try making them yourself, I'm sure the cost would be much lower.
    - Wood Borer

not if you take into account the time and possible stuffups it isnt
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

By making them yourself, you can have any design you want, make them out of any material you like.

My impression with kitchen places is you can have any design you like out of the limited range in their current catalogue. Last year's patterns are no longer available. What are CNC machines for?

I know of people who have been told to replace all their doors with new ones because the pattern of the one damaged door is no longer in production What a load of rubbish and an underhanded way of making an unnecessary sale.

There are many alternatives such as small time operators who are happy to make one offs to any pattern or making the doors yourself.
    - Wood Borer

know of people who have been told to replace all their doors with new ones because the pattern of the one damaged door is no longer in production What a load of rubbish and an underhanded way of making an unnecessary sale.

if a kitchen manufacturer tells you that something is no longer in production ,they are not saying it to make more money ,you as customers make the final decision on whether to purchase or not anyway ,if you can find the product you are looking for after being told that it is no longer in production then good and well ,but my money is on the safe side ,its no longer available !
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au

I would at least get a price (or 3) on a new kitchen (uninstalled) just so you know. Then .. if you do it yourself and keep track of all the stuff you buy along the way and add it up in the end, you will atleast know what the difference was.

I am a woodworker like most of the people here on this forum. I have tools, machines and skills to make lots of things including simple kitchen doors.

I certainly would not replace my entire kitchen costing $1000's of dollars for the sake of a few doors that I could make in a few hours. Sure, if you don't have the equipment and/or skills to make doors then you pay someone who can.

It is a pointless argument from my perspective as we have a mostly solid timber kitchen and any repairs or replacements will and are done by me.
    - Wood Borer

sorry to burst everyones bubble here ,the origional post didnt mention the style/material/composition of the doors in question.
    Perhaps we should all sit back and ask
    1 what are you trying to match
    2 the material you are trying to match
    3 the style you are trying to match
    With this information we (collectively)can respond with the knowledge required
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au

Just finished replacing doors with new ones plus new bench tops.

Its a rental house, belongs to my daughter, she tracked down a guy on ebay who did doors finished in 2 pack Urethane enamel. I measured the doors sent him a list by email.

They arrived with a first class job especially on the paint. They were even buffed to get max gloss. Ordered new bench tops from Laminex. Havn't got the exact costs in front of me but it was a fraction of the cost for new kitchen cabinets etc from kitchen places.

The only thing I had to do was drill for the hinges on the new doors. I made a jig for them all the same just left and right . Had to be careful not to get them mixed up, but no problem. Took a day and a bit for the lot.

buffing doors just gets the grit from the air out of the finish ,a true poly sprayer will get a glass finish off the gun not buff.
    (just a comment )
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au

Gee, didn't want to start an argument!

I have timber doors that are falling to pieces. I just want something hardwearing and practical so I think I'll go with laminate. I got a quote to replace the bench top from Granite Transformation that I'm happy with, and now I need new doors. I also need new hinges etc.

I am going to get quotes to replace the whole kitchen, but this isn't hard as lots of places will quote me on that! It's just that none of them are interested in doors only. I just wonder why I should rip out perfectly good cabinets, seems a waste to me! But if it's the same price then I suppose I will do that and take the opportunity to put drawers in instead of cabinets in places. But still seems a waste... But we live in a throwaway society, don't we...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast