Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Carving set

Question Carving set

Looks like I'm off to PNG for a year or two so I'll probably have to abandon my lathe (boo hoo!) and other heavier bits of machinery until I return to Oz. While in PNG I intend to teach myself to carve, mainly rims of bowls and other relief type work. Could anyone suggest the basic chisels I ought to take?
    RFNK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I believe Stihl make a good carver...hehehehe maybe a bit big for what you want though

Talking

Rick,Neil should be able to give you the goods on this being a fully fledged carver of some note.
    Suggest that you e-mail him if you you don't elicit a response from him in this BB.(which I would find unusual)
    Cheers

------------------
    Johnno
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, bit early for Neil, check his response time, it will be about 1.00am. When the sun comes up he goes back into his lightproof box. Do not expect a response during a full moon either.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

G'day Rick

'Scuse me for a sec. Shuddup Iain ya bloody knowall.

Rick - I would buy Pfeil tools and the following should be adequate for what you want to do:

#1 x 6mm - #1s x 12mm - #3 x 3mm & 6mm - #5 x 3mm - #7 x 3mm, 6mm & 8mm - #8 x 6mm - #12 x 6mm - #1 knife. You will also need a fine Arkansas slip stone preferably one with a 60 degree angle for getting into the #12 V tool.

These are all pretty small tools mainly for working on bowl rims etc. Contact Mik International 08 8333 2977 Ask for a Pfeil Catalogue and Price List and use the above as a guide. You won't need too many big tools, but get what you feel you can afford. You can never have too many carving tools.

That lot above could set you back somewhere in the vacinity of $280. I really don't know the prices, just guessing.

Stick with the full sized tools not the hobby ones or the lino/block cutting ones. Find someone to teach you how to sharpen them before you leave or you won't get much done. The sharpening process is unlike any other edged tool. A properly sharpened carving tool is around 2-3 times sharper than a new razor blade and is polished so finely that you can see your face in the honed bevel. Many are also given a secondary bevel on the inside curve of the gouge to enable the tools to work smoothly when cutting with either face to the timber.

Hope this hasn't confused you too much.

Cheers - Neil

1:06am Jeez I hate when Iain is right.

KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Talking

Go one better Rick and spend some time with Neil in one of his classes if you can spare the time.
    Cheers

------------------
    Johnno
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.